Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

Default Westgate Speed Cameras

I have been told that the cameras on the westgate bridge use technology to pick up speeding motorists by how quick the camera can focus. This apparently is affected by dirty lenses and the massive movement within the bridge. Can anyone here add further to this. If true would make it very easy to beat speeding ticket given on bridge!!!

VilkasBAMIIXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would need sound technical detail on the cameras operation etc before making such claims. Unfortunatly I dont think this sort of information is generally availible to the public.
Old 29-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

No, doesnt work on camera focus, works on radar detection as well as sensors within the road.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #4
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
No, doesnt work on camera focus, works on radar detection as well as sensors within the road.
Sensors in the road?.. on the Westgate?? Hmmmm, I must get out and have a squiz next time i'm stopped in the unholy congestion up there.
Who, (bar some ricers coming home from the city at 4am) can possibly get up to 80kph to activate these cameras has me stuffed
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
I received my info from someone who installed cameras. I know the western ring road cameras were more reliant on sensors in road, which trucks would set off.
Old 31-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now for something interesting to us~~

Well on the way over to Melbourne, the 1st lane, which is right next to the rail, and is just near the end of its merge into the 2nd lane, has no sensors! So drive in that. Also the emergency lane on the way to Geelong has no sensors, so as long as you can see there is no one there.....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Now for something interesting to us~~

Well on the way over to Melbourne, the 1st lane, which is right next to the rail, and is just near the end of its merge into the 2nd lane, has no sensors! So drive in that. Also the emergency lane on the way to Geelong has no sensors, so as long as you can see there is no one there.....

Driving in emergency lane, which is highly illegal (signed), is absolutely crazy in the best of conditions. This practice which I often see with Melbourne Driver's, especially during peak times, should be more severly dealt with. The worst offenders are the bike riders.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
TTXPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Driving in emergency lane, which is highly illegal (signed), is absolutely crazy in the best of conditions. This practice which I often see with Melbourne Driver's, especially during peak times, should be more severly dealt with. The worst offenders are the bike riders.
Yeah it sure is dangerous at walking pace when the traffic is stopped... much more dangerous than moving around cars in their respective lane with no clearance, even though this is legal............................... :
TTXPC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 PM   #9
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

hmm I am a bit sus on the road sensor claim. I cant believe how quick some people go over that bridge sometimes btw, craziness!

I ahve a good question though, what distance do those camera's have?

Because if I know one is coming up ill slow down say 300M's before, give it a wave, then get back to the speed i was doing.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its only working where the sensors are. Like a 1 metre patch. And I wouldnt go in the emergency lane either, its just that on the way over towards Melbourne, it IS NOT an emergency lane, but a MERGING lane.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post