Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
BlakesXR6

Default Different brand tires on the same axle

I know it's not okay to put different brand tires on the same axle, but I've bought el xr6 mags, same wheels and size tires all round, but the back wheels have 2 different brands, so I've sort of got three brands on the car. Noob question, will this blow the diff or anything? And will it pass nsw rego inspection?

BlakesXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Re: Different brand tires on the same axle

I've never had an issue, so long as they're worn near evenly and are the same size...

It's the fronts you should have two matching brands on.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is not recommended as the may have different characteristics resulting in braking problems

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
BlakesXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRGhia View Post
I've never had an issue, so long as they're worn near evenly and are the same size...

It's the fronts you should have two matching brands on.
Tires are close to new, and the fronts match, just the rears, took it around the block and it seems to handle fine
Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it will handle fine as long as they are the same size, though different manufacturers sizes are all slightly different. It's when you need them to work the same that you could get into trouble, ie wet hard braking and one might as mentioned have better or worse characteristics causing unpredictability.
However on the rear being same size really shouldnt be much of a problem. I have seen cars with 4 different brands and they didnt spontaneously explode so must be safe enough...
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
BlakesXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
it will handle fine as long as they are the same size, though different manufacturers sizes are all slightly different. It's when you need them to work the same that you could get into trouble, ie wet hard braking and one might as mentioned have better or worse characteristics causing unpredictability.
However on the rear being same size really shouldnt be much of a problem. I have seen cars with 4 different brands and they didnt spontaneously explode so must be safe enough...
JP
Yeah tires are the same sizes, thanks for the feedback
Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

Umm, different brands will use different compounds and tread patterns. As a result, you could experience erratic traction in the wet as one tyre may be grippier than the other.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Umm, different brands will use different compounds and tread patterns. As a result, you could experience erratic traction in the wet as one tyre may be grippier than the other.
Just like driving with an open centre diff.............................
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Doing skids like a p plater!
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate not only will they blow your diff, you will get herpes, they will take all the money from your bank account, and make you the target of CIA mind control.
Make sure you only park in vacant areas, as they will also infect any cars you park next to.
7 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once had slightly different sizes (one was a spare) on the back end of my ED, and the LSD didnt like it at all. Made a massive racket when slowing to a stop.
One was 205/65/15 and the other was 215/60/15. (1.3% difference)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
BlakesXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Mate not only will they blow your diff, you will get herpes, they will take all the money from your bank account, and make you the target of CIA mind control.
Make sure you only park in vacant areas, as they will also infect any cars you park next to.
No need to be smartarse, tried researching it and that's what someone said on another forum,. Sorry I'm not as mechanically minded as you are.....
Old 09-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Id's say fit them for now and ask your local inspection centre for advice well before before your annual inspection.

If they say no to different brands, then you have time to rectify before you have an official problem to fix..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say, do some massive burnouts, and get some newies. They'll catch you out when you least expect it if you keep them.....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's a valid question.

Tyres labelled as the same size can actually be a different measured size.
I have no experience measuring car tyres, but back when I owned 4x4's, tyres labelled as 33" diameter can measure anywhere from 31"-35" diameter depending on brand.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have em on the rear like you have.

You want the better tyres at the front with braking.
Rears, just watch it in the wet, especially round corners as mightnt be as predictible compared to having same branded rears.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I think it's a valid question.

Tyres labelled as the same size can actually be a different measured size.
I have no experience measuring car tyres, but back when I owned 4x4's, tyres labelled as 33" diameter can measure anywhere from 31"-35" diameter depending on brand.
Mark a point on the bottom of the tyre and ground, then roll car/tyre one full revolution. That will give you the circumference.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesXR6 View Post
No need to be smartarse, tried researching it and that's what someone said on another forum,. Sorry I'm not as mechanically minded as you are.....
Have a Bex and a good lie down bro.
I wasn't having a go at you, only at those who perpetuate these old wives tales.
You are required to run the same SIZE tyres, that’s it. Even if the two brands have radically different grip factors, that's no different to driving on a road that is damp or dirty. That's one of the advantages of ABS.
As for them potentially being a marginally different size, ROFL. What do these people expect you to do if you have to buy a new tyre, must you always buy TWO if you get a puncture. Even if the difference in diameter was significant, it is all handled in the normal operation of the diff.
People seem to misunderstand two things about diffs. Firstly, unless you are driving in a PERFECTLY straight line, on a perfectly flat road, in a perfectly balanced car, your rear wheels can be turning at slightly different speeds. Secondly they are mechanical devices and that is how they are designed to operate.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Wouldn't worry....Can't be knocked back for a roadworthy either...Law states, tyres must be of the same construction and size all round (there are exceptions with sizing, but pointless going there).....Nothing about brands....

As for 4X4's....Totally different kettle of fish as far as tyres are concerned....So pointless discussing it, unless these XR6 wheels are going on a 4X4....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Mark a point on the bottom of the tyre and ground, then roll car/tyre one full revolution. That will give you the circumference.
On the right track......but its much more accurate to just jack up the rear, inflate to the same pressure and run a tape measure around the outside of the tyre.....
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post