Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Engineering question

Let's say you have a Lancer Evo of some series (or similar); Transverse (east-west) drivetrain with AWD. Would it be possible to distribute 100% torque to the rear with that drivetrain, and just, say remove the front CV shafts? My thinking here is the packaging advantages of east-west but with RWD.
(Might be handy how to know to disable the front wheels if Taurus SHO gets here, then presto RWD is back lol)
I remember when Top Gear came to Australia they had a Suzuki Swift but with an Evo drivetrain, but it was RWD. Does anybody know anything about this car also?

FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Engineering question

It all depends on wether the drive goes through the gearbox and to the front wheels before drive is distributed to the rears, or wether its split before then.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The older Suzuki Swift (early 90s) had a big brother called the Suzuki (Swift) Cultus which used the GTi engine (1.3L EFI (G13B)) and had AWD.

There were a couple of grey imports into oz...

Maybe that was the car?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah it was a current gen Swift, apparently with a Lancer drivetrain, yet RWD. It was at the show they put on at Acer Arena. Boss xr8, what if it goes through the gearbox, and then to a torque split device? are there any examples of cars where you can do this ? (100% power to rear wheels)
Old 30-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don't know, i'd assume you could. Google Haldex AWD systems and get some info on them, it should give you an idea how it works.

Its probably the most used type of AWD.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers. If someone could engineer a transverse RWD layout then that would be a major coup for the industry, but if it was that easy I'm sure it'd have been done by now.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don't know why they would want to. Easier to just go north/south than bugger around trying to get the power to the rears from an east/west.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Tobey
BF Ute...

There is a RWD WRX getting around with the plates VLKILLA.

Would be simple to do, just remove the front diff from inside the gearbox...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
nb_351
building the xe...

gtr skylines can be the same too, i think it might be electronic on those, as theyre normally rwd anyway i think... its like the 4WS you take the fuse out of the HICAS system
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
gtr skylines can be the same too, i think it might be electronic on those, as theyre normally rwd anyway i think... its like the 4WS you take the fuse out of the HICAS system

Yeah i ran my 32 GTR in rwd by removing the fuse for a bit of track day fun (fully sic uleh) but unless your launching the the thing off the line everywhere they spend most of the time in 2wd anyway.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Where it has been done in Subaru's and Skylines the engines are N-S to begin with.

Achieving the same thing when the engine is transverse is not as simple as suggested and disregards the whole car being primarily designed with FWD/AWD in mind, never solely RWD. The whole structure of the car will not have been designed to have all the drive (and torque) loadings applied from the rear wheels or for the front (steering) wheels to be undriven.

It would not be a wise move from an engineering perpsective.
Old 31-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
tweeked
N/A all the way

Turning the rotation through 90 degrees is one of the power robbers.

FWD with east west doesn't require it. RWD with a londitudinal engine requires it once. The config you mention it does it twice, the packaging benefits are outwieghed by the mechanical inefficiency and complexity.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post