Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rear ended by Truck on Westgate = Dead V8 Ef Wagon

Hi guys,

Well, after a few years of happy daily work, my V8 Ef wagon is dead.
I was happily making my way to work the other week along the Westgate, past Montague st towards the tunnel, when all the traffic (and me too!!) came to an stop.
Now when I say all the traffic, I mean all the traffic except for the bloke in the semi behind me.
I saw him coming and braced myself off the pedal and ... Its off to the hospital in an ambo I go.

I must say that it was a bloody good impact and I was very lucky as it could've been alot worse.
I was released from hospital after 3 days with whiplash and a very stiff and sore lower back. I am still on TAC compo but hoping to get back to light duties soon.

As you can see, most of the damage is at the rear and I as I had my feet hard on the brakes and I had also stopped a good 6 feet short of the van infront, the damage to the front of the wagon is confined to a towball thru the bar and into the trans cooler.
The doors still open and close but require a fair bit of effort to do so.
All this contributed to it being declared a write-off by the assessor.
Happily, the trucks insurance has admitted fault and I am expecting a cheque in the mail this week. I retained ownership of the wagon because they were very generous and offered me $75 for it!!! I declined their offer and had it towed home.

Now the big question is... What to get for a new daily??
Do I get another straight/clean EF wagon and donate my running gear or do I go for a BA wagon and start researching turbo conversions.... Hmmmm

Thanks for reading and stay safe out there

Cuz

Old 08-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Rear ended by Truck on Westgate = Dead V8 Ef Wagon

Could have been a lot worse, glad you're ok.

My vote? Part it out and start again with something different. A BA Turbo wagon would be fun, and there's one being built in the project cars section you could get ideas from.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

If you had agreed value insurance and have a reasonable payout then spend up on the BA, If not EF's are fairly cheap, stick with what you know.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After a bit of haggling over the towing/storage fees, I accepted a price of just under 5k, which I am happy with, especially as I also get to keep the wreck.
Looking at BA wagons ATM and if I choose that route, I will part out the wagon or sell it as a V8 conversion to fund the boost...
Old 08-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car is only a piece of metal, you survived that's the main thing, sad a v8 wagon heading for the grave yard, bad luck mate, i had a loaded bedford van give me a good wop up the kyber many years ago, hit hard enough to crease the roof, the xr in my avatar, i concur .......rear enders hurt, good luck shopping for a new limo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

The wagon looks like it came off well from being rear ended by a semi (ford tough). So many new choices. How about an au fairmont wags with a v8?
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Yep part her out buy another driver, I reckon $1000 as it is to someone doing a conversion... or keep it for fun
Old 08-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are after boost try to pick up a write off XR6 turbo and use the drivetrain in your wagon. The factory setup is proven for performance and reliability

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
rdmr

Lucky indeed. Your health is paramount.
My vote is for an E series Fairmont wagon. Then you have a good parts source.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Cuyper

I drove past an XR8 its that had been rear ended by a truck, turned around and pushed into the guard rail on the westgate a few weeks ago. Surprising how many accidents can happen in an 80 zone with a zillion lanes. Someone's not paying attention.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyper View Post
I drove past an XR8 its that had been rear ended by a truck, turned around and pushed into the guard rail on the westgate a few weeks ago. Surprising how many accidents can happen in an 80 zone with a zillion lanes. Someone's not paying attention.
Thats the thing about my accident. There had been an earlier incident in the tunnel so traffic was already backed up and slow.
I was in the left lane and we went from a complete stop just past montague st, up to a speed of no more than 70kms, then to an abrupt stop again about 400m later. I was going up hill on the overpass by this stage.
Transit van infront of me and 2x tipper trucks in front of that.
The truck that hit me should have had a clear view for a good 500-600m uphill, while he was accelerating.
Must've been texting or something....
Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of truck drivers have heaps of no-dose tablets or caffeine in there system or those energy drinks. I have a mate who is an interstate truckie and told me the cops drug test a lot these days, so a lot of the blokes get high on natural stuff but still makes them buzz and affects there attention span as you can't sit still on that stuff there doing other things then concentrating
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
alot of truck drivers have heaps of no-dose tablets or caffeine in there system or those energy drinks. I have a mate who is an interstate truckie and told me the cops drug test a lot these days, so a lot of the blokes get high on natural stuff but still makes them buzz and affects there attention span as you can't sit still on that stuff there doing other things then concentrating
You having a laugh mate? Truck drivers are more regulated than light vehicle drivers. Who can work a 14 hr shift at work then legally drive for the next week without sleep. I would rather take my chances with truck driver than a tired overworked car driver. Get high to drive. Good one for your concentration.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
You having a laugh mate? Truck drivers are more regulated than light vehicle drivers. Who can work a 14 hr shift at work then legally drive for the next week without sleep. I would rather take my chances with truck driver than a tired overworked car driver. Get high to drive. Good one for your concentration.
I agree. I've known a lot of drivers over the years and all were top blokes who did the right things both on and off the roads. Knowing them and listening to their gripes about car drivers, opened my eyes to what they go thru everytime they get behind the wheel. That made me respect trucks more on the roads and I always give them plenty of room and was always aware of their stopping distances.
The driver that hit me was devastated. Told me to stay put in the wagon and called the cops/ambos straight away.
I've spoken to him since and told him not to worry and thanked him for his help that morning.
He didn't mean to hit me, I know that. He was bretho'd, drug tested on the spot and was clean.
He said that he was on everything but his truck just wouldn't pull up!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
monte.b

Sorry to hear about you accident ,just lucky you were in a tough old ford wagon. A few years ago i had the same problem but i got hit by a lovely girl on a merc sport car ,i stopped at the lights ,she didnt even brake ,bent the old ef wagon pretty bad ,but they fixed it ,the funny part was the girls mother turned up and i was talking to her ,she said yer we bought the merc togeather so i own half of it ,i said **** hope you own the rear half cause the front half aint real flash ,sorry mate i couldnt help myself ,hope it bought a smile to your dile
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #16
Cuyper

Trucks take a very long time to stop, the thing is they shouldn't be anywhere near the back of another vehicle, ever. Especially in a multi lane.
Cuyper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

looks like a fair whack for sure, the tow bar appears to be bent down?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #18
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that wins the prize for the stupid uninformed post of the week, heavy vehicle drivers are ( an have been for sometime) heavily regulated. the days of cowboys with more than one logbook doing 18 hours straight on drugs are long gone. management are open to prosecution for setting unrealistic time demands under the chain of responsibility legislation . uninformed ignorant car drivers are often the grater danger on our roads cutting heavy vehicles off , racing ahead and cutting in the braking, and screaming up the inside of a turning vehicle ( I've lost count of the number of morons I have missed by inches doing this) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
that wins the prize for the stupid uninformed post of the week, heavy vehicle drivers are ( an have been for sometime) heavily regulated. the days of cowboys with more than one logbook doing 18 hours straight on drugs are long gone. management are open to prosecution for setting unrealistic time demands under the chain of responsibility legislation . uninformed ignorant car drivers are often the grater danger on our roads cutting heavy vehicles off , racing ahead and cutting in the braking, and screaming up the inside of a turning vehicle ( I've lost count of the number of morons I have missed by inches doing this) .
yes but there are two sides to every story - i'm very courteous and forward-thinking around trucks but i have lost count of the amount of moronic batcrap crazy 24 wheelers i've had doing inane things behind, beside, and in front of me. Even had a 24 wheeler try to brake check me one day - amazingly it only ever happens when i'm in the daily matchbox car. For the most part they're ok, but there are many, many morons with HC licences.

anyway that's for the truck thread.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #20
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
looks like a fair whack for sure, the tow bar appears to be bent down?
Yep, right you are Professor!
Its hard to tell from the crappy pics but its got a bend in it from about the rear doors back. Even tho the doors all still open and close, they ain't happy about it. Have to sit on the drivers to get it closed.

Still trawling the net for a new wagon. Too many options open at the moment.
Everything from another cheap EF, for a swap over of my running gear to an ex-taxi BA that I can boost!!!
Hmmm... decisions decisions....
Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

if you go boost you'll love the feeling but you'll miss the noise - depends what's more important to you, brute power or power and ambience
Old 12-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

The AU has a better starting point in regards to the Windsor. It has the XR heads and intake manifold etc.. bigger MAF from memory - here's a wagon but it's got high-ish km (still less than mine though haha)

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...13752575/?Cr=0
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Billydean
White Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
the days of cowboys with more than one logbook doing 18 hours straight on drugs are long gone. .
That wins the prize for the most naive post of the week!

My son-in-law pulls drivers for those type of offences every week.
Billydean is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
if you go boost you'll love the feeling but you'll miss the noise - depends what's more important to you, brute power or power and ambience
Well, if you put it like that, the choice is easy!
Brute power wins hands down for me!!! (Check my signature!!)
Nothing can replace that V8 sound.
Old 15-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #25
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

buy a ford ranger, powerful enough for the road, and even better off road :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post