Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #31
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 
Default Re: Ford Rare Spares partnership

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_0009 View Post
Perhaps.. But something doesn't sit right with me on this. Hopefully I'm wrong, as i would most probably be the first to spend my life savings as rear spares buying parts.

But last week 212 poor bastards are made redundant, new car sales have dropped, yet they want to reproduce parts they made 40+ years ago for, let's face it, a small market.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. Really hope I'm wrong.
I don't believe Ford will be making them. Simply giving access to tooling and blueprints, and endorsing the product as a genuine part. It's a win-win for everyone. We get better fitting repro parts, and Ford will get a cut out of it too, by allowing their official logos and part numbers etc, thus making parts concourse correct for the fussy ones amongst us.
This has been the case in America with Mustang parts. I'm guessing it will be the same scenario here.
Old 23-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #32
bungarra

Quote:
Perhaps.. But something doesn't sit right with me on this. Hopefully I'm wrong, as i would most probably be the first to spend my life savings as rear spares buying parts.

But last week 212 poor bastards are made redundant, new car sales have dropped, yet they want to reproduce parts they made 40+ years ago for, let's face it, a small market.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. Really hope I'm wrong.
Maybe Ford's way of trying to get some people some work. All I know is I need parts for the young blokes ZC so hopefully they get into that gear quick and hopefully a new speedo for the ZC.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #33
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, I don't think we are going to see a mass of redundant panels being produced
coupe qtr panels are wishful thinking

I don't think any of the reproduction parts are going to be produced in the land of Aus either
and of course we don't know how the agreement is going to work licensing fees , royalties and of course how much we are going to pay
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #34
GA_0009
Restoration Garage

What are these parts going to be classified as? Genuine Ford Repro? New Old genuine?

Also, a HO is worth $350,000 restored (aprox)
What would a HO With these parts be worth? Because I know the owner will still be asking the same money.

I'm putting a dampener on this achievement, for that I apologise. Just find it interesting
1975 XB Falcon Sedan
GA_0009 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #35
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

The Mustangs have Concourse quality reproductions. My understanding is that the use of these parts does not get them any less points in judging, since they are considered an official Ford Product, hence just as concourse correct as a NOS part. No idea how they differ in resale value though. Time will tell as to how it is judged here as well. So long as we get more parts though, it's all good IMO.
Old 23-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #36
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brilliant. Well done Ford.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92 View Post
Be good if there was a Rare Spares within 400km of me :'(
Available at ford dealers....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #38
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What are these parts going to be classified as? Genuine Ford Repro? New Old genuine?

What would a HO With these parts be worth? Because I know the owner will still be asking the same money.

I'm putting a dampener on this achievement, for that I apologise. Just find it interesting
Still be worth big bucks as its still a HO
if it was rebodied then that is a different story

replacing a guard or a bonnet wont make any differance to the value of a car if the quality is concourse
factory body and matching numbers is what counts, if we are talking GT's
how many cars that have been restored have used parts from a falcon 500
it could be argued that those parts are not original to the car

What we are looking at here are limbs to complete a vehicle that are hopefully concourse perfect. I dont think we will be seeing reproduction shells ?

I for one would breath a little easier knowing that parts like body panels are available
no stress trying to find a rare part that is in bad condition, that costs a bomb then spending another bomb on it to hopefully get it right before you can use it
I guess at the end of the day the only people this will affect is those trading in the the NOS Black Market
Old 23-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
I agree, I don't think we are going to see a mass of redundant panels being produced
coupe qtr panels are wishful thinking

I don't think any of the reproduction parts are going to be produced in the land of Aus either
and of course we don't know how the agreement is going to work licensing fees , royalties and of course how much we are going to pay
Ahh no they are made in China...

www.newoldcarcompany.com.au

This guy started making full doors, bonnets etc a while ago, but progress has been slow.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
ZGM86

This is great news, they have previously had such a great range of Holden parts and the Ford stuff has been pretty limited in comparision. I hope they include parts for Fairlanes as well as Falcons, my ZG could do with some new bits and pieces!
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

A few things.
1. Ford is very unlikely to have "stored" the internally used tooling to reproduce all that many panels. For the tooling for nearly every panel that they have made there comes a point in time where the tooling is scrapped. They use the following equation; the future use of/return vs cost of storage vs scrap value. If storage or scrap value are more than potential return then they scrap it - any business would. Okay, Holden kept a lot of tooling - they had multiple plants and a massive amount of storage in comparison to Ford. Most tooling in size is many multiples the size of the part that it is used to manufacture.
2. For externally sourced parts (plastics, rubbers, electrical, etc.) the individual manufacturers would have stored the tooling for a considerable time after its last use. Most would have to write to Ford asking them what to do with the tooling as Ford would be the most likely owner. Much of this tooling would also have been scrapped - component suppliers are also strapped for space and how many of these suppliers no longer exist?
3. If the tooling exists, the machinery in which it was last used probably doesn't. Think of the cost of modifying existing tooling (you really don't want to know!). Would Ford allow it's tooling to be sent oversea's (out of it's control) for use? In the case of coupe rear quarter panels, if the tool(s)/tooling did exist, and the press(es) also still existed - Ford would be the most likely owner of the said presses and would be very unlikely to allow access for limited production at a viable price.
4. Drawings - I'm not sure what use these would be. The time to digitize them for reproduction tooling vs simple fast laser co-ordinate measuring of existing original parts, would probably render the drawings irrelevant in may cases.
5. At the end of the day the cost modifying tooling or retooling would probably greatly limit the range of parts that would be likely to be made.

I hope it is a little more positive than this. But, I suspect that few of us will get what we really need.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #42
GA_0009
Restoration Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
A few things.
1. Ford is very unlikely to have "stored" the internally used tooling to reproduce all that many panels. For the tooling for nearly every panel that they have made there comes a point in time where the tooling is scrapped. They use the following equation; the future use of/return vs cost of storage vs scrap value. If storage or scrap value are more than potential return then they scrap it - any business would. Okay, Holden kept a lot of tooling - they had multiple plants and a massive amount of storage in comparison to Ford. Most tooling in size is many multiples the size of the part that it is used to manufacture.
2. For externally sourced parts (plastics, rubbers, electrical, etc.) the individual manufacturers would have stored the tooling for a considerable time after its last use. Most would have to write to Ford asking them what to do with the tooling as Ford would be the most likely owner. Much of this tooling would also have been scrapped - component suppliers are also strapped for space and how many of these suppliers no longer exist?
3. If the tooling exists, the machinery in which it was last used probably doesn't. Think of the cost of modifying existing tooling (you really don't want to know!). Would Ford allow it's tooling to be sent oversea's (out of it's control) for use? In the case of coupe rear quarter panels, if the tool(s)/tooling did exist, and the press(es) also still existed - Ford would be the most likely owner of the said presses and would be very unlikely to allow access for limited production at a viable price.
4. Drawings - I'm not sure what use these would be. The time to digitize them for reproduction tooling vs simple fast laser co-ordinate measuring of existing original parts, would probably render the drawings irrelevant in may cases.
5. At the end of the day the cost modifying tooling or retooling would probably greatly limit the range of parts that would be likely to be made.

I hope it is a little more positive than this. But, I suspect that few of us will get what we really need.
You sir, are 100% spot on.

My concern is, if im going to fork out big money for a HO(which im not), i want the headlights to say lucas, not rare spares!

Having genuine and none genuine is easy to determine what a car is actually worth, now we going to have geniune, none genuine and genuine none geniune..

Anyway enough of that.. When can i pick up my coupe taillights??
1975 XB Falcon Sedan
Old 23-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #43
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You sir, are 100% spot on.

My concern is, if im going to fork out big money for a HO(which im not), i want the headlights to say lucas, not rare spares!

Having genuine and none genuine is easy to determine what a car is actually worth, now we going to have geniune, none genuine and genuine none geniune..

Anyway enough of that.. When can i pick up my coupe taillights??
Ahh Lucas headlights arent parts made by Ford... much like Hella....

As for tooling, Ford made a run of panels in the 1990s! for XB/XC cars and from memory all the dies were scrapped soon after that. Even brand new GT grills made an appearance... if only we knew then!

Old 23-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #44
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing is for sure none of us know what tooling , drawings or data is still around
we do not know the arrangement between the two parties and what resources are going to be alocated to the project
we are speculating on what they may or may not be making, how they are going to make it and what the quality is going to be like

and again we have those who can only see the down side. on the surface this is good news
sure you are entitled to your opinion I respect that but we should be looking at what is good about this anouncement

I say lets see what happends before we **** can what could possibly be a good thing
also a reproduction headlight would not have lucas on them or rare spares. it would look like a lucas headlight but have no branding what so ever
come on guys a little common sense.

If the gear they make is crap, then its open slather

Last edited by neptune blue; 23-11-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 23-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #45
GA_0009
Restoration Garage

Just playing devils advocate is all.. I'm as happy as a pig in **** about this
1975 XB Falcon Sedan
Old 24-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #46
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Ahh no they are made in China...

www.newoldcarcompany.com.au

This guy started making full doors, bonnets etc a while ago, but progress has been slow.
taiwan not china, and there not made buy him anyway, only sold by him
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #47
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
A few things.

one of the best thought out posts iv read on here, drawings can be extremelly handy or useless all depending on the part, alot of the finer detail needed to make a good quality repro isnt listed on a drawing as they either left it up to the manufacturer or didnt care too much etc, back then it was just a production part, but now to make a repro concourse you oftern need more info then drawings can provide
Old 24-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #48
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCav View Post
taiwan not china, and there not made buy him anyway, only sold by him
If you want to be technical... they are made for him.
Everyone else on sells them...

Old 24-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #49
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

Deleted

Last edited by BigCav; 24-11-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 24-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #50
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

its no different from now.. the paint dabbers and bonnet poppers will still hunt down and pay top dollar for their pieces of date coded old car bits......

for those with more exciting lives this partnership is a good thing.. i like it....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #51
EF ECTIV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

excellent news... Here's hoping the next "partnership" of repro parts includes the much beloved (hated?) E-series bits and pieces... Would love to throw a heap of NOS into mine... As has been previously said its ridiculous how many NOS GM parts are available in comparison to Ford... great day to <3 ford

1998 EL XR8 S2, Oxford, Manual, tickford kit
Project

2013 G6ET

Stock daily

2022 Patrol TiL
Stock daily
EF ECTIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: