Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Strattos

Default Which coolant?

I've been search our forums for the past two weeks for a straight-ish answer on what coolant to use in my XR8 - it seems there are almost as many opinions on coolant as there are on what oil to use!

I was just going to play it safe and buy the Ford coolant from the dealership even though was probably going to be pretty pricey, but read that it's no good and some dealerships don't even use it. They use Nissan stuff instead.

I've also read that long-life coolant can damage your cooling system and a heap of other comments about a heap of other coolants.

Just so I can settle on something that is reasonably proven by you guys, is it safe to use Tectaloy Xtra Cool Gold?

If not what would you recommend? If it makes a difference, I live in a dry climate, where it gets pretty hot in summer (heaps of days over 35 and into the 40s) and can get down to zero first thing in the morning in winter.

Past: 1984 XE Falcon sedan 4.1L.
Strattos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
robbyj
Rob

Default Re: Which coolant?

the bright green premixed stuff from any auto store..
last sunday was an extremely hot day, plus running the car around the track all day. It works perfectly fine.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strattos View Post
I was just going to play it safe and buy the Ford coolant from the dealership even though was probably going to be pretty pricey, but read that it's no good and some dealerships don't even use it. They use Nissan stuff instead.

I've also read that long-life coolant can damage your cooling system and a heap of other comments about a heap of other coolants.
Matey, I worked in Ford dealerships for over 20 years and I have NEVER heard of them NOT using Genuine Coolant. If they have a warranty job involving the cooling system they HAVE to use Genuine coolant or, if the part they replace is faulty and another dealer has to replace the part and the mechanic is savvy, Ford will hear of it and the Dealer responsible gets a lot of flack and could be asked to PAY for the part and job.

Coolant you buy from Auto stores is mainly water where as the Genuine stuff is concentrated. Choose wisely and don't mix brands of coolant, different colours don't always play nice together.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

I've recently made the switch to genuine Toyota red coolant, never seen the dial sit so low on the gauge....
3 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the OP there's nothing wrong IMO with using the Xtracool Gold, but whichever coolant you do choose make sure that the system is thoroughly clean beforehand. I've been holding off changing my coolant but when I do it I'll be using the Nulon Long Life Red Concentrate:
Red Long Life Concentrated Coolant
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Strattos

Thanks guys.

Papa, good to hear from someone in the know re the Ford coolant.

Thanks for the other options.

Old 26-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
peterljohnson55

Here is how Valvoline package their different Zerex coolants for different applications. Other companies will proabably have a similar chart, and they may be worth chasing down. Not sure if Zerex is available in Aus. http://www.englefieldoil.com/PDF/Zerex_chart.pdf
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Stick with the genuine Ford stuff.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you swap over to the toyota red stuff you should do a very good flush, apparently it mixes with the green stuff like oil and water and could leave residue on metal with no coolant/inhibitor, this is what I have read anyway,
* you Must have corrosion inhibitors in modern cooling systems regardless of the brand, or else face likely expensive repairs not too far down the track.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: Which coolant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55 View Post
Here is how Valvoline package their different Zerex coolants for different applications. Other companies will proabably have a similar chart, and they may be worth chasing down. Not sure if Zerex is available in Aus. http://www.englefieldoil.com/PDF/Zerex_chart.pdf
I bought some Zerex a few years back to get me out of some trouble whilst on holiday interstate. Haven't really noticed it lately, but honestly haven't been looking for it.

BTW it was the green stuff, not red.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I have used the Nulon Ultra Cool concentrate for years now in both our cars and never had an issue, that's just the regular concentrate, not the long life. Flush the system and fill with rain water then just up end the entire bottle into the reservoir and jobs right. It says good for 20L so the 15L or so of the ford system makes for a good strong mix and at under $20 a bottle from most of the auto stores it works out cheaper than most of the other options.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
Strattos

Thanks Bushbasher. You got in ahead of me.

Ended up going with Nulon. Job done on the weekend.

Best thing about doing maintenance I reckon is going for a drive straight after.

Just feels better driving around knowing you've got fresh oil, coolant etc in your car.