Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default would you say something?

Ok maybe i am too picky but here it goes. I put my car in to be fitted with extractors and cats today, i supplied the items. When i spoke with the bloke he said it would cost around the $400 mark. I asked them to leave the old cats and headers in my boot, which was written on the job sheet. Anyway when i go and pick up the car the total comes to $625, im ok with this as it needed a new 02 sensor and labour was $510.

Anyway i get home and look in my boot and the cats are missing, when i specifically asked to keep them as i can get $100 for them. My fuel economy had gone up, it was sitting at 14L/100 and was 16 when i got back in, 14 was the average for 200km i had done. Why would my car have been driven? And finally when i was looking under the car to check out what the job was like i noticed a nice new scrape under my front bar.

I plan on calling them in the morning and asking them if i can come and get the cats. I know they kept them so they could get the money for them.I wont bother asking about the scrape as i know they will just deny it.

So do you guys usually speak up when your not happy about something, or just keep it to yourself?

fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: would you say something?

your economy figure would increase any time that the car is running and not been driven, i.e if it was left idling etc

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Probably should have looked in the boot before you left... Call them up though, its not their gear to keep if you told them you want it

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had window tinting done, is a small dent on tailgate, and a 3cm deep scratch near door handle that were certainly not there before I dropped it off.

Its a work car, so wont bother saying anything, even if it was my own, I am sure they would deny. Cant be bothered....

For sure you should go get your cats though!

Yeah, your fuel average would go up with the car sitting there during leak tests, revs etc which is perfectly as you would imagine.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah damn right. The difference is how much you can be ****** arguing for something

One time I put my car into get tyres and it came back with different locknuts. The only reason I noticed was because the key I got back was black and the one that I gave them was chrome.

Of course I asked them where mine were and they flat out denied it.

I would not have cared if they said sorry we put the wrong ones back (after all locknuts are locknuts) on but if they ******** about that then who knows what they might
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yeh kenz when i got home i realised i should have done that. Cheers ratter makes me feel better.

i just want to add as well. a couple of years ago i put my old xr8 into Ford Townsville for a service. i walked down the road and then saw this awesome green xr8 pulling an awesome skid and then fishys all up the road. Well it was awesome until i realised it was my car. Long story short the bill came the $650 and i walked in stated my case, took my keys and left without paying. Ever since then i have been paranoid about leaving my cars with anyone. Since then only one person has dealt with my cars and always treated them and myself right. I go to someone else once and i am let down again. The scuff on the front bar is not small, that with the cats has just really annoyed me i guess.
Old 18-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Speak up, don't get narky with them but just mention what you have said here and see what their reaction is - it may not lead to anything but at least it puts the message across that you are aware of what they have done.

Did they actually drive the car any distance or could it be the trip computer starting to recalculate the information due to your new setup?? I would only think that if they did drive it, it would only be a short distance to check for rattles etc.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it may have been an innocent oversight not to throw the oldies back in the car, by all means get onto them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Why wouldn't you say something? You asked for them to be left in the boot, and they weren't. What are they going to say? Sorry, we threw them out.

As mik says, probably an innocent oversight.
Good luck in the morning with your call
Old 19-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #10
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I used to be a bit of a chump and wouldn't say anything even if I knew I had been ripped off or the job not done properly, for the fear of confrontation.
Now that I am older and work hard for my money, I have no problems speaking my mind, especially when it comes to my car.
I go by the theory that it costs no more or takes no more time to do a job properly.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Depending on the outcome leave a review on Google. If future customers are like me then when they Google the company for contact details etc they'll also read a review while they're there.
Old 19-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
Whiskeyonesix

I'd ask them about the missing cats. As they're on the job sheet you've got written proof they'd leave them for you.
You could probably get fairly aggro about that if you wanted to... although whether it's worth it is a different matter.
But I say ask them. I'm sure that Job Sheet would constitute a Written Agreement if you knew a freindly lawyer

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #13
-RADICAL-POSTURE-
!

Mate I do not trust any one.
The day I dropped off my car to AAMI for some minor panel damage was the same day my car was found 3 hours later speeding at 100k's in a 60 zone by a safety camera, these A holes thrashed my car got done speeding in my car and I'm still trying to find out who the F was driving my car at the time. The most annoying part is I can prove I was not near the car at the time but I cannot find out who was driving the car at the time... AAMI blame the panel beaters and they blame AAMI. Will be back in court for the 3'rd time for this crap.

Current car 2018 Mustang GT 10r80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlHqV...yer_detailpage
-RADICAL-POSTURE- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #14
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -RADICAL-POSTURE-
Mate I do not trust any one.
The day I dropped off my car to AAMI for some minor panel damage was the same day my car was found 3 hours later speeding at 100k's in a 60 zone by a safety camera, these A holes thrashed my car got done speeding in my car and I'm still trying to find out who the F was driving my car at the time. The most annoying part is I can prove I was not near the car at the time but I cannot find out who was driving the car at the time... AAMI blame the panel beaters and they blame AAMI. Will be back in court for the 3'rd time for this crap.
The only people that drive a car from an AAMI center is the panel beater. The car goes to the center, gets a quote once a quote is done car is picked up by repairer. All within a few hours. There is no reason for an AAMi employee to drive a car. If a car is suspected to have any problems with steering or suspension, AAMI will arrange a tow truck to pick the car up and take it to the non drive center.

Back on track. Yes I would go and get the cats back. Why let the workshop get money for your scrap?
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #15
munners

Whan anything like this happens and you go to complain there are two important things to remember.

First, keep it civil. Most people in business are good operators and their first priority will be to keep you happy. They may be unaware of your problem and want to help you. If you start off all aggressive even a good person is going to be less likely to help you even though they may still do it.

Second, and maybe more important, is know exactly what you want to get out of the discussion. Are you speaking up just to vent (in the case of bad service) or do you want something done like a scratch repaired or in the OP case, the return of the cats?

Its suprising how many people complain without knowing what would actually make them feel better!

Munners
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely go back and ask for the cats - if you saw $100 on your front lawn, and it was yours, would you pick it up or just let it blow away in the wind? But like said earlier, don't go in agro; politely let them know that they forgot to put the cats in the boot. You can then (gradually) escalate from there if you get resistance.

I'm also surprised you accepted having to pay 50% more than what you were 'roughly' quoted. I know part of the extra was the O2 sensor, but labour came out to 25% more than their original guess-timate. Any time I have been given an estimate, and they then determine further work, parts or other expense is required, I have been contacted first for them to get my authority for the extra. Only time I have not been contacted and the price did not match the quote is where the end cost came in under what I was quoted.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go get the cats back for sure
As for the additional costs, they gave you a ruff estimate not a set in stone cost
If they are incompedant in their work and charge you for this incompedance on an hourly rate, yeah sure youve grounds to complain
If the cost has risen due to unforseen circumstances , they have every right to increase a ruff estimated cost

Bit like getting a engine rebuild cost , how can anybody give a set in stone rebuild price without first pulling the motor to bits and checkin all parts
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And then when they find additional parts/costs etc are required, I feel they should run it by you first. Otherwise they can just underquote a job to get the work, and then gouge the customer with the additional parts/labour that was not quoted.

Each to their own though, and I understand that the OP is not concerned re the additional costs and does not intend raising it with the shop that did the work - just putting it out there that I don't think it unreasonable to expect a call to get authorisation for anything above and beyond what was quoted, irrespective of whether the original quote was a ball-park guestimate or not.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm assuming they actually did put new cats on and just didn't gut the old ones and stick them back on with a spit and polish while keeping the new ones to on-sell...

Don't want to cast aspersions on the shop that did it, but it wouldn't be the first time something like that's been done...I find myself marking anything like filters that I'm getting replaced now after discovering a few interesting things about even large dealerships and their "replacement practices"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
HenryFordJr

I would say something for sure, if they don't act on that I would threaten them with contacting Consumer Affairs or the likes..

This goes to show you that you really have to trust anyone working on your car, this has happened to me in the past so I am extra cautious.

By the sounds of your fuel economy they have taken it for a good strap, I always reset my trip meters and note my total KMs before my car goes into any workshop..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
your economy figure would increase any time that the car is running and not been driven, i.e if it was left idling etc
Is that correct?

When my car is idling the Instant Fuel usage changes from L/100km to L/Hour, cant see that changing the Average Fuel use.

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #21
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFordJr
SNIP

Is that correct?

When my car is idling the Instant Fuel usage changes from L/100km to L/Hour, cant see that changing the Average Fuel use.
Yeah, it is correct.

Although the display changes to L/Hour when you are not moving, the L/100 will still increase, as behind the scenes the L/100 is simply averaging ALL fuel used and distance travelled, so it does include fuel burnt while you are not moving.

That is why you will see your L/100 turn to crap when you are in heavy stop/start traffic or when you leave the Macca's drivethrough (depending on how recently it was reset).
Old 19-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

As everyone has said ask for your parts back. Looks like they just got caught up in the job as maybe most people ask for them to be disposed of.

Mums Porsche went in to have panel work done, it came back with grass on side skirts and a few more Km on the clock, definitely not going back there.

So it does happen and I guess it can only be stopped via taken photos of your speedo before going into workshop as thats the only proof.
Old 19-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #23
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ok so i gave them a ring this morning. She said they where super busy and if i could come back in on Monday. Said they usually sell them for $30 so i might have to buy them back. Was going to speak to her husband about it but he was too busy this morning. I looked at the bill the 02 sensor extension was $85, they are on ebay for $20 - $30. I am going to cut my losses here, i will get the cats out of them though. I'm going to speak to my mechanic about them ( he recommended them) when i get my car retuned next week, and tell him he's not worth the time.
Old 19-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should not have to buy back property that is your own - they are your cats, not the shop's, and you have it clearly marked on the work order that the removed cats were to be returned with the car. The $30 they missed out on that they would have usually made from on-selling your old cats would have probably been added to the price you paid anyway.

Shop does sound a bit questionable, as someone good at what they do would have known O2 extension was required and would have quoted you O2 extension upfront, rather than something they encountered along the way.

Wouldn't worry too much re price difference between eBay and what you were charged for extensions - the eBay ones may not be of the same quality - and even if they were at least you can go back to the shop if you the extensions are faulty or fail in a short period of time. I still say they should have known O2 extensions would be required when you were first quoted.

Interesting that they are too busy today for you to collect your cats - they should be sitting somewhere in the workshop and it would take all of about 30 seconds for them to bring them to you at the front counter (its not like they would have removed eleventy-hundred cats from other cars since your job was completed a couple of days ago). It was their error, so why can they not take the one minute to resolve their error today, rather than you have to call through on Monday which might suit them better but may not suit you?

Putting on my conspiracy theory tin-foil hat, your cats are already gone but they will be removing similar cats off a vehicle today, which you can then collect on Monday. Removing tin-foil hat, possibly a genuine error, and possibly cats are still there but they just want to get the few jobs booked in for today out of the way so they can watch the wet weather action from Sandown.
Old 19-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #25
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

iggle piggle you are on the money. But wait the plot gets thicker, i just had one of the biggest rants i've had on the phone ever.

So i gave my car a tub this morning and the left and right front fenders have nice scratches from the top to the bottom where he has rubbed on the car. They are not too deep and will hopefully buff out, but that is beside the point. I gave him a ring and said it's poor workmanship and he flat out denied it, "oh it wasn't us mate". i said only one mechanic has ever worked on this car and i know every single little scratch on it. so seeing red i brought up the front bar and then he got really angry at me saying i cant accuse him of this. I said i knew he would say that and then he got even more angry.

My calmness seemed to really pi$$ him off as he knew i was right and he couldn't get out of the giant trench he has dug himself. I was going to go straight in there but i don't want to let emotion get the better of me down there. I said i will be in monday when i pick up the cats and he can see for himself.
Old 19-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #26
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Nicely done mate. Sounds like an *** I would just get the cats and go at him with the scratches aswell.