Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
pundit
Gazza!

Default Racing cockpit for PS3/PC/Xbox360

Just curious on what others have done for racing cockpits for games... At the moment I've got back into Gran Turmsio again, so decided to knock up a cockpit for my G27 with a mate... Came up rather well too! Rather cheap to make. Made it out of wood.. Most expensive part was the side beams/"rails" which was $6. the rest of the wood came from the seconds/off cut bin from my local bunnings... The seat I have is from a AU Falcon, and inverted my pedals. Anyone who has a G25/G27 I would highly recommend inverting/reversing your pedals!

What I started with

Thought I would of had too much wood, turns out not much left...

How it ended up

Then decided to get the twist out of the top and put a cheap as autobarn spec "drift" wheel on it... Massive upgrade in game play, makes it so so much nicer! and easier to control too! ($40 online for a metal adaptor to use a aftermarket wheel.. Nah mate, knock one up meself out of wood! does the job.

All I gotta do now is get some new padels because they are too far out of reach to use now, and lower the gearbox as its too high. started building at 6pm, had it inside setup at 1.30am but that did include a dinner brake :P quite a few smokos and the OH&S crew came thru and put a stop to the show not not wearing PPE

All in all works rather well, so what racing cockpits do you guys have/use?

If there is anyone on here that plays GT5 online and is keen for a race add us to PSN...

11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017

Last edited by pundit; 09-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Default Re: Racing cockpit for PS3/PC/Xbox360

Hi mate! Cool set up.... The race seats/sims are awesome fun!

This is my set up... A cheap frame from Harvey Norman and then i mounted my own seat on it for comfort.

Old 15-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 15-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

ordered a bearing off ebay so i can do the bearing mod for the wheel
Old 15-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
pundit
Gazza!

Bought a BA XR6 cluster off eBay tonight for my next stage... ;) building a complete cockpit with a BA Falcon dash, and going to put 2x LCD in the ICC where the LCD goes one to run race specs position/gear indication/etc/etc, and another screen to run specs of my computer... Aiming to build something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1uKIKIoLIE
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 20-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
SVR73
Mr Polish

Well done mate. I so love the EF Falcon PC cockpit video. that is seriously cool
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
pundit
Gazza!

Got everything I need for the BA cockpit, just waiting for cluster to arrive then its fun fun fun.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 21-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've got to rebuild my game seat. i got a seat from a wrecker and made the base for it.

back when i had a g25 i also changed the wheel, but you also need to change the flappy paddles to be longer.

but now i have a G27.
Old 22-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Watching this thread with interest.
Ove the years I'm had quite a number of different setup here. Still looking for something that is stable, well constructed, and yet still easy to put out of the way when I'm not using it.
Worst part is that I now have a petrol head son that ALSO wants his own cockpit setup so that he can square off against me (as if he stands a chance!!! lol)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT

This is my set up... A cheap frame from Harvey Norman and then i mounted my own seat on it for comfort.

Not a bet setup ya have mate, I was looking into buying something off eBay but couldn't justify the coin when it isn't taylord to suit me.

I see your playing GT5, if you wanna have a online bash add us, my PSN is skotty_87
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 28-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found some pictures. This was my setup in 2004 with an ACTLABS wheel. the two sides and top are solid mdf and between them are slats of mdf. This was quite solid and served me until i changed the wheel.

i then moved the car seat to an office chair base. This allows the car seat to double as an office chair. just raise the pedals so you lift you feet.
Old 13-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
pundit
Gazza!

Got my handbrake setup working now. It
s from a BA Falcon, using the original switch that comes with the handbrake in the car, and some guitar string to make it activate. so much more fun for drifting...

And aswell as that, like I said I was going to build a proper cockpit with working cluster so we take this...

(put it in the car to test it)

then a BA dash from the wreckers

Then a EA/ED Seat that has been trimmed up in BA XR fabric and is more comfy than the current AU seat...

Now just waiting for a centre console, ICC (trying to find a broken one cheap cheap), and some parts off eBay to make the cluster work should be good!

Oh yeah, and because frontyard race car!

Because I'm going to be cutting the dash in half I don't need the passenger side of it, and the dash came with the passenger airbag so I decided to set it off, here is a youtube link to setting it off :P (Note: there is some swearing in the video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEym...e_gdata_player
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017

Last edited by pundit; 13-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 14-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
mick457
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate this is awsome
i regret selling mine now
can you go into abit of detail on how your able to hook up a speedo and handbreak?
they are cheap enough to buy atm that i may have a crack at something in the future even buying a rolling shell of something when i get my shed who knows?

Performace
DBA 4000s, Blue power intake, Whiteline swaybars, FG manifold, PWR Radiator, king springs low, Monroe gt sport
DJR bobtail, LSD 3.46, 20%UD
Pacemaker 4490s, Venom cat, redback catback
mick457 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
pundit
Gazza!

Hooking up the speedo - is some what a PITA of job. I'm still waiting on parts from overseas to arrive so I can get it working, but you need to know how to code with c + +, then need to get a heap of the codes from a BA -for speedo/tacho/ whatever you want to use on the cluster and send over CAN bus.

The hand brake tho, was a rather easy mod to do on the Logitech G27, my issue the first time was I didn't glue down my wire so when I moved it, it broke the end of the resistor on the G27. I watched a few youtube videos on it and used a different earth point to solder to that wasn't as risky...

Price wise at the moment mine is up to... ~$600 including cluster, dash, all that stuff, so once I get ICC and center console make that ~$700... $300 of that was in my G27 but that doesn't really count in my books as I already owned it...

Actually thinking once I have the cluster working fully, have all the coding done and have it working in a few games, I might see if anyone wants to buy the hardware and I'll put on the scripts required so it will be "plug install and play" compered to having to do all the hard work.

I have seen a few videos on EF Falcon, VT/VX commodore clusters working on PC games but no BA/BF ones yet (woohoo might be the first eh)... I have seen a 05 focus one being used.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 15-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
EFFalcon
Last warning

mine thats currently in storage
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT

Well, you helped me decide what I am going to do.

If 3D television is so good you need to wear a helmet ....... time for me to hang up the driving gloves and turn off the 21" TV

Nice to see you getting in to the spirit of things.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit
Actually thinking once I have the cluster working fully, have all the coding done and have it working in a few games, I might see if anyone wants to buy the hardware and I'll put on the scripts required so it will be "plug install and play" compered to having to do all the hard work.
I might follow your lead if it works out to be easy enough.
Old 20-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
pundit
Gazza!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
ordered a bearing off ebay so i can do the bearing mod for the wheel
What beating mod is that? Haven't heard of one. Assuming it is for the G25/G27?
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
Old 24-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
pundit
Gazza!

Well useless info here.. I might actually make a thread for the BF cockpit once the last part I ordered gets here.. this is where I'm at, at the moment, been playing with a EL Falcon cluster with the arduino and got PWM pulse which can power a tacho by no means is it near working proper but its progress, unfort I can't use the arduino to power the EL speedo as they use a 10V square pulse, where my board does a 5V square pulse but hey I don't really care as the go is BA/F cockpit. not EL just wanted some fun while I was waiting, anyway heres a pic of getting the tacho to swing (can't say I've seen a e-series rev this hard before)

11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017