Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Redlight/speed camera false positive?

Anyone else had a problem with the redlight/speed-camera at High/DonSt in Bendigo? Went thru it this morning on a green light (two cars came thru behind me) at 58km/h (was watching the digital speedo on the FG which reads higher than actual road speed) and it flashed. Same thing happened a few months ago in the Commode (again, positive not speeding) an no ticket or anything? Coincidentlly both times there were cyclist riding thru the intersection .. not sure if this is an issue?
When I spoke to people at work, the guy who sits beside me and the one behind me said they saw the same camera flashing at different times this morning.
I suspect this camera is flakey .. doesn't inspire you with confidence that it's remotely accurate.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Redlight/speed camera false positive?

COuld it be a test site. They are testing camera and flashes etc?

There is a big test site in South Melbourne on Kings St.

Has a sticker that says Test site.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't they flash every now and then as a calibration?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Don't they flash every now and then as a calibration?
Yes they do, and this camera in question does this, I have experienced it on some early morning's, it is very much operative though, don't think for one min that it is a fake, it is also a speed camera not just a Red light.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yes they do, and this camera in question does this, I have experienced it on some early morning's, it is very much operative though, don't think for one min that it is a fake, it is also a speed camera not just a Red light.
Yep .. hence the fact that I was driving looking at the speedo rather than the road, thanks to systems like this.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

There is also one the same on the intersection of Marong Rd/Eaglehawk Rd.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi OzJavelin are you talking about the camera flashing or the actual flash flashing. The flash will light the intersection up. If its a green or purple light it will be the camera calibrating it self, as others have said.

From my first post I thought you ment the whole intersection gets flashed.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Yep .. hence the fact that I was driving looking at the speedo rather than the road, thanks to systems like this.
The one time you want to be looking at the road is at intersections - but these stupid things make you stare at the speedo instead.

It was probably calibrating or testing - I wouldnt worry about the flash.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i wonder if anyone has used that after a crash

"Wasn't you watching the road?"

"No, i was watching my speedo"
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to the road safety experts who used to post on this forum regularly, you can keep your car under the limit by just looking at the speedo once a minute or so.

When I approach an intersection with a safety camera, I slow to at least 10 below the limit, then concentrate on the intersection. I always have been tailgating, but hey these cameras improve safety so no one will hit me.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
tweeked
N/A all the way

Ironic Speed Camera point 53

Distract drivers travelling at a safe speed through intersections by flashing lights at them.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Gspec ZL

I got flashed on bell street in preston crossing st georges rd a couple of months back. Shocked as i was not speeding and the light was green i went back to have a look (it was my first experience with one). It seemed to be flashing every car that went through. I havent got any fines either.
Gspec ZL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
Gspec ZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Distract drivers travelling at a safe speed through intersections by flashing lights at them.
It actually did give me a fright it was dark so it was quite a flash and I couldnt believe it was happening. Made me nervous waiting for the mail as well.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
use cruise control. very user friendly in the FG's. don't have to keep looking at the dash every 2 seconds then.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
use cruise control. very user friendly in the FG's. don't have to keep looking at the dash every 2 seconds then.
It's a bit hard to use the cruise in the centre of town, with traffic flow etc.

If people are that concerned with getting caught in this circumstance, I would reconmend the over speed function that beep's/alert's.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
i use mine in all speed zones, 40 to 110 and anywhere in between.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Gspec ZL

Quote:
I do this in my AU, but the Fairlane doesnt work under 50 annoying in those pesky school zones that seem to stretch for ever and ever.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I know some people do, but I personally don't understand using cruise in town, in particular at this intersection that the OP is talking about, it is one of if not the busiest intersection in town, with traffic everywhere, you are on and of the accelerator just as much as the brakes, to use cruise if you had it already in set mode and you used coast/res, it would take that long to get back up to speed, you would be hindering all other drivers, as cruise does just that when you let the cruise control the vehicle back up to speed.

And then you have the disadvantage of other drivers infront that you will have to wait for aswell, all in all to use cruise in town at intersection's like this one is a waste of time and I think dangerous, and more complex to use in this instance then just controlling the vehicle yourself by your own mean's.

Fair enough to use on semi urban road's where the speed limit is 70klm + and the flow of traffic is constant.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

i probably do it much more now in my FG than in previous models i've owned. the FG setup is awesome.

what cruise does do though, is highlight how much people are 'on and off' the throttle, and often for no real reason except that they travel too closely to vehicles in front.

i acknowledge that cruise can't be used in many traffic situations, but there is a lot of people that still believe that its something only to be used once on the open road.

i use it everywhere, and even in medium to heavy traffic. i just adjust it to suit. if everyone feels the need to get to 60 at every opportunity in the shortest time, and then brake because they've caught up with the traffic flow, then on the throttle because they've noticed they aren't doing 60 etc etc.. sometimes i'll just set it to 58 give or take and cruise along nicely.

people come up with all sorts of reasons etc, but if everyone followed a standard 2-3 second rule regarding following distances, there would be less carnage, except i find that everyone normally needs to get where they are going yesterday. i used to be the same, but now leave a good 10-15min earlier for any journey and the difference it makes is amazing.

i also understand that my comments are fairly general and not applicable to all situations.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I typically do use cruise in town (because of the early hour I go to work traffic is usually light). On this morning I was in the left lane and came up behind a cyclist who was taking his fair share of the lane so I had to move into the right lane .. But also had to wait for a car to my right to most ahead. So I was off cruise for awhile and slowing down .. And coming up to a known red-light / speed camera .. And looking at my speedo, trying to avoid the cyclist, etc etc etc ........ Otherwise I would have used cruise
Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

If people are that concerned with getting caught in this circumstance, I would reconmend the over speed function that beep's/alert's.
Ok, so now I have to take my eyes off the road at every speed limit change to adjust the speed alert.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post