Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Thirsty Dog
Champion Bloke

Default Help Required to Select Right Suspension

Got the ute (Series 1 I6 AU) back from a $14 Pedders check today. I wanted them to check it out as it had some serious issues. As expected the cost to fix it up was pretty heavy, but seems fair.

Front Suspension

Shocks: URGENT - FAILED! LH leaking, requires replacement
Lower Ball Joint: FAIL! RH excessive movement, requires replacement
Lower Control Arm & Inner Bushes: URGENT - FAILED! Bushes torn, requires replacement
Upper Control Arm & Inner Bushes: FAIL! Bushes torn, requires replacement
Radius Rod & Bushes: URGENT - FAILED! Bushes worn causing excessive movement
Sway Bar Links: FAIL!Worn

Rear Suspension

Shocks: FAIL! Soft, lacking control, requires replacement
Springs: FAIL! Isolator pads missing
Leaf Spring Bushes & U Bolts: FAIL! Shackle bushes worn requires replacement

Other

Steering Gear: URGENT - FAILED! Leaking, requires replacement

They wanted $2250 to fix all that. However, I reckon for that money I can get 4x new springs, shocks and complete front + rear bushing kit provided I fit most of it, if not all, myself. I'll also get a 30mm whiteline sway bar for the front, I'd do the rear too but they don't make them for the AUs apparently??

I've been told Nolathane do good bush kits and kit number EVOFORD4 appears to completely do the front and rear? It's ~$725 on eBay. I also need help picking springs for the front and shocks for all corners. I have no idea what is good/bad. Any help would be awesome.

I want to leave it at stock height as speed bumps already just scrape the exhaust! I don't do much towing anymore, but I do like going to a hoon in the hills.

What do you recommend?

Thirsty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Default Re: Help Required to Select Right Suspension

If it was my ute id get a second opinion, the Pedders check is all good but some places make things sound worse than what they really are. That's just my opinion.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

the front shocks rear shocks sway bar bushes and rear springs you could change urself easy enough i believe radius rod is also easy to change however unless u plan on doing certagy and paying it off slowly you can get it done alot cheaper from another place. And yes whiteline do make swaybars Leaf Spring Rear (ute & 1 tonner)
R Sway bar - 20mm heavy duty BFR58 Click for Product Detail 1 Ute only excl wagon- check after market muffler clearance - non adjustable

from this link

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...=8%2F98-8%2F02
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
BHDOGS
Banned

Also i believe stock shocks from factory were monroes on the sedans not sure on the utes but i put new monroes on the front of my car and it takes the corners well and isnt to harsh. Im putting gabriel ultras on the rear next week as i got them for such a low price i couldnt not will test them besides in future you can go for the expensive **** if your really keen on it. As for bushes ive heard nolathane are to harsh as control arm bushes ect and to use regular rubber bushes however i myself am gonna put nolathane in anyway as mine isnt a daily and i like things strong!
Old 21-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Thirsty Dog
Champion Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZINGA
If it was my ute id get a second opinion, the Pedders check is all good but some places make things sound worse than what they really are. That's just my opinion.
Yeah I'm going to book it in at a Ford service center and get them to do a report for me.

It's not like I didn't know that there was major issues either. when I go over bumps I get knocking from the front end. you can even feel it. Also when you take off or corner, even really easy there are groans that come from the rear. It's almost a metal on metal sound or maybe a bush where the lubrication has dried up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
And yes whiteline do make swaybars Leaf Spring Rear (ute & 1 tonner)
When you click on the install instructions link on the swaybar page it says it is for a 4/2000 onwards vehicle (i.e. Series 2 AU onwards). Mine is 03/2000 (Series 1 AU).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
As for bushes ive heard nolathane are to harsh as control arm bushes ect and to use regular rubber bushes however i myself am gonna put nolathane in anyway as mine isnt a daily and i like things strong!
Yeha I don't mind a hard ride. It should tighten things up and I've got 235/60 tires (or there abouts) so there is plenty of absorbtion there for bumps etc.

Last edited by Thirsty Dog; 21-04-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 21-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Day-mow
rexnet

Some of these are really easy to replace. And even if you replace them your self then take the car to pedders to do what you can't do you'll save $$$ on mark up and labour.
Personally I'd suggest avoiding Monroe. Over priced. If your wanting a affordable alternate but still good I'd look at BOGE shocks turbo series. A few guys on here run them and are very happy with them. Link pins are also a 10min job and can be sourced realitivly cheap

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pedders "safety check" is well known as a ripoff they do it cheap so they can exagerate what is wron and quote inflated repair costs. that being said their rear leafs are good get some munroe shocks and king springs and get a decent reputable mechanic to fit a nolathane front kit and ball joints.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i must be getting old, to do all that work including alignment, replacement of the steering rack and offer some warranty on the job........it does`nt seem to bad to me.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
bingoTE50
Steve

Go to a mechanic and get a roadworthy done,then you may get a clearer picture of your problems.
Pedders are over the top,no tolerance's are accepted.
How may kays you done , a million !! Cannot believe you have all these issues at once, the thing must be undriveable !You would be scrubbing tyres out in no time.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Thirsty Dog
Champion Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
pedders "safety check" is well known as a ripoff they do it cheap so they can exagerate what is wron and quote inflated repair costs. that being said their rear leafs are good get some munroe shocks and king springs and get a decent reputable mechanic to fit a nolathane front kit and ball joints.

Their pricing might seem a bit over the top but like any business they have to pay their guys. I can accept labour charges but marking up on parts is pretty gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i must be getting old, to do all that work including alignment, replacement of the steering rack and offer some warranty on the job........it does`nt seem to bad to me.

Yeah it doesn't seem too bad, however, seeing as I am able to do most of the work myself I might as well go ahead and do that. I'll learn new things and it should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
Go to a mechanic and get a roadworthy done,then you may get a clearer picture of your problems. Pedders are over the top,no tolerance's are accepted. How may kays you done , a million !! Cannot believe you have all these issues at once, the thing must be undriveable !You would be scrubbing tyres out in no time.

Only done 129 000. But the owners that had it before me had it going up and down corrugated roads on an almost daily basis. When it wasn't getting smashed there it was getting raped by Broken Hill roads - if you ever go to Broken Hill you'll know what I mean.

The issues I'm having at the moment in order of how serious they seem are:
  • Medium to heavy knocking from the front left area when going over sharp bumps in the road - rail crossings for example.
  • Shudder when breaking - I thought this was from warped rotors but Pedders said was from worn control arm bushes
  • Groaning from rear under acceleration or cornering - Pedders said it was because the leaf spring pad bushes were missing.
I am pretty set on getting the complete Nolathane bushing kit and going a complete set of Monroe GT Sport shocks and a complete set of King Springs (Low). I’ll also whack in a Whiteline 30mm sway bar and potentially on in the rear too it they make them.

Last edited by Thirsty Dog; 22-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 23-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Day-mow
rexnet

If your handy with tools man the pedders is a good guide on what to replace. You replace it. You've got your car back up to standard. How ever I really would advise against Munroe products. I've heard quite a few stories about them being a let down and for the price as well

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 23-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Thirsty Dog
Champion Bloke

I got the front rotors machined today and re fitted them after work. Turns out I was right and Pedders were wrong. The shudder under breaking was caused by warped rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
If your handy with tools man the pedders is a good guide on what to replace. You replace it. You've got your car back up to standard. How ever I really would advise against Munroe products. I've heard quite a few stories about them being a let down and for the price as well

This is what I plan on doing. What do you have in oyur car with regards to shocks/springs? I noticed on eBay I can get a full set of of the Monroes for $450.
Old 24-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
BHDOGS
Banned

monroes are fine like any product some of them crap themselves some dont they got a 3 year warranty in any case.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty Dog

This is what I plan on doing. What do you have in oyur car with regards to shocks/springs? I noticed on eBay I can get a full set of of the Monroes for $450.
I have BOGE turbo's in the front and KYB Excel G's in the rear. My fronts cost me $100ish ea. from car torque products in kent town SA. And rears were $140ish a pair for Mem off eBay. Both are good products I've herd a few stories about monroe's going dead after not long.

Your choice though.