Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Default Re: 2013 Mini Ray - New Daily

The Mini looks great Stagg!
Anyone questioning the manhood of a Mini driver has probably never driven one, the fun factor and handling are out of this world with some tinkering, both old and new generations.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #32
ohzone
Dent Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Ancap 5 safety level.... Partner got rear ended by a Nissan soft roader thingo week before last in our Cooper S, Cooper drove away with a few dings in the bumper, Nissan left by side of road with front crumpled in and radiator peeing water everywhere... Think BMW know a little about safety.
We have 2 BMW's in our family, X5 and 320i.
The crumple zone on the front of the Nissan would have absorbed most of the energy of the impact as it is expected to do and on the Mini the boot is part of the passenger cell and would have little crumple zone that is why the high visual damage on the Nissan.
You would expect that underneath the skin of the Mini's bumper the crush devices will be damaged and need replacing so if it ever happens again they can do their job just as well
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
chloelola
Starter Motor

Thanks so much for your advice! This would be predominantly my car, as my partner is a tradie and already has his work ute, although we would take it to quick beach trips or going grocery shopping, etc. I'm in my very early twenties and not too car savvy, so I just want something good looking that has everything I need and that's reliable too Definitely looking for a "daily" car (I have a Suzuki Swift at the moment).

What dealer did you buy yours from if I can ask? We are looking at Coastline and Bruce Lynton and they seem to be a lot more willing to negotiate than Brisbane dealers (who are not very friendly at ALL!).

Thanks!
Chloelola x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg View Post
In terms of negotiation skills I just convinced the two dealers before I put any money down, that I was a genuine buyer (which I was and you guys would be as well); just tell them the car you want, what date you want it by, asking them 'hinting questions, like "How soon can we have our mini delivered?" or ""When do we get to drive our new mini home?", because those sorts of questions show the salesperson that you are a genuine customer instead of a tyre kicker.

Comparing the mini to my AU is very different though, I mean the mini is a daily car; meaning it has all of the on board little features like handsfree bluetooth, automatic adaptive headlights, automatic wipers and all that... but it's a DAILY car, it has nimble handling but there is very little power, hence I want to look at getting it a flash tune, because the mini ray has the same motor as the mini cooper but is tuned down over 20kW.

Whereas the AU weekend drive is a raw, powerful, low, fire breathing track car compared to the mini :P getting the mini ray as a daily is ok if you're ok driving something not as exciting as a V8 every day! If I was after an exciting mini I would have gone for the John Cooper Works mini
chloelola is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The little bmw mini looks like a fun car,congrats Stagg, the original mini was in the variant models, did you look into servicing costs ? and if you did, what did you think of them?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
The Mini looks great Stagg!
Anyone questioning the manhood of a Mini driver has probably never driven one, the fun factor and handling are out of this world with some tinkering, both old and new generations.

Well said Grippy, they are pretty much road legal go karts and very fun to drive. People who diss it have no idea

Heres a pic of my weekend ride

Last edited by Hawkeye84; 23-01-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #36
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
The little bmw mini looks like a fun car,congrats Stagg, the original mini was in the variant models, did you look into servicing costs ? and if you did, what did you think of them?
I did, BMW offers a capped priced servicing package of $850 for five years which I had purchased in addition to the cost of the car. It also works on condition based servicing so depending on how you drive the car, it will give you a reminder on the dash dictated by your style of driving i.e. leadfooting will mean you gotta service sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelola
Thanks so much for your advice! This would be predominantly my car, as my partner is a tradie and already has his work ute, although we would take it to quick beach trips or going grocery shopping, etc. I'm in my very early twenties and not too car savvy, so I just want something good looking that has everything I need and that's reliable too Definitely looking for a "daily" car (I have a Suzuki Swift at the moment).

What dealer did you buy yours from if I can ask? We are looking at Coastline and Bruce Lynton and they seem to be a lot more willing to negotiate than Brisbane dealers (who are not very friendly at ALL!).

Thanks!
Chloelola x
That was who I negotiated through! Coastline mini up on the sunshine coast, and Bruce Lynton in Southport. I got written quotes from both dealers though. A lot of the time if a dealer verbally quotes you a cheaper price, they can hide costs (like ORC) after you paid a deposit, and also the competing dealer can undermine their quotes by stating this, getting everything in writing is real important.

But I stand by everything I said about the power of the mini ray, I really want to get the mini cooper flash tune! the car gets me around but it's annoying knowing the motor can get pushed harder but not when it's tuned like it is from factory