Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Herbie54
Starter Motor

Smile Ford Territory 2011

Thought I'd share my experiences on my current model Territory. Purchased a Titanium RWD Deisel in March 2012. Primary reason was as a tow vehicle. My caravan is 1500kg all up weight and this Territory has a tow capacity of 2300kg with a Hayman Reece tow bar. I have used it to tow on 4 occasions and it does it easy. If you are looking at a tow vehicle for bitumen use this is the car. Very comfortable, fuel efficient and with heaps of power for those hills. I have had many cars over my 35+ years but this is the best one yet. Well done Ford on putting a diesel under the bonnet, you should have done it 5 yeas ago.

Herbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Territory 2011

Yeah that motor really has completed the car. Can't really see any reason to want to own the petrol version.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
spvd02

petrol version is quicker, more responsive. Uses a bit more fuel, but this can easily be kept under control. I don't prefer the lethargic response & strangled feel of a diesel. Bit of a 1-trick pony really. Diesel is appealing in a way, but the petrol has more responsive/better performance all round. You can't deny, fuel economy aside, the diesel isn't really better at anything. It hardly produces more torque than the I6, and the power/torque band on the I6 is wider. If you can deal with a slightly higher fuel bill, the petrol is the better drive.

Not everyone will agree, of course, but just remember, fuel economy isn't everything.
* Mods: Fox cat-back exhaust, Simota CAI, larger intercooler, Spider iMode chip-tuning plug in.

Engine responds very well to mods, but auto gearbox can become unsettled trying to cope with the extra torque. Good fuel economy overall: 9-12L/100km city, 8L/100 country.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Is it possible to run Waste Veg Oil instead of liquid gold through that oil burner in the Territory?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Performance and a Tez..hmm..not its intended function really...its a nice shopping trolley or tow vehicle.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Resale is poor on the petrol, good on the diesel. I bought a demo TS petrol for nearly 7 grand less than the equivalent diesel. I dont tow its just a family wagon. It would take many years of driving to recoup that sort of cost. The diesel is good, but I wouldnt totally discount what the petrol has to offer.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
davcam
Starter Motor

Looking at new Territory for similar reasons as Herbie45. Van is around 1600kg and currently tows ok with AU2 Fairmont. Leaning toward TX rwd 5 seat petrol. Prefer the look of base interior (dont like velour trim or chrome on dash of higher models). Also have option of lpg conversion on petrol model in future.
davcam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcam View Post
Looking at new Territory for similar reasons as Herbie45. Van is around 1600kg and currently tows ok with AU2 Fairmont. Leaning toward TX rwd 5 seat petrol. Prefer the look of base interior (dont like velour trim or chrome on dash of higher models). Also have option of lpg conversion on petrol model in future.
If you tow id definately try and swing it for a diesel. Your talking 12/100km vs 20/100km. You would recoup the costs much quicker if you tow
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
petrol version is quicker, more responsive. Uses a bit more fuel, but this can easily be kept under control. I don't prefer the lethargic response & strangled feel of a diesel. Bit of a 1-trick pony really. Diesel is appealing in a way, but the petrol has more responsive/better performance all round. You can't deny, fuel economy aside, the diesel isn't really better at anything. It hardly produces more torque than the I6, and the power/torque band on the I6 is wider. If you can deal with a slightly higher fuel bill, the petrol is the better drive.

Not everyone will agree, of course, but just remember, fuel economy isn't everything.
A run in diesel will just about keep up with the petrol to 100 km an hour. For me the diesel feels more refined then the i6. I'd buy a petrol at the right price though.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Performance and a Tez..hmm..not its intended function really...its a nice shopping trolley or tow vehicle.
I beg to differ......mine when new cost $40k+ cheaper than the euros, and beats nearly all of them in performance.

F6X 0-100 5.9secs
Porsche Cayanne GTS?????? 6.0secs at more than double the price.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Is it possible to run Waste Veg Oil instead of liquid gold through that oil burner in the Territory?
Going by what i know that i was once going to do on my last diesel vehicle. Yes IF you filter the oil though a 2 micron filter (and a couple of other things), common rail new age diesels dont take very well to dirty fuels like waste veg oil, unless its cleaned and cleaned again. The norm with running waste veg oils is having the oil filtered though a 5 to 8 micron filter albeit thats what you would do for the non common rail diesels. Either way, its a bit more risky running CRDI engines on waste veg oil. They will have no problem at all running on vege oil of the shelf from Coles.

Rudolf Diesel invented the Diesel engine to run on vege oil on his farm. It just so happened to work on ULP by-product and thus its gone that way, and now far away from the likes of waste vege oil, the oil co's do not like people using alternate fuels...

There once was a bloke who sold vege oil kits, even had books full of good useful info. I tried to find the website so i could purchase a conversion kit from him a year ago and guess what. His website, any contact details and any information about the kits and such... it has all dissappeared. Cant even search up the bloke. Oh well, i dont have a diesel anymore so its irrelevent to me anyway.

Sorry to ramble on everyone.

As you were.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Not something I'd do.

I have a mate that owns a diesel injection repair business and he reports that new age diesels do not take kindly to bio diesels. He has had a few people try it with disastrous results.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVF6X201 View Post
I beg to differ......mine when new cost $40k+ cheaper than the euros, and beats nearly all of them in performance.

F6X 0-100 5.9secs
Porsche Cayanne GTS?????? 6.0secs at more than double the price.
I know the F6X is a ripper car but there would be no Tez at all if the business case was built on performance Territory's.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Fez WQ

if the rear seats split I would have bought one..... ( bought to Hyundai Santa fe Deisel )Ford look at your competition... rears seats need to split on seven seaters. We have a family of six and we can pack our stuff into one side on our holidays and shopping .... the territory you have no option seat up or seat down ----- Why NO split
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well considering diesel makes up for 75% of Territory sales I would guess economy has something to do with it. But what ever floats your boat.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The diesel is actually more refined then the petrol model and does produce 49Nm more torque, the important bit being it produces peak at 1900rpm vs the petrols 3250. Having gone from a G6ET to the diesel I know a bit about the performance drop, lol, but in normal everyday, suburban/crawl driving it isn't lost and compared to the n/a I6 is smoother. Economy isn't everything, granted, however most buyers choose economomy over performance and Ford needs to sell more to the bigger buyer demographic. I actually also think once buyers get over the higher purchase price quickly, it's meeting the monthly repayments that takes over for the following 3+ years and you don't really remember that one type of fueled terry is $X more per month over the other. The only real issue you face constantly is that your range reading is showing 800km+ and that's only a positive. The great thing is we have a choice, my only wish is that the 3.0 V6 tdi is dropped in while my fantasy would be the new RR V8 Tdi, nirvana on wheels.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post