Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Does anyone else feel insulted by the new NSW mobile speed camera ad?

In the last couple of days a new mobile speed camera ad has appeared on TV, put out by NSW Govco. It shows and lists the various people affected by some tragic car accident from the EMT, the policeman, the coroner, the grieving widow etc. and right at the end as the camera pans past a tree a Terry camera car comes into view with the tag line something like - " This is the mobile camera car that helped prevent the tragic accident" (I'm paraphrasing). I find this ad totally insulting to my intelligence. As far as I'm concerned no camera car has ever prevented an accident beyond taking money out of someone's pocket.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: Does anyone else feel insulted by the new NSW mobile speed camera ad?

Sounds like every 1 of the 50 adds constantly repeated on Vic TV.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Does anyone else feel insulted by the new NSW mobile speed camera ad?

In fact the truth is probably the reverse, the mere fact there is no visual detterent will probably add to the road toll, agreed a ******** add and trying to justify a hidden money maker.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it makes you feel better heres one crash a speed camera didn't prevent

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226481481311
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

For us "out of premier staters" anyone got a link to the ad in question?

Us QLD folk are getting flooded with an $800,000 campaign about what they're doing with the bikies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=29dfLal7vwk

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep - but with the amount of idiots that get their "facts" from a commercial TV advertisement will probably ensure its success.

how about they show the other 93% of accident victims which result from causes other than speeding -
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...because getting a fine in the mail two weeks later will retroactively slow down a speeding motorist two weeks in the past...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
...because getting a fine in the mail two weeks later will retroactively slow down a speeding motorist two weeks in the past...
In NSW you know you've been done, they put a sign telling you that you have had your speed checked just after the camera so if you've been hot footing it you just wait for the bad news to arrive.

haven't seen the ad yet so can't comment positive or negative

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

It's a NSW ad but it's turned up on Southern Cross and 7 mate/2. I don't know how to go about getting it up online and I can't find it on Youtube but i'll keep looking. It's part of the "Don't Rush" campagn.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post

why is there a crime stopper number for info at the bottom?

so its a crime to crash into a marked camera car now
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
In NSW you know you've been done, they put a sign telling you that you have had your speed checked just after the camera so if you've been hot footing it you just wait for the bad news to arrive.

haven't seen the ad yet so can't comment positive or negative
Never seen one of them. Must be a new city thing is it?
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no it is always after a camera car in NSW it is a legal requirement . it is not a huge sign just a portable sign they put up. I've never seen a camera car here in the Hunter without one and if you do get booked by a car without the sign up you can appeal it and you will get off ( providing you can prove it)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

From the NSW government, in the 2013 annual NSW speed camera performance review.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....appendices.pdf

The intended purpose of mobile speed cameras is to produce a sustained change in driver behaviour by creating a perception that speeding can be enforced anywhere at any time, thereby reducing speeding not only at identified enforcement locations but also across the road network, thus creating a general deterrence effect (Cameron & Delaney, 2006). This is because drivers are less able to predict where the enforcement will occur. The less predictable the enforcement, the more speed limit compliance can be achieved.

When the cameras were first introduced, they defended the positioning of the signs (being after the car and not before it) by stating that, essentially, you will only learn your lesson after you've realised you've been done for speeding. So you need to be speeding for the cameras to have their intended effect. You could argue that it's a shame the cameras aren't actually designed to slow people down (I haven't seen the ad, but from what I've read here it seems like this is what it's trying to imply, which is rubbish) or you could see it as a larger exercise in targeting people for speeding in general. As far as I know, they aren't specifically putting the cameras in black spots, rather entire stretches of road- so the cameras aren't much different from a highway patrol car hiding behind the bushes if that is the case.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the locations are all published and not where ever they feel like it here is the list there are the fixed cameras first then the mobile http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety..._locations.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
From the NSW government, in the 2013 annual NSW speed camera performance review.

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....appendices.pdf

The intended purpose of mobile speed cameras is to produce a sustained change in driver behaviour by creating a perception that speeding can be enforced anywhere at any time, thereby reducing speeding not only at identified enforcement locations but also across the road network, thus creating a general deterrence effect (Cameron & Delaney, 2006). This is because drivers are less able to predict where the enforcement will occur. The less predictable the enforcement, the more speed limit compliance can be achieved.

When the cameras were first introduced, they defended the positioning of the signs (being after the car and not before it) by stating that, essentially, you will only learn your lesson after you've realised you've been done for speeding. So you need to be speeding for the cameras to have their intended effect. You could argue that it's a shame the cameras aren't actually designed to slow people down (I haven't seen the ad, but from what I've read here it seems like this is what it's trying to imply, which is rubbish) or you could see it as a larger exercise in targeting people for speeding in general. As far as I know, they aren't specifically putting the cameras in black spots, rather entire stretches of road- so the cameras aren't much different from a highway patrol car hiding behind the bushes if that is the case.

Rides:

Old 21-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post

Mmmmm officer RUSHED to hospital ... later in the article .... Officer taken to hospital with minor injuries. Jurnos

Sorry ... We don't rush patients to hospital with minor injuries.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
the locations are all published and not where ever they feel like it here is the list there are the fixed cameras first then the mobile http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety..._locations.pdf
That was what I was referring to- the locations listed for the mobile cameras are entire stretches of road or highway in a given suburb, as opposed to specific black spot locations which I believe are supposed to be the reason that fixed cameras are erected.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Spurious

Again with the speed camera thread.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
why is there a crime stopper number for info at the bottom?

so its a crime to crash into a marked camera car now
I couldn't work that one out either.

so long as you don't drive off afterwards you'll be fine
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

picture of a driver geting caught for 3 km over in vic yesterday

Old 22-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or a better one:

2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
or a better one:

"Can I see your license, proof of insurance & credit rating please sir".
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Thought I'd dig this thread back up rather than start a new one.

It's just in the news this morning, that the NSW Government is looking at removing a fixed speed camera in a Newcastle suburb, after accidents have increased by 18% since the camera was installed.

Obviously it hasn't stopped or reduced accidents, as per the ad in the OP would have you believe, & obviously speed isn't a factor in the majority (or any) accidents in this area.

I don't know the details of the revenue raised from this camera, but even if it's high, it hasn't reduced speeding & accidents.

Probably most of them don't reduce anything, but all increase revenue.

Funnily enough the local member of parliament (Labor opposition), want's to keep it.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post