BA XR6T 71 61.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #61
99AUXR
Brad

Default Re: XR6T or STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
It's more expensive to get a WRX quick then a BA XRT.

The best thing you could do is drive an STI and a BA Mk2 6 speed (if you want a manual) back to back and decide which you like better.

Bang for your buck the XRT can't be beaten but it doesn't have the build quality or handling that the STI has.
I would rather Build quality and handling over straight line speed. The cheapest manual car ford turbo I can find on a quick search is a BAII Typhoon at 25k. So its either XR6T with 4 Speed vs Manual 6 Speed STi.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #62
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want build quality and handling then the BA is off the list lol. STI 100%
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #63
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you want build quality and handling then the BA is off the list lol. STI 100%
sorta like if you want a mans car not a kiddies car STI is off the list.. ey??
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #64
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^ My post got deleted which was similar to the above.

But really, why start the thread and get a poll going when your mind is already made up? Seems the XR6T was never a serious consideration of yours, and this thread was purely to just try and get the answers you want to hear?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #65
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post

But really, why start the thread and get a poll going when your mind is already made up? Seems the XR6T was never a serious consideration of yours, and this thread was purely to just try and get the answers you want to hear?
one night i'll start a thread what i should have for tea..

hungry jacks or mcdonalds..

thread will twist and turn.. pros and cons..

real bacon, fake bacon, flame grilled, fried, the best chips.. omg onion rings....

meanwhile i may sneak off for KFC..

OP buy what you want.. its much more fulfilling ..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #66
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not like an STi has good build quality either. The interior in an Impreza is woeful at best.

I would buy neither and get an Evo. If it's an STi you want, an Evo just does everything better, and is more reliable and more easily modified to boot.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #67
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:

My mind wasnt made up and still is not. The Pros for the XR6T were for me. Stronger engine, Rear wheel drive, great for open road driving (which I dont do anymore) and its a ford. Cons are big car which I dont really need and not really suited for track work (which I hope to do abit of). This thread was created to hear opinions of people who have been in a similar situation. If the STi had that horrible alarm it would be a nail in the coffin for me. This is information I was after.

I will be taking a BA XR6T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
one night i'll start a thread what i should have for tea..

hungry jacks or mcdonalds..

thread will twist and turn.. pros and cons..

real bacon, fake bacon, flame grilled, fried, the best chips.. omg onion rings....

meanwhile i may sneak off for KFC..

OP buy what you want.. its much more fulfilling ..
Wish it was burgers as I would have one of each
Old 30-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #68
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably the wrong forum to ask but i'd say go for a newer XR6T in as good as condition as you can afford.

Unless your going to be going offroad, or bad road surfaces you wont need the AWD.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #69
Buntz
Straight Eight

I Voted BA XR6T because it's a Ford Forum, and I'm a Falcon man.

But whatever you purchase, the most important thing is that YOU are happy with it. We aren't buying it.
Old 31-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #70
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing I like about the Turbo Falcons is that many people don't expect them to be quick cars, but they are. Unless you get a glimpse of that turbo or F6 badge, you expect it to be your average family car. Most people not into Fords wouldn't know what kind of a weapon they are (excluding Scared Commodore/SS drivers)

But everyone expects to see a WRX go fast. There's no shame in being overtaken at a track by a WRX, it's meant to do that. But having a family sedan pass you is a different story.
Anyone seen that clip of an F6 at a Ferrari track day? Believe it is a forum members car.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #71
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
One thing I like about the Turbo Falcons is that many people don't expect them to be quick cars, but they are. Unless you get a glimpse of that turbo or F6 badge, you expect it to be your average family car. Most people not into Fords wouldn't know what kind of a weapon they are (excluding Scared Commodore/SS drivers)

But everyone expects to see a WRX go fast. There's no shame in being overtaken at a track by a WRX, it's meant to do that. But having a family sedan pass you is a different story.
Anyone seen that clip of an F6 at a Ferrari track day? Believe it is a forum members car.

That is one reason I like my G6e turbo. Went to willowbank on Saturday night, and ran it with a full tank of fuel, as it is on the street, didnt touch tyre pressures, and three baby seats and my tool box. Middle of summer in Brisbane and ran a 13.0@107.7mph. The look on peoples faces in the staging lanes, especially the V8 brigade is priceless.
Old 31-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #72
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
My mind wasnt made up and still is not. The Pros for the XR6T were for me. Stronger engine, Rear wheel drive, great for open road driving (which I dont do anymore) and its a ford. Cons are big car which I dont really need and not really suited for track work (which I hope to do abit of). This thread was created to hear opinions of people who have been in a similar situation. If the STi had that horrible alarm it would be a nail in the coffin for me. This is information I was after.

I will be taking a BA XR6T.

Wish it was burgers as I would have one of each
I thought your were getting an STI? I'm confused.

By the sound of it you really need to spend some time on here (and probably rexnet) doing some research.

Ba's do not have a strong engine and handle like a boat, if your after something you can have fun with at the track relativity cheaply you will be disappointed.

If you don't go back to an STI tomorrow and stick with a Ford it would be good idea to save up the extra 5k now and buy a BF2. It does have a stronger engine, better gearbox, bigger brakes and nicer interior.

Being cheap now will cost you allot more in the long run, speaking from experience with BA's.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Old 31-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #73
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

By the sound of it you really need to spend some time on here (and probably rexnet) doing some research.

Ba's do not have a strong engine and handle like a boat, if your after something you can have fun with at the track relativity cheaply you will be disappointed.

If you don't go back to an STI tomorrow and stick with a Ford it would be good idea to save up the extra 5k now and buy a BF2. It does have a stronger engine, better gearbox, bigger brakes and nicer interior.

Being cheap now will cost you allot more in the long run, speaking from experience with BA's.
your the first person I've heard complain about the motors strength. I and most people I spoken to think there strong. its the driveline, brakes and suspension i'd be worried about. I have heard of on XR6 turbo with 490 000kms original motor, diff and transmission have been replaced thou. our BA we owned had a rather strong motor. suspension wise and diff not so much
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #74
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:

Sorry meant to say taking BA XR6T for a drive. I did today as there was one in at work and I knew the owner, It didnt feel as exciting to drive as the STi which is fine as the XR6T serves a different Niche. So Ill go for the STi now and later on hope to own a BF F6. . . They are amazing.

Thanks to everyone, My blood is still blue though
Old 31-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #75
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

best way too decide the car you like is too drive one!!! have fun with your STi
Old 31-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #76
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
best way too decide the car you like is too drive one!!! have fun with your STi
I said to my parents Im getting an STi. . . The look on their faces

(Its a car Mum)
Old 31-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #77
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahaha!!!
Old 31-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #78
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I said to my parents Im getting an STi. . . The look on their faces

(Its a car Mum)
STis are spreading fast. Check your garage now
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #79
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
your the first person I've heard complain about the motors strength. I and most people I spoken to think there strong. its the driveline, brakes and suspension i'd be worried about. I have heard of on XR6 turbo with 490 000kms original motor, diff and transmission have been replaced thou. our BA we owned had a rather strong motor. suspension wise and diff not so much
Sorry I meant if you up the power.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #80
99AUXR
Brad

This Popped up with 99000km. Really tidy......
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...ion=&district=
Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #81
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: XR6T or STi

Quote:
Sorry I meant if you up the power.
At 160k now and have done 60k of them tuned over 300rwkw,20k at over 350rwkw

I have a great tuner to thank though....something not everyone is able to access.

Interesting your view of BA's handling like a boat yet the BF was not put in same catergory.what improvements were made to the BF suspension wise Dash?
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #82
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
If the STi had that horrible alarm it would be a nail in the coffin for me. This is information I was after.
The alarm can be taken out, it's not a big deal. I had one in my MY99 WRX and the wife had one in her MY01 WRX. It was a good alarm system (although I disabled anti hijack in both cars) until it starts dying. Then it can be a tow truck situation even when you know the master code.

I had my MY99 for about 11 years and my wife still has her MY01. The MY02 STi we got in Australia was pretty good but personally I'd go for the MY03 STi as a minimum. Will you be getting a JDM or ADM model? The JDM's were better all round.

Don't worry about putting on new pads and discs with the STi's. These came with Brembos and unless they need replacing, don't replace them. If you are intending to do motorkhanas or lots of racing, be prepared to be buying new bearings and hubs (about $700).

If you're buying a modified MY02 STi and like the look of it, then go for it but if stock, then the MY03 STi is better. Personally I like the MY03-05 shape better than the bugeye. The ADM 6 speed was aweful to drive long distance if modified as the revs in sixth were up around 3000rpms at 100kph. The drone from the exhaust gets to you. The MY02 WRX 5 speed revs around 2600rpms at 100kph in fifth. As mentioned before, you're forever changing gears in the 6 speed. At 60kph, you'll be in fifth gear. When I broke 3rd in my MY99, I choose to rebuild my gearbox rather than fitting a 6 speed as I hated the ratios. But the JDM 6 speed may have different ratios, I'm not sure.

At the end of the day, test drive it around the suburbs and on hightway to see what you think. The Subaru's are a good car but can be expensive to maintain. I'm glad I got rid of my MY99. It was extensively modified but something always needed fixing or improving.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #83
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
It's more expensive to get a WRX quick then a BA XRT.
How do you come to this conclusion? All a WRX or STi needs is a tune and an exhaust which I'm guessing is the same for a XRT as well. Are tunes and exhausts cheaper for the XRT?

Or what's your definition of quick? I'm talking just a quick street car rather than an 11 second car.