Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #91
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Defensive Driver Training dangerous??

I can speak from experience here, most other can't, you can choose to believe me or not, your call, but . . . . . .

I got my licence in 1975, I did 4 right turns in a very small country town and was handed my licence by the Policeman, no reversing, no parking, no freeway driving, no night driving, no rain driving, no compulsory 120 hours of supervised driving - FACT!!!!

Today, a person must do 120 hours of supervised driving, they are required to demonstrate certain skills as laid down by the State Licencing Authority, the ability of the Licence Testes to deviate from this is so restricted it is not funny. They must pass a knowledge test and in Victoria a computer based risk assessment program. There is no way a person can pass a test with the minimum of skills and knowledge as laid down by the State Licencing Authorities. I have sat in the passenger seat on Vicroads Licence tests as a driver trainer.

The requirements these days as so far superior to what have been before it is not funny.

Now saying all that there can always be improvements to the system.

I find it hypocritical that people on here who were tested in a lesser set of circumstances criticise the current drivers for poor licencing - hang you heads
Old 28-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #92
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
is it really? was it too easy to obtain your licence? have you accepted that you aren't really properly trained to drive and undertaken extra training?

i don't believe in skidpan type stuff. most people get themselves into sticky situations simply by not following existing road rules. those types of extra driving courses won't change that.
Yes, it is. Yes, it was too easy to obtain my licence. I got my licence in 1998. I did a reverse park, a hillstart and a U-turn, stuck to the speed limit, checked my mirrors every 7 seconds and didn't hit anything. Licence earned.

By todays standards that is easy. We've come a long way, but I think more needs to be done to help young drivers learn the art of driving safely.

Yes, I have undertaken extra training. I did a defensive driver training course at the end of last year. I learned a great deal and would recommend it to anyone.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #93
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it was easier "in the old days" (in my case, 1982) to get your licence (but to us at the time it didn't feel like it).
It's much harder now...or in theory it is anyway.

If it's so much harder, and more strict, one would imagine that the general standard of the average driver would have to be increasing...but it blatantly isn't. It doesn't seem to have much to do with extra traffic on the road now either or the fabled "loss of courtesy and manners"...it just seems to be a lack of common sense and the ability to see the consequences of your actions. In "the bad old days", coppers would sit by the roadside and pull you over or chase you and pull you up, giving you a ticket as well as a holy hell of a revving that sure made you think about your actions. Now it's a photo turning up two weeks later.

What's the answer then? I have no idea...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #94
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From my tavels it seems to be 'international' license holders and older drivers who are the most inconsiderate. They seem to be performing the most illegal manouvers on the road whilst holding everyone up at 20k's under the limit. Also by 'older' I mean 30's plus.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #95
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Yes, it was easier "in the old days" (in my case, 1982) to get your licence (but to us at the time it didn't feel like it).

If it's so much harder, and more strict, one would imagine that the general standard of the average driver would have to be increasing...but it blatantly isn't. It doesn't seem to have much to do with extra traffic on the road now either or the fabled "loss of courtesy and manners"...it just seems to be a lack of common sense and the ability to see the consequences of your actions. In "the bad old days", coppers would sit by the roadside and pull you over or chase you and pull you up, giving you a ticket as well as a holy hell of a revving that sure made you think about your actions. Now it's a photo turning up two weeks later.

A simple answer would be to have retesting every 5 years. Firstly a theory test, followed by a pratical test. You could have a leeway of say a year, so you could remain licensed if you stretched it to 6 years before being retested. Obviously this would require a huge increase in the number or driving examiners.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #96
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

What people need to understand is that it isn't necessarily the licencing standards that are the issue, it is the people, they are less patient, bigger risk takers, more prone to showing off, bigger egos and the biggie, they are MORE wealthy than we were.

that is right, they have too much money and they flaunt it. There is no way known I could afford to pay the fines my sons have on the wages i was earning.

Kids now days are far bigger risk takers, they lack respect, do I need to go on?

Therein lies the problem, it is attitudinal not licencing, generally maturity will fix the problems, but not always
Old 29-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #97
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
and the difference when you got your licence is?
Not much

and it hasn't changed any
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post