Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #31
Patto90
23yo with way too much hp

Default Re: Infringement question ???

Not all cops are bad eggs, I've had two good experiences, being on P plates in my recently sold VE SV6 commodore ute with a few mods (exhaust, lowered, 22" wheels etc etc). First one was minor, it was late at night and I had my foggies on from earlier in the day when it was actually quite foggy weather, he had just been dealing with some other idiots in at the Newcastle foreshore and waved me over with his torch, gave me a bit of a lecture and then let me go, I'm now quite conscious of not driving with fog lights on when not needed so I learned that lesson but a couple hundred dollar fine wasn't needed to teach it.

The other was also in Newcastle after going to dinner with the GF one night and I got pulled over for a drug an alcohol test, with the drug test you have to sit around for 5-10 mins to get the results, one highway patrol officer had his flashlight out and was quite closely inspecting the car which made me slightly nervous as I knew the wheels were definitely not within specifications, he quizzed me a bit about the car, making sure the quad tips were just aftermarket and it wasn't a V8 (car had been debadged) and then moved onto the wheels, asked me what size the wheels are, to which I sheepishly replied 22", expecting him to rip out a canary he inspected them a bit more then told me "they look great mate" and continued to admire the ute as I drove off, we need more cops like that, it made my night little things like that increase people's respect for police and ultimately make it easier for them to enforce the law.

I'll also add I always treat officers with 100% respect, that seems to be the fail safe way to at least minimise any fines etc you get, go nuts and let the expletives fly when you drive off but it wont get you anywhere apart from in deeper **** if you let the po po hear it
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #32
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Hi I got booked tonight off the highway patrol for crossing an unbroken white line at an intersection to go into a right hand turn lane . I entered the lane a bit late where the line was unbroken . Pleaded with the officer as I was the only car on the road at the time to let me off with a warning as I wasn't speeding and did not impede any traffic . He declined and said its his job to book me for braking the law . I wasn't impressed . It's the 1st time in 18 years I've been booked . Anyhow . He did not give me any paper work , he just handed my licence back and said I'd receive the infringement in the mail and lose 3 points . I thought they had to hand you the written infringement on the spot . Is this not the case ?
wait 8 weeks if it doesnt turn up in the mail he was pulling your chain.

if it does turn up send in a letter stating what a champion you are and havnt been booked for 18 years. you will get off. works for me
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't like this rule. I always cross an unbroken line turning into the street my works in. I can either cross the unbroken then slow down for the turn or I can slow down to 40 in a 80 zone and cross the line when it's broken.

It seams safer to just cross the unbroken line then slow. Less risk of getting a hit up the *** by someone who is impatient and not paying attention.
But hey never let common sence get in the way of a car accident.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 AM   #34
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I don't like this rule. I always cross an unbroken line turning into the street my works in. I can either cross the unbroken then slow down for the turn or I can slow down to 40 in a 80 zone and cross the line when it's broken.

It seams safer to just cross the unbroken line then slow. Less risk of getting a hit up the *** by someone who is impatient and not paying attention.
But hey never let common sence get in the way of a car accident.
Turning into a street or property is not changing lanes...... so im not sure why you dont like the rule? The rules say you can cross a solid white line to enter a property. You cant however change lanes or overtake someone crossing a solid line....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Turning into a street or property is not changing lanes...... so im not sure why you dont like the rule? The rules say you can cross a solid white line to enter a property. You cant however change lanes or overtake someone crossing a solid line....
I agree with the rule within regards to changing lanes.

What I don't like is when you want to turn left into a smaller side street and the left turn lane is way to short, normally 2 car lengths, so you have to slow down before entering the turn lane.

In this situation Id rather cross the unbroken line into the 'parking' lane then slow down for the corner.

Some guy I work with told me off for doing it the other day. I just think it's a safer way to do it.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #36
lindian
Starter Motor

You will never win with these guys, they are hell bent on getting you off the road than getting your taxes as they make more money from the revenue they gainn from public transport
lindian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #37
washoutbeach

Take it to court ftw
washoutbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #38
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I agree with the rule within regards to changing lanes.

What I don't like is when you want to turn left into a smaller side street and the left turn lane is way to short, normally 2 car lengths, so you have to slow down before entering the turn lane.

In this situation Id rather cross the unbroken line into the 'parking' lane then slow down for the corner.

Some guy I work with told me off for doing it the other day. I just think it's a safer way to do it.
In that case you probably have no choice (and I have done it sometimes too) as its best to get out of the way and slow down without jamming brakes on, but some take it too far and drive in the bike/parking lane for 50 or 60m.. all depends on the situation i guess. The downside of doing this is that while your slowing down in the bike/park lane (and i have seen it done!) some idiot going faster then you overtakes you and then cuts infront of you before you hit the actual turn lane.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The road where I always cross a solid line is an 80 zone. I tested it out and you have to slow down to 30 or 40 in the main lane of traffic if you want to turn without crossing the solid line.
With the average driver up your ***, I think driving over the line at 80 then slowing is quite a bit safer.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #40
gtfpv
GT

the infringement turned up today .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #41
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
some idiot going faster then you overtakes you and then cuts infront of you before you hit the actual turn lane.
try the other way round........

when entering my residential area from the main rd,
I have to watch in the left hand mirror, that no-one is racing up on the inside parking lane to turn left, as I reach the proper turning area with broken lines.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #42
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
the infringement turned up today .
On the back is the SDRO website where you can lodge a leniency claim, however, the nature of the offence doesn't appear to fall into any of the categories.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #43
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Infringement question ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Mate, you did it - cop it on the chin.
Lack of signs and physical barriers is B.S.
You as a motorist understand (or are meant to if you have any sort of intelligence) what line markings mean what and are meant to follow them.
The cop DID show discretion with his call - if he had of thought it not worthy, you wouldnt have been pinged for it.
Quit crying about it and learn from your mistake.
Sick of all these "wah wah wah" threads when people cant take responsiblity for their own actions.
And, yes, i have copped fines too - but i chose to man up and not crawl on here to sook about it like a baby.
Honestly dont know why these sort of threads are allowed to exist.

So, let me get this straight, you are sooking about someone else sooking ( as you put it ) on a thread that you are not forced to join in on.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #44
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Mate, you did it - cop it on the chin.
Lack of signs and physical barriers is B.S.
You as a motorist understand (or are meant to if you have any sort of intelligence) what line markings mean what and are meant to follow them.
The cop DID show discretion with his call - if he had of thought it not worthy, you wouldnt have been pinged for it.
Quit crying about it and learn from your mistake.
The lines nor the signs are clearly visible at night, particularly since your attention is on 4 lanes of potential 70kph traffic that you're merging with. The lines are not visible from the exit until you cross over them with your lights due to the camber of the road and the fact the area isn't lit until you cross over it.. and at that point - it's too late.

I understand why they don't want people exiting the servo and entering Foreshore Rd, in heavy traffic that would be a dicey move and I travel that way into the city several times a week but it was the first time I'd ever had to head that way after exiting the servo. The signs are poorly positioned and a divider should be installed as they have installed 50 meters further up the road if their goal is to inform and discourage motorists not to make that turn.

Been past there several times since at night (including last night), same cop car sitting in the same spot.
Old 14-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #45
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patto90
I'll also add I always treat officers with 100% respect, that seems to be the fail safe way to at least minimise any fines etc you get, go nuts and let the expletives fly when you drive off but it wont get you anywhere apart from in deeper **** if you let the po po hear it
Amen to that.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #46
gtfpv
GT

thanks for the advice guys . in the case of this infringement . i did get off with a caution , due to having a 10 year good driving histroy , and the nature of the offence ( crossing an unbroken lane ) .
which means i receive a caution notice in the mail with no demerit points or fine applicable . a file note goes on record of a caution which means i cannot claim leaniency for another 10 years .
if you have a 10 year infringement free driving record you do not have to write a letter , you can just ring them , i took that option .
. thanks again .
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #47
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

good result mate.
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #48
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Well done, I just resigned to paying it and taking the hit.

Must be a good earner for them, have since driven past there around a dozen times early morning and that same cop car has been sitting there at least 50% of the time.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #49
gtfpv
GT

i'd like to take this oportunity to thank DAVWAY for his understanding and remarkable advice on this matter