Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default stronger smell from catalytic converter

since bringing the van home in a storm where the revs reached 3,000 rpm I am getting a stronger than usual smell from my cat after short drives

normal operating temperature for the car is reached within this time frame

is this good bad or doesn't matter?

I thought maybe the extra revs, during that shortish time, cleaned the cat out a bit ( higher temp reached within the cat burned a bit extra goop of??) and now possibly working better???

I know 3,000 rpm is not high but it is higher than I usually achieve......

thoughts please

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: stronger smell from catalytic converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
since bringing the van home in a storm where the revs reached 3,000 rpm I am getting a stronger than usual smell from my cat after short drives

normal operating temperature for the car is reached within this time frame

is this good bad or doesn't matter?

I thought maybe the extra revs, during that shortish time, cleaned the cat out a bit ( higher temp reached within the cat burned a bit extra goop of??) and now possibly working better???

I know 3,000 rpm is not high but it is higher than I usually achieve......

thoughts please
What car is it ?
The cat is just like a stove cooking all the unburnt fuel so i think the more unburnt fuel in it make it stink but then again using E10 or 95 98 100 octane does not smell as revolting as the 91. fords are the worst for that smell and a mate would not use 91 in his falcon due to what he said that it smelt like a polecat.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's the BA Fairmont......it has calmed down a bit now, smell not so strong but after bringing the van home in a storm, making the engine work harder than usual the exhaust was absolutely putrid

one thing I did find out was that she who must own all shiny things filled it up from a coles outlet prior to the trip whereas I always support independently owned

I've heard there is a greater blend of ethanol in shopping centre outlets.....I dont know if that is true but since filling a couple times since the smell from the exhaust is definitely "milder"

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
4DBOSS
Starter Motor

i was going to say if it was a Great Wall it might be asbestos
4DBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post