Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Mrs P

Default Cracked fog lamps = yellow sticker?

Just been told by my mechanic that my XR6T's cracked fog lamps are a "yellow sticker" offense (i.e. would receive a work order or compliance notice if pulled over by the cops).

Does anyone know if this is actually true? They've been cracked for ages and infact at last service it was mentioned but they didn't mention the yellow sticker. So I'm a bit unsure?!

Mrs P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Jimmy_Rebel

It is a road worthy item. When doing roadworthy any cracked lenses are unroadworthy. And if you got a picky enough police officer they'd canary you for it. I've seen it some for indicator lenses.

Last edited by flappist; 08-02-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Jimmy_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Cracked fog lamps = yellow sticker?

It would be, but how visible is it?

If it's only visible from close up I wouldn't even worry about it because no one will notice, but if it's a big crack that's easily visible that's a different story. It's probably something you'd never get pulled over for but technically it would make the car unroadworthy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Mrs P

Bugger. Cheers for that. Just spent 2.5K on some major works, feels like a money pit at the moment! Hubby says he can replace them himself, is it something you can DIY fairly easily?
Mrs P is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Jimmy_Rebel

You have to get underneath the bar. They're tricky if you've never done them before.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it functions its legal,if its just cracked then so is the cop.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Interesting...

I have the tiniest crack in one of the indicator lenses on the bullbar on my AUII wagon... would they seriously canary it for that?
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Jimmy_Rebel

If you got a tough enough cop they do.
I was in a car they did it on. Was an AUII wagon with sun damaged lense and it had a crack from heat damage and they chucked him a canary.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Jimmy_Rebel

Mind you it was after he was pulled over for 'not indicating long enough in a lane change'
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
if it functions its legal,if its just cracked then so is the cop.
If the crack is enough to allow light to shine through the lense, it's a canary....

IMA, most cops wouldn't bother, providing you act innocient...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
XrRabbit
Little Sammy xr6

It shouldn't I have 2 cracks in one if my fog lights. Been there for almost 2 years and have been pulled over a lot by the cops (never doing anything wrong) always random breathos and licence checks and never had them say anything to me about it.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Just because you have not been done for it do not assume it is ok. Damaged lights are part of roadworthy

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Assuming it's a glass lens there's always the old........ "cracked officer? really?... Gee it wasn't yesterday. It must have been a stone thrown up by another car that did it".
Old 08-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just had a car roadworthied. one of the items was a cracked indicator lense, and cracks in my tail light.

So interpret that as you will

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the light is there it cant be cracked, just remove them till you can fix or dont bother as you cant use them unless its foggy.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Rebel View Post
Mind you it was after he was pulled over for 'not indicating long enough in a lane change'
I got warned for that down in Rocky in the G6E...No other traffic around, copper was in other lane a few car lengths back, I checked the mirror, did a head check, and flicked the indicator stalk to activate the "lane change" thing where it flashes three times...I was in the other lane by the time it did the third flash. Next thing it's blue lights and he pulled me over. Wife starts saying "You indicated, didn't you?', and I said yes.

Cop walks up to window, gives me a short lecture about lane changing, said I didn't indicate for long enough...I showed him the way the lane change feature worked, it flashes three times. He didn't seem to care..."That's not enough". I said "That's how it is from the factory...I can show you the handbook where it's called a lane change feature". He replied "Well the idiots at Ford have got it wrong...indicate properly next time, alright?"

Must have been a slow day...or he was annoyed at having to drive around in an Aurion...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the reason a crack is considered unroadworthy is they believe water can enter the light affecting the operation of the light ( I was told this by a friend who does inspections). Any crack in a light is an unroadworthy technically but minor ones are usually ignored. if the cop had had a bad day or you give him attitude you'll get a pretty yellow sticker

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I got warned for that down in Rocky in the G6E...No other traffic around, copper was in other lane a few car lengths back, I checked the mirror, did a head check, and flicked the indicator stalk to activate the "lane change" thing where it flashes three times...I was in the other lane by the time it did the third flash. Next thing it's blue lights and he pulled me over. Wife starts saying "You indicated, didn't you?', and I said yes.

Cop walks up to window, gives me a short lecture about lane changing, said I didn't indicate for long enough...I showed him the way the lane change feature worked, it flashes three times. He didn't seem to care..."That's not enough". I said "That's how it is from the factory...I can show you the handbook where it's called a lane change feature". He replied "Well the idiots at Ford have got it wrong...indicate properly next time, alright?"

Must have been a slow day...or he was annoyed at having to drive around in an Aurion...
I know it's only a small thing, but you're meant to indicate before changing lanes not start indicating while changing lanes. But at least you use yours, some drivers seem to think it optional.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
the reason a crack is considered unroadworthy is they believe water can enter the light affecting the operation of the light ( I was told this by a friend who does inspections). Any crack in a light is an unroadworthy technically but minor ones are usually ignored. if the cop had had a bad day or you give him attitude you'll get a pretty yellow sticker

Thats right, you can have a roadworthy light with a crack as long as it is water tight or still sealed basically. I do a few roadworthy's mainly on older cars and lenses are usually 'fractured' (cracked) from age, and have never had a problem with them failing a RWC.

XB GT Restoration - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11281881

LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB View Post
I know it's only a small thing, but you're meant to indicate before changing lanes not start indicating while changing lanes. But at least you use yours, some drivers seem to think it optional.
I have never liked the 3 flash bit, a minimum 4 or possibly 5 would be best. As for the OP post, the short answer is yes they are, the long answer is they probably wont depending on how bad they are and they definately will if you give the cop some lip and he sees it. Although it depends on where you put your lips, hahahaha.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems the lenses only crack when they are hit while hot.I never had a crack in either of my cars because I don't use them.Do agree though that cracks are a RWC item.The fog lights are cheap off ebay and if you drop the air dam are easy to fit.Just check the new lights when you get them to see how the clips lock onto the fog light holes they just push in but could be a paint to get out without causing damage.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #22
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i lost a couple of fog light due to damage, so i bought some plastic protectors. it protected lens fine, but it broke the mounting bracket (plastic), so i had to buy a new light anyway.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Rebel View Post
If you got a tough enough cop they do.
I was in a car they did it on. Was an AUII wagon with sun damaged lense and it had a crack from heat damage and they chucked him a canary.
If there was one having a bad day you decided to make worse, pretty much.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post