Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ch7 Ads!!! >:|

When I used to watch the V8's (lost interest for a number of reasons the ad situation was only one of them) what used to anoy me was you would come back from an ad break having missed an incident only to have the safety car come out, and watch it do 5 laps then throw to an ad break as they start raceing again

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #32
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nearly had to watch it, I'm flat on my back due to some insane pain and had emptied the TiVo of all it's stuff I had been saving

Feeeewwww restoring dreams is on TVS

Old 20-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #33
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Advertising is part of FTA TV. Dont like it don't watch it. Chanells are restricted as to how many adds they are allowed to show per hour. There is NO guarantee there will be a safety car during any hour or any part of the race/s for that matter. If you want to cut out Crompton and Skaife then where do we find out FREE about the series/drivers/interviews/info? Should they just show from the red lights going out to the chequered flag without any commentary? That would cut costs and hense less adds. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIINN NNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
I remember when PayTV was first introduced, it's a lot different now and guess what more adds. You are paying for less adds.
For Blownv8au can you record the race and watch it immediately after and FF through the adds?
Personally I gave PAYTV away, soooooooooo many channels and nothing to watch.
Yeah thats what i usually do but the is styff all adds in it anyway compared to 7. And paytv has gotten bad with adds in general, guess i'm only paying for the extra chanels these days and not add free tv.

Weekender. AU XR8 s2 sedan. 427 windsor, t56 magnum. 3.9 locker.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

The actual amount of time between ads and the duration has just become an absolute joke..

On a side note... Has anyone else noticed how Roland Dane has a lot to whinge about when anything doesn't go 888's way...

UPDATE>>> WASN'T EVEN 30 SECS WHEN ADS FINISHED TO COMING ON AGAIN... FFS!!!!! ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH......!!!!!

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #35
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you want to cut out Crompton and Skaife Should they just show from the red lights going out to the chequered flag without any commentary? That would cut costs and hense less adds. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIINN NNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Yes Crompton & Skafe are boooooooooooring there tech bits are VERY low rate and I would imagian only beneficial to someone who struggles to find their fuel filler cap.

Like I said before the ads are only 1reason I don't watch it, it's the **** week coverage in general coupled with the 2brand format that puts me to sleep

Old 20-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

How good are these last 10 laps!!!!

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last year I bought a Panasonic DVD Recorder. The hard drive can hold over 200 hours. To watch the V8's, I set it to record, then start watching the recording about 2 hours later. The unit keeps recording while I'm watching from the start and I finally catch up near the end. On the way I fast forward at high speed through the ads and fast forward at a lower speed through boring bits. So a 4 hour telecast usually takes about 2 hours or less to watch ... with no f'n ads.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Hmmm pretty sure last year america got add free/very little ads on their american channel.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got Austar, the only benefit there is no ads during movies, everything else also has ads, but usually only advertising other shows and the ocasional product ad.

By the way, with free to air TV how many of us are signed up for income protection and funeral cover now? LOL.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #40
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid05xr6
That may be true, but i can remember when it was on 10, a v8 event was an all day thing, it would start at 6 and wouldn't finish til like 5 in the afternoon, on 7 they usually put a football game on in between races, fill the races with ads to pay for the coverage and just in general do a poor job of it, sell it back to 10, at least they tried to give the viewers something to enjoy!

True, but I don't think Ten would make it an all day viewing anymore. Such is the compitition and huge expense of running a TV network today. Someone must pay for it.

As for advertising not working (from an earlier post) ... I've gone and made a purchase after seeing an item advertised during a V8SCC telecast, on more than one occasion.

Yeah .. some adverts are somewhat annoying, some are funny, but they do give you time to make a drink or have a leak or whatever.
Old 20-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

you do all realise that TV , radio, magazine, etc companies are not in the business of providing entertainment. they are in the business of selling advertising space and presenting those adds to the public. the programs we watch, listen to or read are all just a means of product delivery.

the more popular the show the more adds there will be because thats when they can deliver the product to the most people, nobody is going to pay for adds that are played when nobody is watching, listening, or reading .

having the adds is just a trade off for us having the opportunity to use their program. if there was no adds we would not be complaining about the quality of the program because there would simply be no program to watch.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #42
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There adds dont work and never will.
I mean I broke down to day in my maloo ute right out the front of my local Coates Hire outlet, those blokes dont know a tractor from a shovel, the manager some fat guy comes out to offer his help by rubbing his **** allover the front guards, I thought stuff this and went to KFC for a zinger burger, when I was at KFC I thought, I know Repco can help me so ill go there but at the last minute I remembered Supercheap have 20% off, today only of course! My girlfriend said I was an idiot because Bunnings have everthing I need and lower prices are just the begining. As if she would have a clue, shes the blond chick on the Jim Beam commercial. So I thought stuff this Ill call one of my mates but my vodafone mobile just hasnt been the same for the last 6 or 7 races now so I dropped into my local Telstra store, its how we connect the young bloke said, I dont care how you do it mate I said I just need a phone that doesnt run second (sorry Craig) all the time, so I got through to my mate and we went to the pub and drank oursleves stupid on JD and Coke. My mate said i should drive home responsibly but that kind of talk belongs on the back of commodores. I thought stuff this so I traded the Malloo in on a 335 GT, thanks Allan! I gave it another rev and headed home. Its all good, I got home and watched 60 minutes with its new host Brad Jones, man that bloke makes 60 minutes feel like a week.
Not a bad day in the end got home and watched WD take another win, Im over those commercials there so repetetive.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #43
Brodes
Brodes

CH10 used to do a great job, they made it a decent whole day event which really showcased the quality of this sport. But since CH7 have taken over I hardly follow it. They do a terrible job & they may have improved now a little bit, but when they initially started televising delayed races in preference to the AFL that's what mainly threw me away as a fan.. And yeh the races I have watched are in my opinion crammed with ad breaks that go for way too long.
I understand they've got bills to pay & profit to make, but they've also got viewers to hold on to & fans to please. I've even opted to try watching it on the net streaming from Bigpond which is not free, but they still televise the same amount of adds for the same length of times! Bigpong is huge over advertising mob though, but that's different story.
Either way, we have no option, paid or unpaid veiwing will be loaded with advertising.
I'm also wondering if the amount of ads gets way too much, so much that the V8's start losing enough fans & viewers to be noticed, can & will the V8SC board step in and have a part to play in changing this?
Old 20-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #44
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

lol ^^^^ nearly stopped watching tele all together these days , i understand the ads but i got better things to do than watch a box for an hour to see a 20 minute show . watch the last ten of a race /football/ whatever to see results ..and no way would i pay for tv ..

though i would be rather annoyed if i payed to put sponsorship on a car that never gets seen :/
Old 20-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #45
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes
I've even opted to try watching it on the net streaming from Bigpond which is not free, but they still televise the same amount of adds for the same length of times! Bigpong is huge over advertising mob though, but that's different story.
Being a Bigpond sponsored event it doesnt count to your download though.
Old 20-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #46
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Being a Bigpond sponsored event it doesnt count to your download though.
I still pay for my Bigpond plan but.
Old 20-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #47
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
lol ^^^^ nearly stopped watching tele all together these days , i understand the ads but i got better things to do than watch a box for an hour to see a 20 minute show . watch the last ten of a race /football/ whatever to see results ..and no way would i pay for tv ..

though i would be rather annoyed if i payed to put sponsorship on a car that never gets seen :/
Yeh I'm the same these days, hardly watch the box at all, if I do it's either ABC24 or SBS for the docos. The rest is mostly full of commercial non-sense.

O.P. -A bit off topic sorry...
Old 20-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #48
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

I remember watching a NASCAR race in Montreal, it was either the first or second time Marcos Ambrose went up there to compete in the 2nd tier NASCAR series.

Anyway, it was raining like all buggery and of course there wasn't much action going on in between restarts. It was the first time they had pulled out their rain tyres so the NASCAR boys weren't doing so well.

What REALLY impressed me was the way the network handled it. The commentators basically said "we have got our fill of advertisements in, from here on out it is going to be 100% racing".

Have a quota, meet it, and whatever happens AFTER that quota let the race run. I don't have a problem with ads for paying the bills, I do have a problem with ads interrupting race changing events or ads interrupting a live broadcast such as Bathurst.

Oh, and let the commentators have the ability to bring us BACK to the action half way into an advert break if things heat up.

The way channel 7 do things is just silly and ruins the sport in my eyes. Amateur stuff compared to the yanks.
Old 21-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #49
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
Guess what, WE'RE NOT IN OTHER COUNTIRES, we're in Australia.

All i was getting at was that, SURELY ads can wait till AT LEAST a safety car,
because there's always plenty, or even no ads at all during a 35
lap race (if there's no safety car). Who here actually wants to buy anything
they see on ads while watching the v8's anyway, if anything it's going to discourage ppl, because clearly it's more frustrating to everyone thats interested anyway!!!
I hear ya, don't worry. My angle was more that we have an option of 'free' TV with annoying ads or, pay TV with... well some more annoying ads.

It's funny... when I was telling family in Italy and Malta about our water restrictions and the 'water police' that drive around and have the ability to impose fines if you use water the wrong way / on the wrong day they all thought that was crazy / laughable.... then I see an ad on TV saying that the people who live in XYZ region have their TV / Radio licence due... now to them thats normal, and yes, they have TV police that can do spot checks for un-licenced TV's....

I don't watch TV any more in protest since the X-Files was canned anyway... The wife is trying to hook me on all those CSI / Cop / Doctor shows, which just makes me want to go to the states even less in fear of going to the local convienience store and ending up in pieces in a dumpster...

But I digress.....

Some light (and interesting IMO) reading.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

Cheers,

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #50
CFOUR
The Destroyer

I prefer to watch the replays on the speed channel, 4 hour broadcast watchable in 1h 45m. east choice. I am starting to loose interest, I Most likely will end up only watching bathurst in a few years time.
Old 21-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #51
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
, I Most likely will end up only watching bathurst in a few years time.

That's all I watch now, just over it all. Perhaps when Nissan comes in it might pick up

All said and done I can find better things to be doing now other than watching the super cheap ads