Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-01-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
cardinal_eb
little fish

Default Turbo or SC

In the not so distant, but no too near future i am interested in forcing a bit more air into my 4 lita. I am open to either option.

at the moment from what i have read and seen supercharging seems to be the cheaper option (plz correct me if im wrong) and i have not been able to find much on turbo kits for falcons.

any info on the pros cons of either would be greatly appretiated..

and how hard are 4 litres to rebuild, i think my motors a little long in tooth to be supercharging / turbocharging at the mo....

EBII Gli - Cardinal Red - 2.5" Lukey Exhaust - 2in Lowered King Springs & Monroe Susp. - 15" EA/B/D fairmont mags - Pioneer 200w Head Unit - Pioneer 200w 5in Splits - Pioneer 300w 6x9s run by 200w 2-channel - 2 x 1000w Pioneer 306c Subs run buy 800w pioneer mono bloc amp.

:
cardinal_eb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
and how hard are 4 litres to rebuild, i think my motors a little long in tooth to be supercharging / turbocharging at the mo....
Some of the guys believe it's a cheaper option to just buy a second hand low km engine rather than rebuild.

Quote:
at the moment from what i have read and seen supercharging seems to be the cheaper option (plz correct me if im wrong) and i have not been able to find much on turbo kits for falcons.
Try checking out this part of the forum http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=114

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I want to supercharge mine.

Lower boost levels but instant power at lower rpms.

I could also install a SC myself, so its gettin the thumbs up.

Try CAPA for the SC kits.
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

It is not correct to say superchargers give instant power. My friend had a CAPA Powerdyne and found boost increased proportional to rpm. He ended up giving it a 3.7 diff and what not (this is on a VS, too). The more expensive supercharger types can, however, give high boost from low revs.

In my opinion, the advantage of a supercharger is simple installation, whereas the advantage of a turbo is easy upgradability. However, be it supercharger, turbo or twin turbo, it is the specific set-up that counts. Anything can be done well or poorly.

Also, I believe that an AU engine with significant head work is fine for all but the most extreme turbo set-ups. I recall ea ba turbo saying he still has his stock EF bottom end after 10 second passes.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
cardinal_eb
little fish

looks like im hunting for el motors then....

also i just had my head recond, would it be detrimental to performance using my current head?
EBII Gli - Cardinal Red - 2.5" Lukey Exhaust - 2in Lowered King Springs & Monroe Susp. - 15" EA/B/D fairmont mags - Pioneer 200w Head Unit - Pioneer 200w 5in Splits - Pioneer 300w 6x9s run by 200w 2-channel - 2 x 1000w Pioneer 306c Subs run buy 800w pioneer mono bloc amp.

:
Old 15-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
EDXR6T

nu work ur origanle block

spend the money on somthing u no wut's bin done to it
dont buy second's even if thay r low c donks

spend the money on getting it to turb specs low
plus ther are plenty of turbo kits out ther for falcon 6's
JMM have a number of kits have a look the threads at the top of the page
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
It is not correct to say superchargers give instant power. My friend had a CAPA Powerdyne and found boost increased proportional to rpm. He ended up giving it a 3.7 diff and what not (this is on a VS, too). The more expensive supercharger types can, however, give high boost from low revs.

In my opinion, the advantage of a supercharger is simple installation, whereas the advantage of a turbo is easy upgradability. However, be it supercharger, turbo or twin turbo, it is the specific set-up that counts. Anything can be done well or poorly.

Also, I believe that an AU engine with significant head work is fine for all but the most extreme turbo set-ups. I recall ea ba turbo saying he still has his stock EF bottom end after 10 second passes.
Positive displacement superchargers give instant lowdown boost, but you're right about the centrifugal blowers ;)

Mmmmm side-mount PD blower on the 4.0... :
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I dlove to turbo mine i have never really been a big fan of a supercharger!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
justa6
justa6

On the straight 6 i think it's easy to say that turbo's work better. (except that positive displacment blown el i've seen) . with a centrifugal blower the big winner is no under bonnet heat, but will only reach full boost at higher rpm.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 10:01 PM   #10
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Spot on mate!!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #11
tommo74
zx TT

certainly cheaper on the sixes to supercharge(powerdyne)us guys with v8's are looking at around 10 grand(vortech)
tommo74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #12
tommo74
zx TT

I dont even thrash my car,just blowing money on a s/c to say ive got one.it is a project after all (although I doubt itll ever be a showcar now after the crap job the bodykit guy done on my sideskirts,sniff)
Luciano Pavarotti can hit high 'c" ...now he hardly ever does it but its nice to know he can when he wants to!
think all the power youve got under your hood that you dont use....its just nice to know its there...in case...
tommo74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
cardinal_eb
little fish

im under the impression capa kits are ADR approved, thats my biggest concern because of the BS cost of getting engineers certs for the turbo kits

: