Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
kempy311
BEN

Default GPS trackers

What are the best value for money gps trackers on the market ?

My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GPS trackers

get one with the features you want. also low power consumption is good (so it doesn't drain the battery when parked). mine only updates when i send it an sms (and the result is displayed as a link to google maps), but it can be set up to alert if it leaves a certain area or intervals (which i'd use if it's stolen). because it uses sms, i needed a mobile phone sim. i got one with free sms. it's biggest issue is it comes with poorly worded documentation.
Old 13-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The GPS trackers that use the sim card and have no on going fees are the best value. Mongoose do a good one and i believe Jaycar have a cheap one too. In the end the only reason you get a tracker is to keep insurance premiums down. If they thieves really want the car they will get it. GPS trackers can be easily disabled with a couple of cut wires and then they just get lobed out the window. I would suggest looking at the Mongoose. couple of hundred bucks then you get a cheap sim plan with a very small amount of data (If the unit requires 3G access) and free/cheap text and your set. Going by the money you save on insurance it almost pays for itself in the first year.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been considering a GPS for my car for a while now
I agree that no matter what measures you put in place, if they want the car they will get it.

I have a coupe and I am getting paranoid in my old age
are you able to hide them once installed so that it gives you a chance to track it before the scum bags that stole it realiase it is equipped with a GPS ?
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i know guys who have taken the complete dash out to make it extremely difficult to get to.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
MAD
Petro-sexual

I've heard that GPS/GSM jammers are cheap and render these things useless anyway.
Old 13-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I've heard that GPS/GSM jammers are cheap and render these things useless anyway.
Yer but most of the stolen cars are crimes of opportunity and they see the car they take it not coming prepared with jammers etc.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 13-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Navman do a good one...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GPS and mobile Jammers are around $150.

What you want to get is a GPS jammer that sends a msg when the signal is lost. Then if someone uses the jammer the device you will get a final msg to say the signal has been cut.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311
Yer but most of the stolen cars are crimes of opportunity and they see the car they take it not coming prepared with jammers etc.
Yeah true, but for the case of very special vehicles, the likelihood of a professional thief is much higher. For a nice daily it's probably fine.
Just something to be aware of I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

What you want to get is a GPS jammer that sends a msg when the signal is lost. Then if someone uses the jammer the device you will get a final msg to say the signal has been cut.
Are there particular models that do this?
Old 13-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure on models but I know they are avaliable.
Old 13-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

What's the range on a jammer? Can't be too big I imagine. A few meters maybe?

Plenty of places on a car to hide gps tracker.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
66 coupe
around the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
get one with the features you want. also low power consumption is good (so it doesn't drain the battery when parked). mine only updates when i send it an sms (and the result is displayed as a link to google maps), but it can be set up to alert if it leaves a certain area or intervals (which i'd use if it's stolen). because it uses sms, i needed a mobile phone sim. i got one with free sms. it's biggest issue is it comes with poorly worded documentation.
The issue here is if the car is stolen, and driven into a shed, you have no way of determining where the vehicle is.

The only way you can find where it went is if you had the tracker setup to report to a server at certain intervals, ie 1 min intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
Going by the money you save on insurance it almost pays for itself in the first year.
Sometimes its best not advising the insurance company if it has a tracker, if the sim card has no credit or bill not paid etc and the tracker hasnt reported, they can use this to reject a claim as the stated security device was not armed / activated at the time

Kempy - i have some trackers in stock, send me an email or pm if you want more info on them.
66 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
ms700
Big Member

We have GPS trackers in our cars at work. Good for some things, but bad if you want to go for a cruise (ie pay some bills during work hours) and not get tracked......

What are these GPS jammers that everyone chats about? Are they legal, or made in some dude's shed?

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms700
We have GPS trackers in our cars at work. Good for some things, but bad if you want to go for a cruise (ie pay some bills during work hours) and not get tracked......

What are these GPS jammers that everyone chats about? Are they legal, or made in some dude's shed?
A GPS jammer is used to block the signal from a unit that uses gps like a tracker this means the tracking signal will be blocked.
331rwkw.

Old 14-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1. it couldnt' send if it was jammed
2. it would go off every time the signal was lost (i know you don't believe it, but there are parts of australia that mobile phones don't work).
Old 14-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.mobilephonejammer.com.au/...c-20.html?lg=g

These are some jammers.

I re read my post. I will have to give more info.

You can get GPS tracking that is monitored, and as soon as the signal is lost you get a msg from the tracking company.

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday.

http://www.ozspy.com.au/products/7-L...er-with-Audio/

Last edited by xisled; 14-08-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 14-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
http://www.mobilephonejammer.com.au/...c-20.html?lg=g

These are some jammers.

I re read my post. I will have to give more info.

You can get GPS tracking that is monitored, and as soon as the signal is lost you get a msg from the tracking company.

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday.

http://www.ozspy.com.au/products/7-L...er-with-Audio/
You do realise that the penalty for posessing a jammer is actually MUCH greater than stealing the car don't you......

To all members.

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE.

They can interfere with aviation navigation as well as emergency services.
They fall into the same category as military style weapons.

If/when you are caught you will be treated like a terrorist.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You do realise that the penalty for posessing a jammer is actually MUCH greater than stealing the car don't you......

To all members.

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE.

They can interfere with aviation navigation as well as emergency services.
They fall into the same category as military style weapons.

If/when you are caught you will be treated like a terrorist.
True, but I have been tempted to get a phone jammer for Restaurants/Theatre's etc