Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Positive ground electrical systems?

Quote:
I expected to see pictures of three men in primitive copper power-suits shooting electricity out of their hands at each other
Well one of Tesla's dinner party tricks that apparently nobody has been able to replicate was to carry balls of blue lightening around in his hand.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #32
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

And here is a somewhat bizarre and less than serious but nonetheless humorous description of the current wars: http://monsterrebellion.wordpress.com/2009/07/
Old 04-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #33
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
We've been taught at school current flows from negative terminal to the positive terminal, not the other way around.
'Conventional current'

Quote:
A flow of positive charges gives the same electric current, and has the same effect in a circuit, as an equal flow of negative charges in the opposite direction. Since current can be the flow of either positive or negative charges, or both, a convention for the direction of current which is independent of the type of charge carriers is needed. The direction of conventional current is defined arbitrarily to be the direction of the flow of positive charges.

In metals, which make up the wires and other conductors in most electrical circuits, the positive charges are immobile, and the charge carriers are electrons. Because the electron carries negative charge, the electron motion in a metal conductor is in the direction opposite to that of conventional (or electric) current.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #34
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
nothing to do with returning to actual earth it is due to electrolisys, the positive earth system encourages rust due to electrolosys
I am well versed in electronics.

Please explain that statement and don't hold back on the details...?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #35
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
I am well versed in electronics.

Please explain that statement and don't hold back on the details...?

Tafe will teach you current flows from + to neg "conventual flow"

But they should also explain the oposite theory to you.

electron flow.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/g...tron-flow.html
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #36
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint
Tafe will teach you current flows from + to neg "conventual flow"

But they should also explain the oposite theory to you.

electron flow.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/g...tron-flow.html

How does that link prove that positive earth cars corrode more than negative earth ones?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #37
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh that i cannot prove.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So the phone systems running at about 50v, how many amps would they provide?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #39
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Internally. Lots of amps. The TE I use to work in had battery rooms bigger than your average house. Each battery bank had 24x 2 volt cells. Each cell stood around 3 foot high. 5 banks of batteries powered the TE.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #40
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you shorted out the the large battery banks in a telephone exchange or electrical sub station the current flow would be in the order of hundreds of thousands of amps, enough to cause a serious explosion and fire. Might only be 50 volts but potentially very dangerous. In an electrical substation the battery room can be as dangerous a place to be as the high voltage areas

Even a car battery is good for a few thousand amps if you short it out with something like a spanner
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #41
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

What about to premises?
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
How does that link prove that positive earth cars corrode more than negative earth ones?
Hi. I dont think it makes much difference, When I first got my licence I had a rusty 15 year old car that I fixed up and it was a + earth car and at 15 years of age both my XE and my parents XE were rust buckets and they were - earth. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #43
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko
Even a car battery is good for a few thousand amps if you short it out with something like a spanner
A battery with a few thousand amps!!! Where can I buy one?
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #44
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
What about to premises?
The DC loop is milliamps, you can short out the wires to your house without any issues and this is used with decadic (rotary) dialling to the exchange. It is timed make/break on the circuit.

The line circuits in the TE have over current protection too.

The TE sends AC to signal an incoming call, to ring the bell. That will give you a tickle up if you touch it but is not lethal.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #45
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu
You might have trouble fitting them into your car.

This is a pic I found on a website.

There are 2 batteries in the pic. Each battery has 24 2volt cells. The apprentice tech use to have to check these things regularly... oh the memories....

Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu

Get an N200P, I can get one in stock for you no problem ;)
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #47
Itsme
Experienced Member

I think both of you missed my sarcasm remark in regards to a normal car battery.....

Not to say there are special batteries with high capacity amps.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #48
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The MGTD I fully restored from ground up some years ago now did not seem to worry that the current was going the other way, but then there was no radio installed. The main reason for all cars going to negative earth in the late '60's and early '70's was because of the radios and cassette players coming on the market at the time, which were all negative earthed for reasons given below.

Here's an interesting article from the Davies Craig website, about positive and negative earthed cars, which helps explains things:

Quote:
I have long wondered why my 1937 MG has positive earth whilst my 1936 Bentley has negative earth. Many cars constructed before about 1950 were positive earth with later cars reverting to negative earth. The following is a Lucas reply to a similar question regarding positive and negative earth put in 1966.

“Electrical equipment will only function with current flow which requires a return path for the current that has passed through the component. Originally most vehicle manufacturers utilised either a special wire or the chassis for a return path. To distinguish between the two wiring systems, the type that used special wire return was designated ‘insulated return or I.R’. and the chassis return as ‘earth return or E.R’.

Earth return would be dangerous where high voltages are used, but earth return is quite safe for low voltages between 6 and 12 volts, but any leakage between wiring and chassis causes corrosion at the leaky point.

Pre-war insulating material was usually basically wood, rubber, ebonite, glass or later bakelite. All but glass had tendencies to exhibit minute leakage, which over a period of time encouraged corrosion of the terminals. Battery connections were most prone to corrosion because of the added effect of the acid. Earth return is only effective if the battery has one terminal connected to the chassis, and for certain chemical reasons less corrosion occurs if the positive earth terminal is earthed.

It was because of the advantages of earth return that by about 1935 nearly all manufacturers were using this system and to reduce corrosion the positive battery terminal was earthed. An additional advantage of positive earth was that a sparking plug sparks better with the earth electrode positive.

Since the war, plastic insulation has been used extensively, and because of this the leakage current no longer prevails. As there is no leakage to bother about, it does not matter which battery terminal is earthed from a corrosion point of view. Sparking plugs still operate more effectively with a positive earth electrode but now that ignition coils can be made which reverse the earthing potential of the power flowing through them, it is possible to use a negative earth battery and still obtain positive earth high tension. In theory the last few facts are a little more complicated than stated but in practice the effects are still the same.

Post war negative earthing has many factors in its favour, and the most predominant are given below: -
Television interference is easier to suppress with negative earth, and of course this was no bother before the war. Electrical equipment is now being used as standard in more cars additional to the radio (probably the first electronic devise used in a British car)

It is characteristic of all electrical apparatus, as opposed to electric, to be polarity conscious, that is affected by which supply terminal is earthed. If a transistor is connected the wrong way round it will be immediately irreparably damaged. Universal negative earthling would ensure that all power supplies to electronic gear were to the same earth and therefore reversed connections impossible. Electrical components like bulbs etc are not affected by which terminal is earthed, therefore these can be unchanged and universal in their application.

To help avoid any confusion which may arise in the difficult in-between changeover period, when vehicles of both types of earthing are produced, components are being marked + and -. To consider an ignition coil, for instance with positive earth,+ is earth, so this is for distributor contacts and – is live, so this is the ignition feed. The same coil when used with negative earthing would be earth at – and so this is for the contact breaker, and live at +, making this the ignition feed.

Thus to summarise, Positive earth gives a better spark and less corrosion when insulators leak current. Negative earth interference is easier to suppress and electronic components are less likely to be damaged."
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #49
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
We've been taught at school current flows from negative terminal to the positive terminal, not the other way around.
Electron flow is neg to pos
Conventional current flow is pos to neg.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #50
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
You might have trouble fitting them into your car.

This is a pic I found on a website.

There are 2 batteries in the pic. Each battery has 24 2volt cells. The apprentice tech use to have to check these things regularly... oh the memories....

And that was only once you finished cleaning all the contacts!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #51
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

As per Grom Quote I think Wikipedia covers it pretty well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...nce_direction:

Quote:
A flow of positive charges gives the same electric current, and has the same effect in a circuit, as an equal flow of negative charges in the opposite direction. Since current can be the flow of either positive or negative charges, or both, a convention for the direction of current which is independent of the type of charge carriers is needed. The direction of conventional current is defined arbitrarily to be the direction of the flow of positive charges.

In metals, which make up the wires and other conductors in most electrical circuits, the positive charges are immobile, and the charge carriers are electrons. Because the electron carries negative charge, the electron motion in a metal conductor is in the direction opposite to that of conventional (or electric) current.

[edit] Reference directionWhen analyzing electrical circuits, the actual direction of current through a specific circuit element is usually unknown. Consequently, each circuit element is assigned a current variable with an arbitrarily chosen reference direction. When the circuit is solved, the circuit element currents may have positive or negative values. A negative value means that the actual direction of current through that circuit element is opposite that of the chosen reference direction. In electronic circuits the reference current directions are usually chosen so that all currents flow toward ground. This often matches conventional current direction, because in many circuits the power supply voltage is positive with respect to ground.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #52
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko

The current flow might be several thousand amps however the spanner would become red hot and may melt, the battery would be flattened, permanently damaged, and may even explode. It would be all over in a few seconds.

Don't try this at home!
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #53
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
The MGTD I fully restored from ground up some years ago now did not seem to worry that the current was going the other way, but then there was no radio installed. The main reason for all cars going to negative earth in the late '60's and early '70's was because of the radios and cassette players coming on the market at the time, which were all negative earthed for reasons given below.

Here's an interesting article from the Davies Craig website, about positive and negative earthed cars, which helps explains things:

Thanks for the website link, most of it is sensible , but his claim of corrosion is just rhetoric without any proof or reason.