Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #61
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: New roads laws for NSW (Oct2012 Edition)

Roundabouts in Dubbo sum it up pretty well.

They have a sign that says "Blink off when exiting""
Old 08-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #62
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I can't believe that the RTA after all these years doesn't understand the principle of roudabouts. (I believe Victoria and other jurisdictions are just as bad.)

There is no "turning left" or "turning right", there is only entering and leaving. Nobody seems to get the functional principle that a roundabout is a "main road" and the roads off it are "side streets", even if one of them is the M62 Motorway.

You don't really need to signal before entering a roundabout but you ought to signal your intention to leave at the next exit (left signal) or that you are proceeding around the roundabout without exiting (right signal) until you approach your exit (then you left signal).
I have to admit I have treated them sort of like a T intersection all these years and indicate before entering to let people know which way I am going. That is, right indicator if I am going to the third exit and then once across the oncoming traffic I indicate left to leave the roundabout. That seemed logical to me and I have had my license since roundabouts were first put in NSW.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #63
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

LOL. Perhaps it would be better to say: "close your eyes before entering, open them again after exiting"
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #64
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NSW and ARR's - insofar signalling at roundabouts, mirror GB's Highway Code rule 186:-
https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-15...uts-184-to-190

GB's rule 185 gives priority to the right, same weblink. AUS doesn't quite do this, I'll spy some amendments to The UN Convention on Road Traffic (Signs & Signals)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #65
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
NSW and ARR's - insofar signalling at roundabouts, mirror GB's Highway Code rule 186:-
https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-15...uts-184-to-190

GB's rule 185 gives priority to the right, same weblink. AUS doesn't quite do this, I'll spy some amendments to The UN Convention on Road Traffic (Signs & Signals)
What do you mean to the right? You give way to traffic already in the roundabout (that's on your right in RHD countries), that's stated in Australian rules, same meaning as UK. But nowhere in the UK rules does it mention signalling before you hit the roundabout. That seems to be a NSW-only concoction.

UK rule 186 refers to signalling right within the roundabout. This contradicts Czech (continental?) practice. It's unnecessary to do so because people entering a roundabout should be assuming anyone on the roundabout is continuing the circuit unless they indicate left to exit. But they must indicate left to exit, this is fundamental to the philosophy of roundabouts.

It seems UK and Australia have additional unnecessary layers of complexity on the basic principles. Simplicity works best when educating motorists. Roundabouts aren't rocket science but RTA seems determined to turn it into same. If you can exert any influence convince them to get rid of signalling when approaching a roundabout, that's beyond the pale.

Last edited by new2ford; 09-11-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #66
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

I've lived in Dubbo for about 13 years, they only planted that sign at the round abouts when about 8 cars were rear ended in a week at the same round about.
buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #67
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92 View Post
I've lived in Dubbo for about 13 years, they only planted that sign at the round abouts when about 8 cars were rear ended in a week at the same round about.
The ambiguity of the sign should ensure that 8 more cars are rear-ended any time soon.