Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Service Scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
My better half managed to break the plastic switch the operates the electric park brake on my X5 (hauling up on it as though it was a mechanical park brake). The plastic cracked and it now comes off if you're not careful.

Apparently, the entire centre console has to be opened up, the electronic module it is embedded in replaced and then the car re-programmed to recognise the new switch - around $600.

Based on your post, I've now forbidden her from using the panoramic sunroof

The passenger-side mirror stopped automatically dipping when I select reverse quite some time ago but frankly, I don't care...

Next daily driver will be simpler.
My ex's sister just bought an early 2000's ML 430, cost around 10k. I'm sure she only bought it to get a sense of self satisfaction telling people she drives a Mercedes. But i'll bet she'll crap herself if anything every goes wrong with the thing, especially being a V8 version with all the fruit. If something major goes she will definately struggle to pay to fix it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #62
Rodge
Banned

^^ And I think that is a major factor in why circa 10 year old Euro's are so inexpensive compared to their original price. I've had mine 5 1/2 years now and I've had a real lesson in "depreciation".

I got the bill this morning. They did a lot of work, full service, change out both air filters, (there's one on each side of the engine) and cleaned out air filter housings, change brake fluid, full transmission service including 8 litres of the official M Benz transmission fluid and new transmission oil filter...and remembering its a diesel the bill came to $1,262 plus GST. They gave me a free loan car for the day, the car was immaculatly groomed upon return, as usual, and it appears they did a superb job, the car and its transmission are absolutly purring.

I'm happy with the bill, (pretty sure the same amount of work on my other car at a Ford dealer would come to a similar amount), and am happy to stay with them and glad i identified the fish-hooks before they became a problem. There's lots of horror stories with owning Euro cars, this one turned out just fine as far as I'm concerned. I'm decided to be happy to run with an outdated GPS map, hardly ever use the thing TBH and have organised a full set of new tyres for Monday.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #63
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

That’s actually not a bad price for the work done Rodge....

Perhaps 'Scam' was the wrong word to use, but this thread, and many others here highlight that you need to be totally on the ball when it comes to servicing your car. You must know what is due and when (keep good records) and always ask for prices when dropping the car off. Shopping around is always good, but not for the absolute lowest price, more for the best 'service' you can get as a whole for your money.

I don't think I have EVER been told a price voluntary when dropping a car off for a service, is has just been the 'yep, no worries, will call you when it's done' as a reply. ASK, ASK, ASK, NEVER Assume anything.

A scam is when they go out of their way to rort money from you. Like the receipt my sister got several years ago for her Echo from Toyota '$2XX for new front pads and $90 for a wheel rotation"... only problem was I did the brakes 3 months prior already, and when they do a service wheels are removed for a brake inspection anyway. Now that is a scam. Yes, we got a refund ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #64
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Good price, well worth it. Always speak to the service adviser first to give them a limit of what they can charge before getting authorisation. You'll find the mechanic will pay no attention to this but they will struggle to charge you more if they go about the approved price.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #65
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had a letter and then a follow up phone call from Mitsubishi last week saying my 380 was due for a service because it was 6 months since the last one. So I booked it in at Jax and they rang the lease company to get authorisation for the service but the lease mob said it's not due until 120,000 (currently at 108xxx), so they wouldn't authorise it since it's not required just yet. So I just got a wheel alignment instead. oh, and Mitsubishi wanted $240 for the (minor) service - really a glorified oil change. Jax would've only charged $130. I don't see how 2 workshops doing the same thing can be so far apart in price.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 15-12-2012 at 09:48 AM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #66
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I had a letter and then a follow up phone call from Mitsubishi last week saying my 380 was due for a service because it was 6 months since the last one. So I booked it in at Jax and they rang the lease company to get authorisation for the service but the lease mob said it's not due until 120,000 (currently at 108xxx), so they wouldn't authorise it since it's not required just yet. So I just got a wheel alignment instead. oh, and Mitsubishi wanted $240 for the (minor) service - really a glorified oil change. Jax would've only charged $130. I don't see how 2 workshops doing the same thing can be so far apart in price.
Labour. I work at a Mitsubishi dealer and we charge $150 an hour.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #67
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats spot on. With that range in pricing obviously some sections of the motor industry haven't caught up with others in recognising that, in order to charge premium pricing, you need to add value. It will catch up with them one day and those that continue to do that will be gone.

I think my service people, Autotech, charge around $120/hr which may is slightly higher than Ford, but that mob add so much value with a huge focus on customer service with good follow up . Plus their staff are technically brilliant.

AS for Euro pricing, its not so much the cost of labour (although that is comparitively higher than the service depts of the local manufacturers), it's more the cost of spare parts
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #68
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
I had a letter and then a follow up phone call from Mitsubishi last week saying my 380 was due for a service because it was 6 months since the last one. So I booked it in at Jax and they rang the lease company to get authorisation for the service but the lease mob said it's not due until 120,000 (currently at 108xxx), so they wouldn't authorise it since it's not required just yet..

Hope they did your timing belt 3000k's ago...(at the 105k service)

You need to have at least one Mitsi dealer service once a year for the 10 year drive train warranty.

Just thinking...does the Jax mob t have a MUT3 diagnostic tool to see what the ECU is saying?

An OBD scan tool will not show everything up.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
That’s actually not a bad price for the work done Rodge....

Perhaps 'Scam' was the wrong word to use, but this thread, and many others here highlight that you need to be totally on the ball when it comes to servicing your car. You must know what is due and when (keep good records) and always ask for prices when dropping the car off. Shopping around is always good, but not for the absolute lowest price, more for the best 'service' you can get as a whole for your money.

I don't think I have EVER been told a price voluntary when dropping a car off for a service, is has just been the 'yep, no worries, will call you when it's done' as a reply. ASK, ASK, ASK, NEVER Assume anything.

A scam is when they go out of their way to rort money from you. Like the receipt my sister got several years ago for her Echo from Toyota '$2XX for new front pads and $90 for a wheel rotation"... only problem was I did the brakes 3 months prior already, and when they do a service wheels are removed for a brake inspection anyway. Now that is a scam. Yes, we got a refund ;)
One thing that is a total scam is the fuel injector clean that they will charge a mint for, when all it is is a $15 bottle of injector cleaner poured into your petrol tank that takes all of 1 minute to do. They will probably charge $50-100 for this.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
One thing that is a total scam is the fuel injector clean that they will charge a mint for, when all it is is a $15 bottle of injector cleaner poured into your petrol tank that takes all of 1 minute to do. They will probably charge $50-100 for this.
At Honda we had this thing that would plug tap into the fuel rail and run directly to the injectors, not poured in the tank.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #71
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
most shops use a pressurised system that the car runs on for a set time period as Damo mentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
At Honda we had this thing that would plug tap into the fuel rail and run directly to the injectors, not poured in the tank.
Most dealerships use a system that is based more on preventative measures, but there are some on car injector cleaners that are very thorough in their cleaning capabilities

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post