Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #31
Dave3911

Default Re: How 'not' to have an accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken
Bah, you're not worth it Dave.

But perhaps when you're next at your 'volunteer' station, you might concentrate a bit more on what you're being taught, rather than listening to the old wives tales and catching up on the gossip.

You may learn something.
I'm not a volunteer anything anymore. Too much empire building and ego stroking.....

I've heard the statement you made a thousand times by volunteers and the fact of the matter is, its an old wives tale and it's totally untrue. ESO drivers are not by default "guilty" of anything just because they are driving an emergency or police vehicle. Even when driving under emergency conditions (evoking RR 305/306 in Victoria) they aren't automatically in the wrong if something happens.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #32
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, you know it.

perhaps you call the various unions around the country and tell them that too, as it would help greatly with all the criminal charges that are pending with drivers at the moment.

good luck.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Ooo bugger!!!!
Old 30-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #34
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken
yep, you know it.

perhaps you call the various unions around the country and tell them that too, as it would help greatly with all the criminal charges that are pending with drivers at the moment.

good luck.
No need to go from one extreme to the other, I'm not saying they are exempt from prosecution. Lots of cases around the country I'm aware of with ESO drivers in the poo. The NT ARFF Tender involved in a fatal accident whilst on mutual-aid to the NTFRS and the CFA Pumper in VIC involved in a fatal at Traralgon are good examples that resulted in serious criminal charges.

All I'm saying is that the "always at fault" concept is a myth that, in my experience, is perpetuated by word of mouth and innuendo rather than a good understanding of how the legal system works.

In relation to this specific example - if the news article is taken as 100% factual (which I conceed we don't know exactly what happened), if this guy simply pulled straight out in front of the police car who had nowhere to go, then your statement that the "copper is in trouble regardless of who actually caused the accident" is absolute nonsense.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote