Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #31
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Should Ford drop the FALCON nameplate...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Brand awareness is an expensive exercise. Nissan found that out and brought back the Pulsar name. Even Ford knew that the Taurus was a known brand and brought it back.

If we're going to see a 4 Door Mustang, then if anything, the Falcon name should stay. If we're going to see an imported Taurus, then given the even poorer reputation of that name in Australia, the Falcon name should stay.

if we're going to see the Mondeo/Fusion replace the Falcon, then that name is known, and Falcon can go.

But it would be a real shame to lose one of the longest running nameplates in the world.

Lukeyson

Yep...and really, what else would you call a Falcon like car?

I'd rather see the money that would be used on a name-change (market research etc) used towards improving the Falcon image.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

The versatility of the Falcon chassis over the last decade or more is astonishing- from a roomy & comfortable family car to a rip snorting sports car. When COTF racing starts here hopefully the German brigade will compete so the Falcon can defeat them all consistently & give our Falcon a better, bigger profile around the globe.

Hell, build some factory DTM racers, send them to Ford Germany and start building a profile there! Beating them on there own turf would certainly make the Germans (& the world) take notice! If the Falcon can do all that, it can become a world car at a certain price, build them in China i dont care! The Falcon will have to be built overseas for it to have future post 2016

But a 5 series et al challenger at a super competitive price sold in that market could springboard our Falcon into the international spot light. To see the Falcon do well oversea's would make ALL Aussies proud!

"My Ford , My Falcon" (copyright Maka* lol!)

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #33
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The Falcon name will continue after 2016, you can take that to the bank..
I reckon it will too,good call jpd80!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka
I reckon it will too,good call jpd80!

cheers,Maka
Now this is just my opinion:

Far from being portrayed as the baddies in all of this, I'd say the Americans are bending over backwards
to accommodate the needs of Ford Australia, they are letting Falcon play its hand out but more importantly,
the Americans seem to be in no hurry to replace either their own Taurus or the Aussie Falcon.

It's almost as though they recognise that the market for large cars in the USA and Australia is now
much smaller and that it's becoming much more of a niche where buyres are prepared to pay for
what they see as essentials in a large car...plenty of space, comfort and good driving dynamics.

I'm hoping that the space efficiency of Falcons design can be merged with the impressive reductions
in weight possible with new designs, look at V6 Impala, it's the weight of a TDCI Mondeo.
FWD i know but surely, those lessons learned can be transferred from FWD car to RWD cars...

The biggest plus for FoA is somewhere else picking up the cost for the car, not only USA but
maybe Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) could have serious need of an affordable large car.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Ford might bend over backwards but there's only so far that they can bend before they break.

Sales volumes of less than 1000 a month are unsustainable. Hell, the original sales projections to be profitable on FG were 3500 a month.

Large export markets would be its only chance to continue in large RWD format.

I think its put up or shut up time for Detroit, either back the Falcon and open up export markets for it or kill it, there's no in between.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #36
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The value of a large car was brought home to me today, stepped into the bosses Car a Santa Fe, thing was crap, after driving it for an hour I was in pain, squelshed up like a rotten tomato, I'm 5'11" and with the seat right back my head was between me knees.
My young bloke is 6'5", he wouldn't even be able to get into the thing, crikey me daughter is 6'2".......
If there isn't a market for the over six footers what do they do........ walk?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #37
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Now this is just my opinion:

Far from being portrayed as the baddies in all of this, I'd say the Americans are bending over backwards
to accommodate the needs of Ford Australia, they are letting Falcon play its hand out but more importantly,
the Americans seem to be in no hurry to replace either their own Taurus or the Aussie Falcon.

It's almost as though they recognise that the market for large cars in the USA and Australia is now
much smaller and that it's becoming much more of a niche where buyres are prepared to pay for
what they see as essentials in a large car...plenty of space, comfort and good driving dynamics.

I'm hoping that the space efficiency of Falcons design can be merged with the impressive reductions
in weight possible with new designs, look at V6 Impala, it's the weight of a TDCI Mondeo.
FWD i know but surely, those lessons learned can be transferred from FWD car to RWD cars...

The biggest plus for FoA is somewhere else picking up the cost for the car, not only USA but
maybe Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) could have serious need of an affordable large car.
Yes, again i agree. The business plan imo could call for Fords intended markets to all chip in / pay for building a new global Falcon but the business strategy is where Ford will be using all the their experience & guile in working out how best to a) build a lighter weight (1450-1500kg max) Falcon, b) knowing what & how many configurations would suit each market,

c) knowing that some times too much versatility is a bad thing just like too much value adding is - so maybe Falcon can live on in a maximum of 2 or 3 models- sport, comfort and shooting brake? (example versions only) with maximum flexibility on engine & transmission choice, trim,options etc. d) target presentation & marketing saturation frequency e) ongoing customer consultation throughout the lifespan of each model.

What i do know is that Ford can compete against established benchmarked marques on price/reliability if not quality (if they improve a bit) Ford, just like Forrest said- You can do it!

cheers,Maka

Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #38
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford has said the large car segment is important to them, and they want to be a part of it going forward. It is how and where they do it which will matter (well, to us anyway). The other thing is, the large car segment is relatively unimportant to the rest of the lineup - volume selling, mass market cars like Fiesta and Focus - so they can afford to let large cars dribble away in the background for a while until they get all their ducks in a row with the volume sellers and global platforms. Look at how long they strung out the Crown Victoria for - they know that having a large car with poor sales or whatever in today's market is not a deal breaker, for the time being anyway.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford might bend over backwards but there's only so far that they can bend before they break.

Sales volumes of less than 1000 a month are unsustainable. Hell, the original sales projections to be profitable on FG were 3500 a month.

Large export markets would be its only chance to continue in large RWD format.

I think its put up or shut up time for Detroit, either back the Falcon and open up export markets for it or kill it, there's no in between.
I think the speed of change shocked them, they obviously felt like they had more time.
Which also explains why there seems to be no action, most likely reason being that a
replacement vehicle won't be ready until 2016 but you're right, Ford has to keep Falcon alive,
even if that means a few with Fusion styled nose and corporate interiors for export in 2014...
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #40
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I think its put up or shut up time for Broadmeadows marketing department, either advertise the Falcon and open up export markets for it or resign, there's no in between.
Fixed.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 07-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #41
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As i said on another thread this week i'd rather they kept the name if nothing else.

my guess is it'll be something simpler/shorter, everyone's copying Mazda with their 2,3,6 names. You know, so dumb people can remember the name!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #42
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
The Falcon name will continue after 2016, you can take that to the bank..
Love that movie!

And I hope you're right.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #43
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

**** no.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #44
Itsme
Experienced Member

No....

Now if you want to try and keep the Falcon name sake why don't some mods on this site organise an online petition to Ford.... just over 80,000 Ford members is a big message to Ford Australia....a big voice of protest.

Up to you guys now!!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #45
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instead of FalcON, maybe Falc-off?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #46
Falcman0o7
Banned

No comment!
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Instead of FalcON, maybe Falc-off?
Russian Falcon?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #48
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its time for it to go unfortunately.

The Falcon has zero aspirational appeal to the mainstream market. Having spoken to a lot of non car people, and a lot of car people who are non-Ford (or Holden) people, it seems the general consensus among this lot (who make up the majority of the buying public) is that the Falcon is a lumbering, thirsty dinosaur, hopelessly behind the times and with its association with bogans - very uncool.

While some of that may be true, we know that most of it definitely isn't. But we dont buy enough cars so what we think is irrelevant.

I think the Falcon name is toxic. Its at the end of its very long life cycle; nothing called the Falcon will sell anymore, no matter how good it is.

Plus, once the current generation is finished - Ford say 2016 but it might soldier on for a year or two after that, the replacement will be on a FWD global platform - calling this car Falcon will alienate the Falcon fans, eliminate overnight any performance models, while throwing all the stigma of the old car onto the new one (for the people who believe there is a stigma to the Falcon name that is) - that would be a disastrous idea.

Its true that it costs a fortune to establish a new nameplate, but a fortune would need to be spent on changing views on the Falcon with no guarantee it would work. Its a gamble either way, but after 56 years and the inevitible change to FWD, my money would be on a change of name.

How about this pipe dream for post-2016;

Fully imported large car on a global FWD/AWD platform – call it the Fusion
Bring the next Mustang over for the performance market.
Manufacture the Ranger in Melbourne. A car of that size and type should be able to turn a profit even here, and supplies seem quite tight.

That’s all just in my opinion though…
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized

The Falcon has zero aspirational appeal to the mainstream market. Having spoken to a lot of non car people, and a lot of car people who are non-Ford (or Holden) people, it seems the general consensus among this lot (who make up the majority of the buying public) is that the Falcon is a lumbering, thirsty dinosaur, hopelessly behind the times and with its association with bogans - very uncool.
So you canvassed a demographic that doesn't or would never buy Falcons and got a negative response...

how odd...

Quote:
Its true that it costs a fortune to establish a new nameplate, but a fortune would need to be spent on changing views on the Falcon with no guarantee it would work. Its a gamble either way, but after 56 years and the inevitible change to FWD, my money would be on a change of name.

Manufacture the Ranger in Melbourne. A car of that size and type should be able to turn a profit even here, and supplies seem quite tight.

Good thoughts...

Maybe a car wider than Fusion/Mondeo but with similar weight....
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #50
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you canvassed a demographic that doesn't or would never buy Falcons and got a negative response...

how odd...

Hardly an exhaustive survey of the market I admit, but I think its relevant - its the mainstream car buying demographic, and while only anecdotal, the feedback I got is reflected in the sales figures.

The demographic that would or might buy a Falcon is shrinking by the day, which is the whole point of this discussion.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #51
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rename Ford to FMC, with a round shiel, Blue and white background.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hardly an exhaustive survey of the market I admit, but I think its relevant - its the mainstream car buying demographic, and while only anecdotal, the feedback I got is reflected in the sales figures.

The demographic that would or might buy a Falcon is shrinking by the day, which is the whole point of this discussion.
And since around 75% of Falcon sales are or at least were to fleets, maybe you're really asking the wrong people..

But i do understand what you're saying...the relevance of falcon in modern buying preferences is fading
There is a direct correlation between the decline of Falcon sales and the rise of Mid/large SUVs.
A better mix of diesel economy, better space and utility than sedans, looks like handling is down the list..
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #53
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Plus, once the current generation is finished - Ford say 2016 but it might soldier on for a year or two after that
This is still a possibility BTW

Just sayin, yo

Old 15-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #54
jixel 78

Quote:

While some of that may be true, we know that most of it definitely isn't. But we dont buy enough cars so what we think is irrelevant.

I think the Falcon name is toxic. Its at the end of its very long life cycle; nothing called the Falcon will sell anymore, no matter how good it is.

Plus, once the current generation is finished - Ford say 2016 but it might soldier on for a year or two after that, the replacement will be on a FWD global platform - calling this car Falcon will alienate the Falcon fans, eliminate overnight any performance models, while throwing all the stigma of the old car onto the new one (for the people who believe there is a stigma to the Falcon name that is) - that would be a disastrous idea.

+1. Its way past its use by date, and the name is defineately hindering sales. Young people who aspire to owning a new car and want a Falcon are but a tiny percentage of of the buying market. Now Commodore......well thats a little different. I work with a lot of young people 17 to 25, and the general consensus is if youre driving a Falcon, it mustve been cheap.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #55
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
This is still a possibility BTW

Just sayin, yo

Well if history is any indication, its a very high possibility yeah. The last 3 generations have each run for 10 years, with more frequent and significant updates than the FG has had in its 4 years.
Old 15-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #56
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No !!!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post