Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
satria
FOXWHO

Default Rant about spotlights

I just wanted to have a little rant about an increasing trend i've noticed recently around town, lately i've been really annoyed by the amount of people driving around using their spotlights. Some don't bug me but alot of them are actually pretty blinding for the oncoming traffic, to the point where I'd class it as a hazard.

Around a year ago it would usually be the cool people in their SS utes driving around with them on but now it seems to be most cars and SUV's, hell, even a van last night was cruising with them on. I ask why? Are people really feeling the need for extra lighting on our roads?

The thing that gets me is they are predominantly new cars doing this, I'm talking cars made from 2008+ so I assume these cars would have pretty good standard headlights in the first place, so other than wanting to be a ****head why do they turn their spotties on?

Have they become legal to use?

I was trying to get a ratio of cars in my area that were driving with spotlights on and i would put a ratio of around 6-7 out of 10 cars driving with spotlights. Let me be clear I'm not talking about DRL's, I'm talking about big round spotlights.

In my opinion if it is still illegal to have spotlights turned on police need to put a campaign out against people using them as they are totally unneccessary and hazardous. It will be easy pickings for them and heck, they'll even generate a fair bit of revenue from it.

Am i just getting old or do i make a fair point?

Cheers

Old 16-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rant about spotlights

They aren't spotlights - they are front fog lights and yes, they are illegal unless they are being used in inclement weather.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must be a Mexican thing
Old 16-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Xr693

I get more annoyed with the standard headlights of those new BMW X5 things, blinding HIDs that sit right in my rear view and side mirror! And they're standard ffs.
Old 16-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr693 View Post
I get more annoyed with the standard headlights of those new BMW X5 things, blinding HIDs that sit right in my rear view and side mirror! And they're standard ffs.
Same with Hiluxes etc.
Being in a lowered car, you get alot of vehicles shining into the cabin. Annoying at times

I have seen cop cars, RTA vehicles and those Fire Services/Ambulance service SUV vehicles with them on.

So yeh, still illegal to use, but man who knows
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 16-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

i work with a guy who uses them all the time. been fined for using them several times...''i just like having my foggies on'' he says
i don't get it...annoys me too

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Old 16-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
kate648

Ok I'll admit it, I'm one of those ****heads! I mainly leave them on as I drive at dusk a lot, and my parkers are so dim they are almost un-noticeable.
As for being fined, never happened to me. Coppers didn't even mention it when I got RBT'd last night.

Last edited by AU1XLS; 16-05-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 16-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
kate648

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB View Post
They aren't spotlights - they are front fog lights and yes, they are illegal unless they are being used in inclement weather.
Yeh I'm assuming he means foggies. I'd probably cause a pile up if I drove around with my spotties on :/
Old 16-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
satria
FOXWHO

Yeah I'm talking about fog lights just to make things clear.
Old 16-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
FLUTTA

They definitely are still illegal as I got threatened with a fine and told to turn them off by a copper doing RBT's.
Old 16-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
fangq

I tend to quickly flip my fog lights on and off when approached by a Close Encounters vehicle.
Old 16-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
calmeister
sideways forever

The Minister for War & Finance has an 07 Escape. The foglights are more efficient than the **** poor headlights (high beam is a joke) on that thing!
Tend not to drive around with 'em on though.

BA MkII XR6 Shockwave
BF MkII XR6 manual 6sp Vixen
In the garage
79' Rx7s1

Last edited by AU1XLS; 16-05-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 16-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #13
BennyH

How do fog lights 'blind' you when they are essentially pointed to the ground?

2010 XR6 Ute Nitro Blue Bluepower XCAL3 tune,
Di Filippo headers + high flow cat, X Force stainless cat back,20% Powerbond underdrive,
Growler CAI, Herrod lowered suspension package,
19'' Dark Argents w/ 36mm rear spacers, DBA T2 slotted rotors, Pursuit Side Skirts, EGR Under Spoiler
6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Without saying anything to get this thread closed... I agree and the bloke that had a total of six lights shining in my mirror tonight, knows that I was not happy as well! Most are not pointed to the ground, they are just at ground level and are a spread beam. Most are also conventional 55w globes, which when added to your headlights equal hundreds of watts of glare...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
Old 16-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I doubt we will see this thread for much longer ... this has been discussed many a time previously and the subject is always the same along with the responses.

The law is in place for them ... you either chose to obey or ignore it.

Don't let it get to you .... i do admit there are bright ones out there ... but you look directly at them and "let" them blind you. If i notice bright ones .... I look toward the left line in my lane and not let it phase me.

Take a deep breath and continue on an ignore it ... makes for a much more relaxed drive.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Had some goob coming towards me the other night with a home made HID conversion.
About 100 meters out he got 400 watts back at him.

And WTF is it with people who drive around with only parkers on, can't they see other cars on the road and realise low beam allows you to be seen much sooner (talking day time here)
Old 16-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worse when people drive ONLY with foglights on when it's pitch black outside.
You can only see 3 foot in front of you with them only on.

2 years ago they were popular here, at night half of all cars with foglights would use them. Now it's much more rare. More like 1 in 10 will have them on.

But foglight Thursday seams to be popular around here still.

My drum teacher used to always use his foglights on his Commodore at night. I once made a reference that they were only meant to be used in bad weather conditions his response was "Night time is bad weather for me"
Old 16-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate648 View Post
Ok I'll admit it, I'm one of those ****heads! I mainly leave them on as I drive at dusk a lot, and my parkers are so dim they are almost un-noticeable.
As for being fined, never happened to me. Coppers didn't even mention it when I got RBT'd last night.
So are the low beam headlights dim too?

Its not illegal to use low beam headlights by day.

I don't see the point of wayne kerrs having parkers and fog lights on. To me it highlight the driver of that vehicle is a tool.

It was here on AFF that I saw the jump in fines for this offence in QLD

I did it when younger (so yes I am admitting I was a tool back then. I got warned, and never did it again) as I had blue covers on the parkers, so the headlights looked blue, and at dusk it looked nice. The threat of the total of about $900 in incorrect use of lighting, plus vehicle defects was enough for me. It was NSW at the time. It had no visual effect during daylight.

Now I pretty much leave the headlights on, as If I don't too many people never see my car and pull out in front.
Old 16-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

closed......
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread