Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #91
Lardman

Default Re: South Australia to put curfew on P-platers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDXR6T View Post
On the 'licence is a privilege' bandwagon, and always have been. Whiners are always going to whinge, if you abide by the rules, you'll progress to unrestricted. I see too many P Platers doing the wrong thing, especially with a full carload of influences.
And for those of us that don't?

I had people who'd love to backseat drive, and eventually it got to the point where I stopped and said they're welcome to walk.

I had my own crash but it was out in the middle of nowhere where I knew I'd probably screw up and hurt myself eventually. Done quite a few trackdays etc since and am much better now, but anyway - don't tell us we're all young drink driving idiots when some of us clearly do care about driving.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #92
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yet another stupid law, albeit proposed at this stage, I bet any of you a grand they wouldn't introduce on over sixties who are also over represented in the road toll. And why, because over sixties vote. They introduce this on licences from a date in the future and and it will only affect people who can't do anything about it.

Write to them on mass, and tell them you will hold a grudge come election time.

The facts are that whilst some of you say that having a licence is a privilege. I think we have the right to safe efficient transportation in the year 2013. And we are a car dependent society.

I live in the burbs of Melbourne. A short walk to the train and along ish walk to the tram. But public transportation, the alternative solution to the so called "privilege" of of haveing a licence to a motor vehicle in this modern world, is next to useless. (To be fair, It works fine if i want to get to and from the CBD and its not to late.) Now in the outer suburban fringes or regional and rural Australia how do people get around without a motor vehicle. Just do everything on the Internet. I know people did in the past but we no longer have places to tie our horses.

The road toll is a tragedy, an avoidable tragedy in most cases, but this will do little to help it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #93
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Yet another stupid law, albeit proposed at this stage, I bet any of you a grand they wouldn't introduce on over sixties who are also over represented in the road toll. And why, because over sixties vote. They introduce this on licences from a date in the future and and it will only affect people who can't do anything about it.

Write to them on mass, and tell them you will hold a grudge come election time.

The facts are that whilst some of you say that having a licence is a privilege. I think we have the right to safe efficient transportation in the year 2013. And we are a car dependent society.

I live in the burbs of Melbourne. A short walk to the train and along ish walk to the tram. But public transportation, the alternative solution to the so called "privilege" of of haveing a licence to a motor vehicle in this modern world, is next to useless. (To be fair, It works fine if i want to get to and from the CBD and its not to late.) Now in the outer suburban fringes or regional and rural Australia how do people get around without a motor vehicle. Just do everything on the Internet. I know people did in the past but we no longer have places to tie our horses.

The road toll is a tragedy, an avoidable tragedy in most cases, but this will do little to help it.
I didn't intend to post here because these threads come up all the time and usually end in a slanging match but after reading this thread it is a well balanced debate about the proposed new laws so here is my two bobs worth.

We are a car dependant society which makes the road toll an unavoidable tragedy.
That is why this proposed law is a total farce. It is starting to go down the road of stopping people from driving to lower the road toll.

Why don't they just bite the bullet and ban driving altogether. Its ludicrous to head in this direction with the law but as Forrest Gump said stupid is as stupid does. I wonder how many pea brains it took to come up with this!

Some posts tent to blame the young for this but there is nothing wrong with young people today that is any different to when I was young.

Most of them are fine but there are a few that are right out there with risk taking and they would probably kill or maim themselves some other way if they didn't do it on the roads. Same as when I was a young bloke.

Its about time we were more realisitc about human activity creating risk in many areas in stead of focusing one one section of the community and blaming them.
The fact is that the older generations are the guiding lights and role models for the young so if young people are all stuffed up as some posts on here suggest, it sits at the feet of those who didn't guide them properly and that would have to be the older generations.

We will never get rid of the road toll while ever humans move around so the focus should always be on reduction in a more pro active way. Not punishment.

When you look at the road toll compared to the number of vehicles on the road and the millions of kilometers travelled by the population of the country it is low already!

As pointed out by previous posters there are many other areas in our society that are not performing any where near as well.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #94
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post
It's not just P platers that do this sort of thing....There are plenty of lunatics out there that don't wear P plates that carry on just as bad....
Very true. The stupid drivers need to be targeted not just P platers.
I have called the cops on 1 driver before. They were not a P plater, but they were a complete halfwit.
Most people just mind their own business and would never dare dob on other drivers. But I'd rather cops target the true idiots rather than an entire group of mostly innocent people.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #95
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Very true. The stupid drivers need to be targeted not just P platers.
I have called the cops on 1 driver before. They were not a P plater, but they were a complete halfwit.
Most people just mind their own business and would never dare dob on other drivers. But I'd rather cops target the true idiots rather than an entire group of mostly innocent people.
Bit of a flip in your comments.....Firstly you're saying ban all P platers because they're all nitwits, now you're agreeing that it's not a P plate specific thing....there are nitwits out there that don't wear p plates...

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #96
Foylema
BOOST

I'm 22yo and on a curfew from 12am to 5am its ********, i got caught speeding and lost my license for 1 year that's my punishment so i thought. I had to pass my practical driving test again $700 and when i got my P plates back i was told im under the new laws so i cant drive my turbo car and cant drive after 12am. Had to write a letter why i need to drive my car and had to get a letter from work and prove i have owned the car befor the new law came in and after all that they sent me a letter that said i can only drive to and from work what a load of BS.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #97
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by foylema View Post
I'm 22yo and on a curfew from 12am to 5am its ********, i got caught speeding and lost my license for 1 year that's my punishment so i thought. I had to pass my practical driving test again $700 and when i got my P plates back i was told im under the new laws so i cant drive my turbo car and cant drive after 12am. Had to write a letter why i need to drive my car and had to get a letter from work and prove i have owned the car befor the new law came in and after all that they sent me a letter that said i can only drive to and from work what a load of BS.
Best bet you tell the full story mate....This only sounds like a partial story to support you're grudge against the transport dept.

Here's why I say it's partial.....Nephew is 18....a few weeks prior to obtaining his P plates, he got caught driving on a learners whilst unaccompanied at 8 P.M....He then obtained his P's prior to the driving on a learners charge being dealt with....

His punishment....a fine (not sure of the figure) and a 6 month disqualification....This period has just expired, so he goes onto his learners again for 3 whole days, re-sits his test for his P's and has no restrictions on driving hours...

Case 2...Work mate (mid 20's)....Got busted midrange drink driving (on a full licence)....$900 fine 6 months disqualification.....Got a P licence back, had his R33 Skyline (with a factory turbo) fitted with a blow and go....No qualms about him driving a turbo car on P's and no qualms about what hour he drives his car....He required no letters of support for any of his claims...

All these have been in the last 12 months in S.A.

So as first asked....A full story would be nice, rather than a partial one..

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #98
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

speeding on your p's is not really a good start
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #99
Lardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
speeding on your p's is not really a good start
What does a P-plate have anything to do with speeding?
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #100
Foylema
BOOST

Quote:
Best bet you tell the full story mate....This only sounds like a partial story to support you're grudge against the transport dept.

Here's why I say it's partial.....Nephew is 18....a few weeks prior to obtaining his P plates, he got caught driving on a learners whilst unaccompanied at 8 P.M....He then obtained his P's prior to the driving on a learners charge being dealt with....

His punishment....a fine (not sure of the figure) and a 6 month disqualification....This period has just expired, so he goes onto his learners again for 3 whole days, re-sits his test for his P's and has no restrictions on driving hours...

Case 2...Work mate (mid 20's)....Got busted midrange drink driving (on a full licence)....$900 fine 6 months disqualification.....Got a P licence back, had his R33 Skyline (with a factory turbo) fitted with a blow and go....No qualms about him driving a turbo car on P's and no qualms about what hour he drives his car....He required no letters of support for any of his claims...

All these have been in the last 12 months in S.A.

So as first asked....A full story would be nice, rather than a partial one..
That is the story mate your case 2 mate is most likely over 25 so the restriction dose not apply to him here are the rules currently.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #101
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

so i pull up out the front of kfc to park as i had a trailer on and couldnt get into the carpark, no worries plenty of room on the mainy, so pulled in and parked just past the drive thru exit
theres a p plater waiting to turn out after getting his food and he sees the turbo pull in and park
of course he had to bag it up in his bucket of **** au because there was a bit of water in the spoon drain on the drive thrus exit
never mind it being on the mainy with people and cars everywhere
its idiots like this that create the rules they have to live under on their p's
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #102
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bit of a flip in your comments.....Firstly you're saying ban all P platers because they're all nitwits, now you're agreeing that it's not a P plate specific thing....there are nitwits out there that don't wear p plates...
My previous post was meant to be sarcastic. There are a number of people on here will happily say "ban this and that" when it doesn't affect them, but as soon as someone is suggesting to ban something that does affect them, the same people start jumping up and down saying to ban the trouble makers and not the entire group.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #103
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #104
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
That is the story mate your case 2 mate is most likely over 25 so the restriction dose not apply to him here are the rules currently.
Fair enough the restriction doesn't apply to the drink driving incident, but what is the full story with you copping such a thrashing over your licence restrictions?

Would it be safe to say, you were hooked well over the speed limit (ie 40 + kay over) at night time, in your current car, hence the strict rules to your P licence?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #105
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
What does a P-plate have anything to do with speeding?
About the only thing it has to do with it, is you don't have many points on your P plates, so it doesn't take much to loose a licence through speeding....Memory serves me correct, 10K to 20K over the speed limit in S.A attracts 3 demerit points....Considering there is only 4 demerit points on P's, it only takes a slight slip to loose it quick smart.

Of course, I'm not 100% sure over the demerit point system, but I thought it was a feasible answer....

Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #106
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
My previous post was meant to be sarcastic. There are a number of people on here will happily say "ban this and that" when it doesn't affect them, but as soon as someone is suggesting to ban something that does affect them, the same people start jumping up and down saying to ban the trouble makers and not the entire group.
Sorry for the misread over your original post....and yes, the above statement is true

Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #107
Foylema
BOOST

Quote:
Fair enough the restriction doesn't apply to the drink driving incident, but what is the full story with you copping such a thrashing over your licence restrictions?

Would it be safe to say, you were hooked well over the speed limit (ie 40 + kay over) at night time, in your current car, hence the strict rules to your P licence?
I got caught speeding by a copper on a bike with a radar gun at 2pm and a sunny afternoon, doing 111km in a 70km zone so 41km over yes i made a mistake. I'm not perfect like some people think they are. That was 4 points gone which you only get 4 point on your P plates anyways.

Serious disqualification offences

You’ll get a curfew condition for 12 months with your next licence. No driving from 12:00 am to 5:00 am without a Qualified Supervising Driver seated beside you and it will also mean no other passengers can travel with you.

Serious disqualification offences include:

criminal driving offences e.g. causing death by dangerous driving
an offence that incurs four or more demerit points
a second speeding offence that incurs three or more demerit points
a red light offence and a speeding offence from the same incident
any offence committed by a person previously disqualified from driving

High-powered vehicle restrictions apply:

if you hold a provisional licence and are under the age of 25
if you obtained your P1 on or after 4 September 2010
if you were disqualified and returned to driving on a P1 licence on or after 4 September 2010.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #108
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That was 4 points gone which you only get 4 point on your P plates anyways.
40 over and only losing 4 points? Wow.

In NSW P1 only get 4 points, but the fine for 1-10KM/h over is 4 points as well. SO no second chances here on your P's, even if you are doing a few over.
For full licence drivers we get 12 or 13 points. the fine for 1-10km/h over is only 1 point

I don't understand why P platers have less points than everyone else, but lose more for each offense they commit. It should be one or the other, not both.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #109
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
I got caught speeding by a copper on a bike with a radar gun at 2pm and a sunny afternoon, doing 111km in a 70km zone so 41km over yes i made a mistake. I'm not perfect like some people think they are. That was 4 points gone which you only get 4 point on your P plates anyways.

I'm not judging you nor am I implying I'm perfect....Just simply asked for the full story as to why such harsh restrictions placed on you to begin with, not half a story which you first provided....

Now the full story is out in the open, we can understand the harshness of the penality.......

Old 05-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #110
Mattrx2
Starter Motor

Ban p platers from driving commodores, 90% of p platers driving like drongos seem to be in vl to vt commos.
Mattrx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #111
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrx2 View Post
Ban p platers from driving commodores, 90% of p platers driving like drongos seem to be in vl to vt commos.
I see plenty of drongos driving all sorts of cars....So best not be brand nor licence specific with that comment....

Old 05-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #112
Mattrx2
Starter Motor

Quote:
I see plenty of drongos driving all sorts of cars....So best not be brand nor licence specific with that comment....
Im only stating what i have personally observed, and yes drongos are everywhere driving every type of car imaginable.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 06-04-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Mattrx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: