Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default Re: Sick and tired of being 'sick and tired'!

take the time to breathe fresh air.....

push the stroller up a hill, do some cardio

I was never 100% being a smoker and dealing with cab drivers- that inturn deal with all the cooties the hundreds of joe public gave them.....

if it was "in the air" I'd get a dose...

Since my little ones are around:- the time it takes to get them out and stimulated with the outdoors has vastly improved my health. If i am not crook chances are I am not spreading cooties throughout the house :P

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #32
purnong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear
What to do?
Fist,
Yep, Works for us as well
purnong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
JG34JA

I can sympathise with the OP, kids seem to 'download' viruses at a fast rate and parents can be taken for quite a ride. Stress doesn't help, either.

I did a lot of research into this matter when faced with a life threatening illness.

I can recommend:

Weston A Price's "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" - possibly the greatest book of the 20th Century. Price was a 1920's/30's dentist that became alarmed at the increasing rate of dental caries (cavities) in his patients, and decided to travel the world with a camera in hand to find and document what he termed 'control' populations, who did not show signs of disease. Find them he did, all around the world in different ethnic groups with completely different diets, and you cannot argue with his photos. His conclusion was that a 'Western' diet did not allow enough nutrition to be absorbed to engender health, correct dental arch and bone formation, and critically that fat soluble activators were present in abundance in primitive diets and absent in modernised ones. I wish I read it before we formed children.

A great review by Steve Solomon of the Soil and Health Library (fantastic resource):

http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0203...ppnf/ppnf.html
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #34
pb02
inconceivable!

As mentioned before, diet and excercise.

We load up on oranges and strawberries over the winter, along with our regular fresh fruit. You don't need vitamin C tablets when you can get it naturally, also your body can only use so much vitamin C in one day so dosing up on tablets is just a waste!
Also, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day, hydration is just as important through winter and cold days as it is for the warmer weather.
Garlic is great as well, if your not keen on the taste I mix in a couple of cloves when I cook rice and you won't notice the flavour but still get the benefits.
I walk when I get the chance, and when the weather allows. I have a 9 month old, my wife eats foods with vitamin C (as above) which get passed on to bubs through her milk. And again, lots of water throughout the day to keep her hydrated.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #35
HLC
Audi S3

Good Diet + Exercise, ie a Healthy Lifestyle is the key.

I used to get sick all the time living in Sydney, working erratic hours day-to-day, eating poorly, and not doing nearly enough exercise. Was even worse when I was 20kilos heavier.

Once I Moved to WA, I excercise a lot more, diet is a lot better (still not amazing). Have only been sick once in the last 2 years.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #36
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Its better to have a healthier diet containing a decent dose of vitamin c, but Vitamin c tablets have there place for those who don't naturally eat their share of proper fruits and vegetables for what ever reason.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear
Having been in your position, albeit many years ago, I would suggest that you don't overlook the matter of stress.
I have run my own business, or managed them for others for most of my life, and I can only tell you from experience, stress will win, it cannot be avoided.

Consider, when it was just the 2 of you, you could no doubt come home and get some relaxation, or maybe just go out together, take a weekend away etc. now however, I bet you come home to a stressed out wife, who just wants you to get the baby off her hands so she can have a bit of time out, or even just to get things done.
Now add that the baby is sickly and it just multiplies itself over and over. now you get less sleep, and probably not good long sleeps either, you keep pushing yourself even when your not well, your wife is the same, your both getting irritable with each other, result = no real chance to recharge either for yourself or your wife.
Perhaps you now even don't want to come home from work too early, and then feel guilty about that too, it's a vicious circle hey?

What to do?
Fist, you need to talk with each other about the need you both have to recharge, then discuss how you can each get a chance to have some time out regularly, unfortunately, you wont get the chance very often to have the time out together, but if you work on it together you will get through it and it will get better.

if you don't?
Both your business and/or your marriage will fail. I should have capitalised WILL.

like I said, stress will win if you don't take steps to deal with it.

I only wish someone had told me this many years ago, I wouldn't be the mental mess I am now.

Cheers,
This times 100 million.

This is where I am right now in life. My son is two (at daycare) but he's just a terror and the stress of my wife being told to micro manage the girls underneath her as well as do their work when they can't be arsed as well as her own work = stress central and when I would like to sit down and chill (I can't cause I get home and do the housework needed) as well being first point of call for 1500 users all over Aus and NZ it's stress central at my place and we're always sick (Wife and son, I'm about 85%)

The weekends are the worst.

You do need to sit down and talk with the other half about ways to manage. It's only now after countless fights that we are getting somewhere and getting timeout to ourselves.

Please, do this now and don't let it get to the unfortunate, somewhere I've been very close to...
Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
v gate

drink beer and smoke heaps 2 tea spoons of cement and a can of stfu dry my tears put me boots on an go to work come home talk to the dog and start all over again
lifes great
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #39
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

kids always get it, both of mine are crrok at the moment sharing it around the house. funny thing is normally Im the last one in th ehousehold to ge tit and cop it bad. so far this year I have been fine.

My best mates old man used to drive a bob cat for a living, out early in the cold mornings every day, rain hail shine. all kinds of weather, never a sniffle, that was until he retired. now get colds and flu all the time.

moral of that - drop the dettol and go play in the dirt!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #40
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Hi all,

My young family has been having lots of issues with sickness. I'm used to getting sick, but not used to being stick almost every second week (I'm not exaggerating)! I'm told that its normal for young families to struggle with sickness in the first few years after a baby is born and weaned.

Those of you who have kids, how often have you guys been sick? And how do you protect you and your family from the constant onslaught, without becoming a hermit?

Of those who have had these experiences, how many own or run your own business or branch/centre etc or you're responsible for multiple staff?

Thanks Brooksy.
Been through this when my kids were growing up. Recently started feeling sick and tired again and remembered what worked last time. Get outside, lots of water and belive it or not throw the alarm clock away for a month or so. Waking naturally has had huge health benefits for me. When you do wake, force yourslef to take your time in the mornings. Easiest thing in the world but has worked wonders.

and before you say it, if you have to wake early, go to bed early otherwise let yourself sleep
Old 07-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #41
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I used to get crook whenever my son got sick from kindy or school etc, it's something I think every parent cops earlier on in their kids lives.

It used to take me a month or two to shake any colds and flu's, and the only things that maybe helped were Codral cold n flu tabs. But, I did notice as I was getting older it was getting harder to shake them off each time.

I used to get sick quite easily a few years back. Even if I got caught in the rain a little, I could get sick. And whenever my son was crook, so was I.
For many years tho I really didn't look after myself, ate rubbish foods and did zero exercise, copped a lotta stress via work and some financial difficulties etc.

Then around 12 months ago I took the plunge and decided to clean myself up. Started to exercise daily, lose weight, started to eat better and eat less processed and made up meals etc.. It's turned my life around.

Over the course of that year Iv been sick twice. .Once over Chrissy, (runny nose, nasty sore throat and coughs) I shook that off in 3 days. And once around March, (runny nose and tickle in throat) took me 24 hours and it was gone. Both times, I didn't take any Codrals, no treatments, remedies or pills, with the only exception being Vitamin C's. Since then my son has been sick a few times when Iv seen him and it hasn't affected me at all. Heck Iv even been caught in the rain a few times exercising and have managed to not get sick.. That's big for me.

I'm not a pill popper or anything and I won't use any medications unless I really have to. But when I'm starting to feel crook or am sick I do have a few of the 1000mg vitamin C's, but only up to the max recommended dosage.

Eating right, exercise and looking after yourself is where it is at IMHO and now personal experience.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
AU Mont
Banned

well 10 days ago i battled a 'full body' illness of something....... symptoms included aches pain in arm legs & joints, head & face buzzing, coughing green phlem, fever, generally feel like i was poisoned.

it felt like it was almost gone, now last 3 days it has come with a vengance so bad that i got the wife to take me to the hospital 6:30am this morning, only to be told to wait up to 3 hours in waiting room even though i was the only outpatient so just went home, will fight it naturally

Havnt been able to sleep for 3 days, feel like im dying and moving house at the same time. Only positive is ive had one smoke today, and looking at quitting for the 50th time because i blame the smokes for turning a a regular illness into full blown infection, broncitis etc.
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #43
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

I would blame kids, but I dont have any, so my excuse is public transport & sick people at work sharing their germs around the office.
Bleergh.

Seriously, the constant illness is emotionally draining.

In the last 18 months I have had - Diverticulits, an oopherectomy due to cancer risk (4 wks off work), severe bronchitis 2 weeks after returning to work (another 3 weeks off) , perforated bowel, diverticulitis, Atypical pneumonia, bronchitis again, and now am looking at a hysterectomy at 43 :( before the end of the year .

Its very hard on my other half too.
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #44
AU Mont
Banned

are you a smoker?
Old 16-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #45
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Yep we have a 7month old but been lucky so far. Good hygiene, keeping away from obvious places with heaps of sickness (the show), and eating, exercising and getting enough sleep. Hard keeping stresss down if work related though.
Our baby girl was 7weeks prep so we were in the hospital with her for quite a few weeks and in special care where you have to wash hands every time you enter, sneeze, touch things etc. We have a few of the squirt bottles round the house with the hand wash stuff in. We use it every time we finish changing her nappy, every time we leave shopping centres etc. It has become a good habit although we dont go overboard with it, kids need to be exposed to build their won immune system also.
Would be a whole new ball game if their in school though, cant be helped then Id say.
Old 16-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Watch this right to the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

I used to get sick a fair bit a few years ago and since then i have totally changed my diet. I have always been extremely fit due my job but used to eat crap. Now i eat healthy and it makes all the difference, i havnt been sick for 2 years.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #47
damoose

I drink too much
I smoke to much
I own my own business (lots of stress)
and havent had a day off work in 25 years due to illness
but the one thing I do everyday is eat an orange and a Banana
I am a big believer in Vitamin c
Old 16-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #48
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
are you a smoker?

never ever
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #49
pmacc

Look into taking some proboitics, there not the cheapest $25 for 30 tablets but there is evidence they help boost your immune system, just look it up on google.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #50
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont on the 12th August
symptoms included aches pain in arm legs & joints, head & face buzzing, coughing green phlem, fever, generally feel like i was poisoned.

it felt like it was almost gone, now last 3 days it has come with a vengance so bad that i got the wife to take me to the hospital 6:30am this morning, only to be told to wait up to 3 hours in waiting room even though i was the only outpatient so just went home, will fight it naturally

Havnt been able to sleep for 3 days, feel like im dying and moving house at the same time.
well slowly getting over it, the dizziness/vertigo finally stopped 2 days ago, and im starting to exercise again but its damn hard, my body copped a hammering

Reading this news story makes me want to take more notice of symptoms in the future as a bad strain can kill you .......... if only the hospital didnt send her home and took her seriously before it messed with her breathing she might have had a chance

http://www.smh.com.au/queensland/fam...827-24vof.html
Old 27-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #51
robbyj
Rob

(My honest opinion)

Multi vitamins are a joke if you believe taking them once a day has any positive effect on you.

There is no reason you cant get all the daily recommended nutrition you need from healthy food.

Pills are cheating, and i doubt your body even absorbs these properly if at all.

Remember, healthy diet, healthy exercise, and a healthy amount of REST.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #52
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Sick again this weekend. One more time around the merry go round!

Gotta love babies/toddlers!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post