Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
stace650

Default Those curved windscreen wipers

Hi,
Has anyone used those curved windscreen wipers you can buy? I saw some the other day. Expensive, but interesting. Of course I opted for el cheapo normal ones so I could put my hard-earned towards a flash tuner instead.
Cheers,
Stace

'63 Mercury Meteor
Long and slow
stace650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

Default Re: Those curved windscreen wipers

Hey mate,
If your talking about the ones where you replace the majority of the arm for the flexible bit that holds the wiper blade, I think they may have been marketed as flexblade or flexiblade or something like that, and cost a fair few times more than standard replacements, don't bother, they work well for about the same time as the cheaper ones and I didn't notice any difference, well not enough for the cost anyways!

2 Time Australian National Circlework Champion 2014 & 2017
First Falcon to win the National Circlework Title! Click here
First Muppet to win the National Circlework Title Twice! Click here

3rd 2015 18th 2016 2nd 2018
1st Bendigo Bute Ute show Circlework 2015, 2016 and 2017
ZedTee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
stace650

Yep, that's them! Glad I didn't shell out then. Cheers.

'63 Mercury Meteor
Long and slow
stace650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Just got myself a set of the Bosch Aerotwin wipers... Supposedly the best when it comes to wipers.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

Hey Pepscobra,
Previously using these types of expensive "awesome" Wipers, they may work good when you put em on but doesn't matter what type i've had they will all dry out and harden during summer and usually need replacing when the hot weather calms down a wee bit. Everyone has their own opinions and experiences, but I've found it to be cheaper to use the el cheapo ones as they usually last me no more than 12 months working fine as did the much more expensive ones, if that makes sense.
If you have found a brand that has lasted a long time, we'd love to know about it!
Cheers mate!

Old 21-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
ZedTee
Just kickin' up dust

Oops just read you post properly, you did drop a brand name! Ignore me!
Cheers

Old 21-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Got the Flexblades on mine. Been on for abooooout 2 years. Yes they need replacing, but still work good for the age of them

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

As the saying goes "You get what you pay for".

I've used Bosch Aerotwins on my BA and Trico Techs on the FG. I've used them for about 5 years now. They are far better than the antiquated standard 'whiffletree' wipers still being fitted to the new Falcons. When I took delivery of the FG the first thing I did was change them over.

The flexblade wipers are much quieter, and wipes the windscreen far better, which means much greater safety when driving in the rain.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Plus the older wiper blade heads lose spring tension in them over time ... and no matter what wiper blades used .. new or old .... wiper performance is degraded.

I just replaced my FG ones and also changed my Territory ones over using the Repco branded cruved blades. Last set I had on the Territory for over 2 years ... and it was just starting to lose wiping performance. I got them when Repco had 60% off everything .... made it affordable ... at least I know I have a good 2 years worth of use out of them.

Also ... I clean the wiper rubbers everywash so as to increase wiper longevity as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Damn I get new wipers every service so 4 sets a year. By the 2nd month they are streaky. How do u keep them for 2 years?
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Cleaning them every time wash the car makes a big difference ... plus i don't park under trees ... I find if it does get parked under one (if my better half does) ... it gets junk under them ... and that kills them even quicker ... streaking across the window even more.
Old 21-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
4vdean

Rain X is the go "almost" makes the wipers obsolete, can be used on side/rear windows and mirrors giving increased visibilty allround.
7 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Rain x works a treat. I have it in the concentrate at home and add it to the wiper water. Had one day when I was coming home where the wiper arm came off the motor. Was ok though because of the rain x. Drove 45 minutes with no driver side wiper at 110

Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 21-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got those Tridon Flexblade ones on the Focus, the drivers side one is too long and it hits the passenger one on the way up/down, and the drivers one occasionally sticks half way up the windscreen and nearly snaps in half it looks like on the way up.

Got them on my EL Fairmont Ghia too, the drivers side one starts trying to lift at 110km/h on the freeway, it goes up/down off the wind screen when they're sitting there.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It depends how fussy you are.

The newer flexi-style wipers have constant pressure exerted throughout the length of the blade, which makes the wipe smooth across the windscreen.

The older style wiper blades only have 4 pressure points (at the two ends, and two in middle), and this gives uneven pressure on the blade, which results in various (from barely noticeable to annoying) forms of shuddering.

I personally dislike the shudder that comes on the driver's side wiper, on the blade section closest to the bottom of the windscreen, when the wipers are coming down from/going up to their top vertical position.
The flexi-style blades seem to eliminate this.

In addition to any X% off sales, Aldi have offered the flexi style (in the own brand) in the past, relatively cheaply. I've found the Aldi version works very well.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
Rain x works a treat. I have it in the concentrate at home and add it to the wiper water. Had one day when I was coming home where the wiper arm came off the motor. Was ok though because of the rain x. Drove 45 minutes with no driver side wiper at 110
Is that the same Rainx that you buff on/off your screen that you use, or is this a different product that they market to add to your washer bottle?

On topic, I've used these for a short while and they give far better wiping than standard blades - can't vouch for their lasting ability at this stage of the game though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Frameless...item460c409f01

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Is that the same Rainx that you buff on/off your screen that you use, or is this a different product that they market to add to your washer bottle?
It's a windscreen washer additive. I think you add 125ml to the washer reservoir - can't go out to double check at the moment.

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 21-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

^^^^ All good XR6toy, I'll find it at SCA. If this is anywhere near the quality of the original I'll be happy - it's gotta beat metho though!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

You can get the RainX window cleaner now as well in a yellow bottle ... so no need to rub it into the window with paper or the like .... it's an all in one ... I have been using it while I had no Stoner's Invisible Glass ... and so far so good .... makes it easier to apply.