Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
stavford
Starter Motor

Default oil and oil filter change

hey folks, the oil in my ZG Fairlane has'nt been changed for about 8years, due to not driving it, just restoring the interior, it has been started every 4months or so, but not run for long, what i want to know is im about to change the oil and oil filter, now should i run it prior or drain the oil cold over time so i dont mix the **** oil around the engine again? it has not been turned over for about 3 months.

stavford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: oil and oil filter change

I would add an engine cleaner run it for 10 mins or what ever it stipulates on the bottle then change it

Last edited by roberts; 12-02-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: sdgdg
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would simply run it to operating temp and drop both oil and filter

I would also do another oil and filter changed in arround 2500km after some regular driving

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Werd.
nou

Dump it cold, refill, run for a bit till it's warm, dump again, new oil and filter, happy days.

Don't have to use expensive oil on the "flush" cycle but that method above is far better than running 8yr old oil till it's warm, then again it's a tough old engine so it might not care too much, that's just what I'd do.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Gavin Thomas
* 1973 ZF Fairlane 500 *

Drain it cold & replace filter - then fill with new "budget" oil and add an oil flush. Run up to operating temp & allow to idle for approx 20~30mins. Then drain whilst hot, new filter & put your desired "good" oil in.... Job done.

Might sound like a waste of oil & filter - but really these are relatively cheap consumable items - so not a big dollar cost for decent flush out job + better piece of mind.

Cheers.

* 2023 Camry Hybrid

* 2004 Camry, still going good

* 1973 ZF Fairlane 500

Previous Classic Fords

* 1960 XK Deluxe Sedan

* 1962 XK Deluxe Sedan
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was thinking an engine flush shouldn't hurt it.

For example, after draining the old oil, refill with an el cheapo generic brand oil and let it idle with a bottle of flush and drain again before using a better oil.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no need for a flush additive at all, do the 1st change cold as suggested above
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah flushing isn't important, but I would do an oil & filter change much earlier than 5000kms, like the Yeti said.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Seeing its been run every 4 months, there's no harm in warming it up before dumping the oil, which is far better than dumping cold.

I wouldn't use an engine flush in case it loosens something in a lump where you dont want it to and block up an oilway or something. Also could cause an oil leak.

After initial dumping, change oil filter and add new oil. Drive for about half an hour then repeat oil change and filter. Further oil and filter changes would be dependent on the condition of the oil that came out, whether its black or clear looking.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it can be driven a good 1/2 hr drive then dump ( my theory has allways been the revs help wash the guts out ) . just my 2cs
Old 13-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's been started a couple of times a year , I would just run it to operating temp then do a change as normal.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Seeing its been run every 4 months, there's no harm in warming it up before dumping the oil, which is far better than dumping cold.

I wouldn't use an engine flush in case it loosens something in a lump where you dont want it to and block up an oilway or something. Also could cause an oil leak.

After initial dumping, change oil filter and add new oil. Drive for about half an hour then repeat oil change and filter. Further oil and filter changes would be dependent on the condition of the oil that came out, whether its black or clear looking.
+1, just keep checking the condition of the oil, you may need to do 2-3 services quickly if oil starts going black quickly to clean out the internals.

I would not use an engine flush as said above it can sometimes do more harm than good especially in an old engine.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Thomas View Post
Drain it cold & replace filter - then fill with new "budget" oil and add an oil flush. Run up to operating temp & allow to idle for approx 20~30mins. Then drain whilst hot, new filter & put your desired "good" oil in.... Job done.

Might sound like a waste of oil & filter - but really these are relatively cheap consumable items - so not a big dollar cost for decent flush out job + better piece of mind.

Cheers.
^^^^^ This is what I would be doing, then put in reasonably good oil and keep an eye on it, as soon as it goes dark, change again.

Then service as per normal, every 5000km for me.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Check your welch plugs too before you go driving it. Get under the car and give them a good poke with a screw driver. 3 on each side of the block.

Excellent choice of car BTW;)
Old 13-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
stavford
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavford View Post
hey folks, the oil in my ZG Fairlane has'nt been changed for about 8years, due to not driving it, just restoring the interior, it has been started every 4months or so, but not run for long, what i want to know is im about to change the oil and oil filter, now should i run it prior or drain the oil cold over time so i dont mix the **** oil around the engine again? it has not been turned over for about 3 months.
thanks for everyones help, jobs done, very happy, Cheer's steve.
stavford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post