Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #91
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Default Re: No offers? Firm? WTF?

I think i could add a little light on this. When I sold my wifes BA XT, that was a fairly low price but remained flexable merely because you type in that model car, about a billion come up, therefore if you want to have any chance in hell of selling it for such a car, you must remain flexable!

But on the other flip, when I sold my EL Twin Turbo XR8, I was pretty damn stern on were I stood with it and would happily tell any dreamers to just F off. I found the best way to combat this was to express my firm status. When I sold this car, I dare say, there are not to many ELs out there like mine, but at the end of the day, reality was, it was still a 1997 model car. It still had the standard T5. It still had over 200,***kms on her. Baring this in mind I made it a very respectable price range, but firm as all hell. The work of the build is still under warrenty so for crying out loud, I can afford to dig my heals in and say hell no. But back to my original point, each car has its owns specs you needs to be realistic with. You cannot be the same selling and XT for instance as a T3 T Series. Thats just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #92
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Hmmm I had my EF ghia up for 3.7k firm for months and kept getting offers for 3k constantly, it offended me so I just put it up for $4500 ended up selling it for $4200 lol.

excellent example ^^ yes people are stupid

its a shame seller's have to play the buyer's STUPID game to make a sale.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #93
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
you contradict yourself there... you say the price is firm, but then say if a decent offer is made it will be entertained...

thats exactly why people (like myself) dont pay a lot of attention to 'firm'.

if i go and look at a car thats advertised for 10k firm, and i think its worth 9.5, il offer what i think its worth. if the seller gets offended at that , ah well, i dont buy or sell cars to make friends. i do it to get me the best possible deal.
How is that contradiction? "Firm" Doesnt mean "Thats the only price I will sell at". Everything is negotiable. Its all about connection with the seller. I dont know how many times Ive heard of a 10k asking price and keep getting "Give you 7500 for it" But connect right and offer that 9500 and your in.

When you have a "Firm" grip on a pen, doesnt mean it cant be snatched out, slapped out of your hand, or get tickled & drop it........

No contradiction.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #94
DrDamage

My 2nd car cost me $10,000 exactly. The guy wanted $10,000 and wouldn't allow it to leave his place for any less. The car was worth that much, he knew it and I knew it. So I coughed up the $10,000.

Sometimes I think there is a certain price, no point beating around the bush with offers. Just take it or F#@$ off and kick someone elses tyres.

But yes on the other hand, it's always good to find that bargain at a low price.

Checkout my: Project XD Sundowner.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #95
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum
How is that contradiction? "Firm" Doesnt mean "Thats the only price I will sell at". Everything is negotiable.
certainly as far as this thread goes, the majority of proponents for 'firm' type sales 10k firm means 10k, not a cent less.

i agree with you, everything is negotiable to a point.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #96
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Firm prices or not ? .....Doesn't worry me either way.
Haggling, games, stupid offers, the ridiculous waving of cash? .....Can't be bothered.
Obsessed with selling high and buying low? .....Got better things to do with my time.

Buying or selling I just follow the 'fair asking price' method.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #97
AU Mont
Banned

it goes both ways

when selling i price the car lower than anyone else because selling cars sucks balls bigtime, yet still people make stupid offers

but then again, when looking for an impreza for the wife, we found one cheaper than anyone else on carsales, so i took the 6 hour round trip with $500 less cash than the asking price in my pocket and came back with the car. Was great because we never lost anything on it when it came time to sell it
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #98
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Seems to be a few on here that say firm selling their cars, because they don't need tyre kickers coming around wasting their valuable time they could be using to earn money.

All I can say there is, don't bother trying to sell your car privately. There are private buyers out there doing the same thing. We can come across cars that are buckets of bolts, yet the owners say they're show room condition. So it's wasting out valuable time.

Unfortunately in this day and age, there are shonky people out there waiting to rip poor innocient hard working people off. I'm not insinuating anyone on here is in that category, but we do have to be cautious what we are getting, hence wanting to negiotiate.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #99
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Seems to be a few on here that say firm selling their cars, because they don't need tyre kickers coming around wasting their valuable time they could be using to earn money.

All I can say there is, don't bother trying to sell your car privately. There are private buyers out there doing the same thing. We can come across cars that are buckets of bolts, yet the owners say they're show room condition. So it's wasting out valuable time.

Unfortunately in this day and age, there are shonky people out there waiting to rip poor innocient hard working people off. I'm not insinuating anyone on here is in that category, but we do have to be cautious what we are getting, hence wanting to negiotiate.
So if in the event I was selling a car that was a little unique and you were interest in, I told you blah blah blah. And it was all true. From the power output, to each and every stone chip. With this honestly put forward in the advert, is it wrong for me to mark as firm that is within a respectable price range?

Its not that I dnt want ppl to call and enquire, Im happy to answer any questions, but wether it be Im saving for my box set of Vampire Diaries, or this amount will pay off my house and make me debt free, It is the sellers choice to say what they want in the advert keeping honesty in mind with advert and all communications with potential buyers. You want to know how often I vacuumed it, I'll tell you. You want to know if the front bar has any scrapes on it, I'll send photos to you. But when I say firm, thats just the way it is and dont waste your time or mine in trying to adjust that fact.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #100
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Hmmm I had my EF ghia up for 3.7k firm for months and kept getting offers for 3k constantly, it offended me so I just put it up for $4500 ended up selling it for $4200 lol.
Haha, that reminds me of a Falcon that I was selling years ago, people would ring up and make stupid offers without even looking at the car, when I refused they never showed up, so I upped the price a couple of grand and ended up selling the car straight away to the first person that looked at it at the advertised price

Was a good week that one

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #101
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently sold a car, I wanted $12,000 for it minimum as that was what I considered realistic when compared to others advertised on the net.

So I advertised it for $12,500, I only had two interested parties, the first tried to play hardball came in at $11,000 moved to $11,500 and then walked when I insisted I wouldn't go below $12,000.

Less than a week later I got offered $11,500 by potential buyer No2, again I stuck to my guns and said $12k and told them I 'd already turned down $11.5k last week. They bought the car for $12k.

Funny thing was the first buyer looked at the car 3 times and got a mechanic friend to check it out so they obviously wanted it.

I never used the terms "firm" or "no offers" but I was firm and stuck to my guns, all depends on whether you really have to sell or just want to sell.

I wanted to sell, but didn't have to, I would have just kept the car if I didn't achieve the desired price.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #102
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how many potential buyers people are alienating when they say rubbish like "no test drives!", and "no tyre kickers!" or even "no gawkers" (as I saw in one memorable advert)...?

Someone might be really interested in the car, but they're just not sure, and a quick test drive would seal the deal. Someone might be interested but want to have a couple of looks first before they made up their mind ("tyre kickers"). Those people could well be right back with the cash if you didn't scare them off.

Saying "no tyre kickers" or "no test drives" is like a shop locking the doors behind a customer and saying they can't leave until they buy something, as they only want serious buyers and not lookers...
Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #103
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I wonder how many potential buyers people are alienating when they say rubbish like "no test drives!", and "no tyre kickers!" or even "no gawkers" (as I saw in one memorable advert)...?
I've never been too sure what that actually means. I assume (hope) it means don't bother unless you're ready to buy a car, which is fair enough.

I'd never look at a car unless I get to drive it though.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #104
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

You sure it's not, 'no test pilots'? i.e trying to weed out the people who just want to take your car for a spin with no intention of buying.

A test drive to me is an integral part of purchasing a car. I'd never buy a used one without taking it for a drive and I would never order a new one without taking the same model out for a spin. The closest I've come was when I bought my R32 DSG new, having taken the manual version out on a test drive.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #105
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

4 pages on the ins and outs of how someone decides to sell a car...

If you are not happy with the way a car is advertised, move onto the next one.

I have seen some pearler of ads written and ridiculous prices advertised, I have a giggle and move on.

If you are after a car and you are a serious buyer, the car, regardless of how it is advertised will end up being yours if it is truly what you want.

It isn't a matter of how it is advertised in the end, it is how to conduct the transaction that gives you a result.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #106
Dave3911

Mountain out of a mole hill this thread.....

Selling anything is just a big game. Buyer wants it as cheap as s/he can get. Seller wants as much $$$ as s/he can get.

Both will always be at the opposite end of the scale and both are always on different sides. Lots of people talking on this thread about being "insulted" or "offended" by low offers. Toughen up and welcome to the real world. Someone insults you, or ignores your "firm" price condition. Don't sell. It's pretty simple. Upset they wasted your time? Feel like crying? Spare me & go eat some concrete.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #107
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

If I think a price is way beyond what I think something is worth, I'll start by asking, "are you hoping to get near your asking price or is it just a starting point?" Many years ago my XY GS wagon was advertised at $28k and sold for $10k. You have to approach it in the correct manner. You either agree with the seller as to the value or you don't.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #108
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
Mountain out of a mole hill this thread.....
This is "The Pub" section of the forums after all... a couple too many schooeys here maybe !
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #109
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Around in circles this thead is going.....
Closed Thread