Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default W.A. finally get ethani base fuels

sorry if this is a repost or in the wrong area

for the last month we have had a handful of sites in perth running e10 fuel at 2c per Lt cheaper than standard 91

is it worth is for the price ?
is it worth it as a fuel ?

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Default Re: W.A. finally get ethani base fuels

It would be a very desperate day i put e10 crap in my car.
2c /l cheaper will use more fuel anyway.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i wont be putting it anywhere my vehicles
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only benefit is to occasionally run a tank as it will clean your injectors but try to find the E10 95 that united sell . ethanol does a great job breaking up deposits in the fuel system but I wouldn't use it as an everyday fuel

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: W.A. finally get ethani base fuels

I use it every day at E48 levels now and also used United 100 octane E10 for two years straight with no issues on standard fuel lines etc.

Nothing wrong with E10 % based fuels.

Allot of guys will be hoping that 100 E10 and E85 make there way around I recon in WA.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
wookie836
Highway wanderer

My local united in southlakes [WA] just recently made the switch, theres only one local servo that sells 98 now [caltex].
Interesting to see how my BA will take the e10 100 octane compared to standard 98, also is there much risk running my 77 XC on e10 [just runs a cast iron xflow, soon to be alloy head xflow], the servo says that its suitable for post 86 vehicles.
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It must be leftover fuel that no one wants to buy from Victoria. Shell are/have replaced all their E10 pumps with diesel pumps due to lack of demand. People have switched onto how much of a false economy it is.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Forced induction engines its fine..
N/A engines ?? I dont have any !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not for me, heard too many horror stories, especially of more ethanol than advertised being used in the mix.
Old 28-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
wookie836
Highway wanderer

Ive done a bit of reading up on this,
E10 isnt suitable for pre 86 vehicles and shouldnt cause damage to modern engines [post 2001] in 'day to day operations', although the fuel may corrode fuel lines, loosen up deposits, rust etc in fuel tanks and cause ongoing problems within the fuel system, blocking filters and can damage catalytic converters.

Ethanol fuel promotes water formation and this in turn creates formic acid, which corrodes rubber, plastics and metals. If your car sits for long periods of time this can be a issue. How about the water that may be present in the tanks underneath the fuel station??

its recommended that if you are using e10 you should replace your fuel filters after a few tanks of the fuel and make sure theres no existing water in the fuel tank [1l of metho in a tank of fuel should help, as water dissolves metho and vice versa, so unless you have a lot of water it the metho will dissolve the water].

E10 is meant to be up to a maximum of 10% ethanol and we all know servos follow the rules :P. In the US there have been alcohol fuel testing kits released so people can find out the quality of the fuel theyre buying. having more than 10% ethanol can cause problems, commonly with the water formation in the fuel. E10 was made with the best interest of the environment, not your car. although it can promote better performance with the higher octane, ethanol fuel has lower energy compared to petrol so people may see their consumption rise.
Since e10s benefit if lower emissions, but you need to use more fuel to travel the same distance as petrol, wouldnt the environmental benefits would be negated?

some links for further reading, some mixed messages
http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?TerID=1158
http://www.biofuels.nsw.gov.au/biofu...0_fuel_economy
http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #11
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Conspiracy theory !! With modern EFI engines its fine..
In Fact the go fast fuel these days is E85. Its VERY engine friendly..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I won't put it in my dual fuel FG cos it just sits there and is only used for start up.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ethanol...purposely making your car get worse fuel economy using an energy-negative additive which is massively tax-payer subsidised to make it even half affordable and which increases food costs for poor nations where the raw materials are mostly sourced from to make a better environment...

Makes perfect sense...

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Anyone tried E85 on N/A engines?

With a TI Performance J3 I can run up to 4 fuels, thinking 91/98 and E85 tunes.

Caltex Tullamarine sells "E-Flex" (which is like E70-85 or something).

I don't have any boosted gasoline engined vehicles, only the real stuff ;)
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

We run E85 in the saloon cars. Makes good hp, but we are limited on head work and only one cam grind.
Need bigger injectors, the tune is different, but close to what we used to run.
Had some dramas with the fuel pump pickup in the tank turning to goo, so we now change it regularly.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm View Post
We run E85 in the saloon cars. Makes good hp, but we are limited on head work and only one cam grind.
Need bigger injectors, the tune is different, but close to what we used to run.
Had some dramas with the fuel pump pickup in the tank turning to goo, so we now change it regularly.
I've got ported/polished head with stiffer valve springs, bigger exhaust valves and mild cam with slight compression raise because the head is decked and I'm running AU Falcon gasket.

I'd probably do fuel pump and injectors to match if I went E85, how do they go compared to say 98? Is it worth it?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's no conspiracy theory...look up the official government list of vehicles that would become expensive garden ornaments if the green morons had their way and got it mandated across the country, with normal unleaded no longer available...it's a real shock. Even something as common as my mothers 1996 Mazda 121 Metro is not allowed to use it at all...guess the little old lady who's actually an environmental vandal in disguise for driving such a car should scrap it and go buy a brand new ethanol-compliant car like a good little consumer...

Not to mention the awkward fact that if it was mandated for all fuel, how long do you think the heavy government subsidies would remain? (Look at what happened to LP Gas...it used to be cheap as chips, and once they encouraged lots of people to take up it's use in their cars, they removed the subsidies and it hardly became worthwhile to fit it...presumably the government did this with a movie villain cackling laugh). People would be shocked to see the true cost of production passed on to the consumer. One estimate I saw from, I believe, the CSIRO, was around twenty cents or more per liter extra if all costs were passed on fully. Ouch.

Not to mention it's fine fuel to use...as long as you are prepared to ignore the world wide problems that production is causing. Poor countries governments have taken over vast areas of what food land they do have and turned it over to production of ethanol crops to sell to the increasing demand for ethanol in wealthy countries in Europe and the USA. Food costs have gone through the roof for the populace of these countries, and it's causing a huge problem.

But hey, as long as you can feel smug and green and you honestly believe the lie that you are "helping do something for the environment", then hey, put on the blinkers and go for it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the last thing those horrible 'greens' wanted was an alliance between the cane grower and the Howard govt to promote ethanol at the cost of productive land previously used for other food.
The Nationals fm northern NSW and Qld certainly did want it to be able to exploit cane waste, along with one of Johnies mates who'd set up an ethanol plant!
IIRC Howard mandated it!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post