Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #31
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Default Re: Murphy's Law Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Without hijacking the thread. I think if, something isn't working & you go to show someone that they don't work, and they do. That's some what ironic.

If I scaled a fence post while intoxicated, and tried to walk the railing - Murphy's Law would dictate - anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Murphy's Law 'Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong", is only the overhead Law. I have it hanging on my wall. There's about 30 odd laws under that header. Including from memory:
The chance of toast landing on the floor buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet
Self Start starters won't
Everything takes longer than you think
You wil always find something in the last place you look
Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening.
Murphy's golden rule: whoever has the gold makes the rules.
A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.

Etc. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, is only the most famous.
Bit of thread railroading trivia for ya'll.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Bought a second hand car, got it comprehensively insured. But denied the offer of the windscreen warranty. left work that day and bam a big chip in the windscreen.
You ring them up, get the windscreen insurance, and then ring them a month later to claim on the windscreen.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #33
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
Still, the said wipers now working in the presence of the mechanic screams of irony much more than the definitive example of Murphy's Law, of 'Anything that can go wrong - will go wrong'

As mentioned, ironic - Something is ironic if the result is the opposite of what was intended;

Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #34
brendo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Still, the said wipers now working in the presence of the mechanic screams of irony much more than the definitive example of Murphy's Law, of 'Anything that can go wrong - will go wrong'

As mentioned, ironic - Something is ironic if the result is the opposite of what was intended;

Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
Only screams of irony if you don't understand irony, which you clearly still don't.

There's actually not enough information given in the wiper scenario to determine if it is ironic or not. Given that the action of taking the car to the mechanic is to show him that the wipers are not working,

If the wipers suddenly working again is a random occurance completely unrelated to the act of driving to the mechanic, It is not ironic.

If the act of driving to the mechanic unjams the wiper arm or jiggles a lose connection such that the wiper begins to work again, then that would be ironic.

So not enough info to really say either way, It does however fit with Murphys law as explained in my previous post, but again, If I want to show my mechanic that the wipers not working, then the wipers suddenly working again would be something that can go wrong, and it did go wrong, thus fitting Murphys law perfectly.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #35
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
Murphy's Law 'Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong", is only the overhead Law. I have it hanging on my wall. There's about 30 odd laws under that header. Including from memory:
The chance of toast landing on the floor buttered side down is directly proportional to the cost of the carpet
Self Start starters won't
Everything takes longer than you think
You wil always find something in the last place you look
Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening.
Murphy's golden rule: whoever has the gold makes the rules.
A Smith & Wesson beats four aces.

Hmm... When ever I am looking for something and then find it, I stop looking. Ergo, it is found in the last place I looked!

The last place you would think of looking is a different matter...
redman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #36
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman
Hmm... When ever I am looking for something and then find it, I stop looking. Ergo, it is found in the last place I looked!

The last place you would think of looking is a different matter...
Surprisingly, that was my thought. Murphy's law merely states the obvious.

onfire: The wiper scenario is still covered by murphy's law, in that, the fault disappearing, when taken to a pro, is something that has gone wrong (in the eyes of the car owner).
But: Splitting hairs, you clearly don't get the point of Murphy's Law, or understand irony ("any definition of irony—though hundreds might be given, and very few of them would be accepted—must include this, that the surface meaning and the underlying meaning of what is said are not the same", thankyou Henry Fowler), the word ironic, is misused constantly in today's society, in essence, making it's use ironic.
Ergo, this misuse has developed the said "result is not what waws intended" (paraphrased, very loosely), but it is still not ironic in a random occurnece, only if said person spent heaps of time/money and the issue was faulty wiring.

Now. More Murph's moments please!
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Last edited by Lotte; 24-11-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post