Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #151
DaveDaGeek

Default Re: technology packs.......who needs em??

It cannot be too far away until the car manufacturers approach Google about putting search tech into cars, for a slice of the advertising revenue of course.

Say for example that it's close to lunch time, your satnav will start suggesting a restaurant in the local area, of course that restaurant would have paid Google to be bumped up the search rankings, so they get their money's worth.

Being integrated with the inbuilt satnav would also allow them to build up a history of where you drive, for further targeted marketing initiatives in the future.
DaveDaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #152
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

DavedaGeek,

Its already some what available in america.

I know my 300c in US spec, can search for all the closest fuel stations and show you the price of fuel at said locations, also shows movie times and etc. ( i dont think its powered by google... yet)

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #153
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I purchased Jeep SAT NAV cheep when the local dealer dropped the franchise and dumped the stock. the original program was Austrian and you planned the trip including the programmed accommodation.

blind spot mirrors--sudgest that you cant see out the car--or Is the question should be swapping lanes or have no idea as to the other road users. I had plenty of near misses especially with the trailer on, nothing worse than sports cars and tiny artsy door mirrors.
I drive medium ridged and you have to watch for cars overtaking on single lane rural roads. It has several mirrors and some trucks have cameras and still have blind spots.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #154
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Any car will wear out over time regardless of having technology parts or not, there is no substantiated proof a car with technology parts will wear out quicker, it all comes back how you treat your car.
Go and have a look at a used au forte and then go look at a used au fairmont ghia.. The au fairmont ghia will have half the buttons non operational, the forte (plain Jane interior) will have everything work ok..

These days the cars have even more buttons/switches and gizmos to play with (and fail). How confident are you they are all gonna work in a few years? More fiddly bits = more issues.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #155
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
Go and have a look at a used au forte and then go look at a used au fairmont ghia.. The au fairmont ghia will have half the buttons non operational, the forte (plain Jane interior) will have everything work ok..

These days the cars have even more buttons/switches and gizmos to play with (and fail). How confident are you they are all gonna work in a few years? More fiddly bits = more issues.
Wrong, the plain jane forte can have its share of problems, I did own one.

You are behind the times, cars are coming out with touch screens for controls these days & by the time they wear out the car is ready for the scrap heap.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #156
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My 300c had quite a few electronics in it. But they all worked flawlessly even though the car was 8 years old. Not a single electrical problem.
Modern electronics are getting a lot better.

Plus with electronics I think most of the time it's a time based thing.
I used to drive a 2011 model car with 336,000kms on it and it's electronics had never skipped a beat.
Give it another 15 years and it might be a different story. But honestly how many 2014 model cars will be on the road in 2030. Not many I'm guessing.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #157
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp View Post
What if blind spot assist has either failed or simply failed to pick up something in your blind spot? Regardless of whether I had blind spot assist in the car I was driving, it would never stop me looking over my shoulder. At best I would use it in conjunction with a shoulder glance.
You see the dot, you know something is there and not to go ahead. You should already look at the mirror as part of the head check process for changing lanes. This is a zero negative impact feature.

If there is no dot, continue the head check as normal and change lanes if safe to do so.

Why do you all struggle so much with advancement... Are your egos so fragile that you think they're insulting your god like driving status?
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #158
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Wrong, the plain jane forte can have its share of problems, I did own one.

You are behind the times, cars are coming out with touch screens for controls these days & by the time they wear out the car is ready for the scrap heap.
We've all got our own individual philosophies when it comes to owning & driving cars, no one's right or wrong. If you feel your driving experience is enhanced by tech good for you, but if old mate says tech ruins their driving experience well good for them too!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #159
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Go and have a look at a used au forte and then go look at a used au fairmont ghia.. The au fairmont ghia will have half the buttons non operational...
Yeah, like those power windows and 6-disc CD changer you like...just like described here...bloody Fairmont's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito
I see a luxury drive as nice quiet ride, smooth ride, powerful motor, nice comfy seat, roomy interior, good air conditioner, power windows, cruise control and a nice sounding stereo.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #160
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technology Packs --- who needs em?? I tell you I need them more than a supercharged
V8 with 335 fwkw that I can't use on the street! Even the V8 I own is overkill, but the front sensors and blind spot mirrors have been an asset.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #161
Rodge
Banned

^^ Must say the blind spot orange light in the VF mirrors is an especially good one. Nice and big and well...you'd have to be blind to miss it Better system than the BMW's smaller blind spot alert, in my opinion.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #162
GingerAle

Technology packs....... They are a waste of time for me. Simply because I do not trust the technology yet. I would find myself still looking over my shoulder for blind spots even if the vehicle tells me there is nothing...

I do not even use the cruise control for the fear that i may become incompetent at gauging speed that would result in overspeeding and getting a ticket from our "friendly" traffic police.

And also because i travel a lot for work and hire many cars, I do not want to have the fear of driving a car without the "technology pack" just because i have become too lazy.....

This tech packs are making people lazy as drivers in my opinion... Why do we need this? so that we can check more text messages while driving??
GingerAle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #163
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerAle View Post
Technology packs....... They are a waste of time for me. Simply because I do not trust the technology yet. I would find myself still looking over my shoulder for blind spots even if the vehicle tells me there is nothing...
This seems to be a common theme from people who have not used or have not used correctly - Blind Spot technology.

When driving, if changing lanes, you need to check your side mirror first and then you can twist your head (which, depending on driver, can increase the time you have your eyes off the front road).

With Blind Spot technology, you check mirrors (as per normal) and if the indicator is on it means that a car is in your blind spot. You don't need to turn your head, as you know it's not safe. Drive on and wait until the technology show that it is safe, and then have a look before changing lanes.

Simple.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #164
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerAle View Post

This tech packs are making people lazy as drivers in my opinion... Why do we need this? so that we can check more text messages while driving??
That's your opinion.
I disagree, the technology has been evolving because car makers (and other safety advocates) have seen how poorly people drive and want to counteract that.
Even the basic tape deck causes a distraction and in turn an accident.

So whilst you make believe it is causing people to be lazy it is actually there to prevent accidents, to ensure people keep their eyes on the road.

Volvo has boldly claimed that “nobody should die or suffer serious injuries in a new Volvo car by the year 2020.”
How do you think that's going to happen? Through the great skills of the human being? Not likely. Advancement through innovation is the way.

Would you consider a new Porsche GT3 any less of a car because of the technology it packs? What about the McLaren P1? The Porsche 918?

Only an ignoramus would continue to roll out the "text message" and "facebook" rants when in actual fact much of this technology has nothing to do with it. Even then it is just the start of seamless communication where "mobile phones" will be obsolete.

Last edited by Wretched; 24-03-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #165
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
You see the dot, you know something is there and not to go ahead. You should already look at the mirror as part of the head check process for changing lanes. This is a zero negative impact feature.

If there is no dot, continue the head check as normal and change lanes if safe to do so.

Why do you all struggle so much with advancement... Are your egos so fragile that you think they're insulting your god like driving status?
Probably since you've just described a feature that doesn't eliminate the need for a shoulder check but will probably encourage drivers not to do so.

What makes you think that due to a feature that I can see creating more problems than it solves as struggling with advancement? Sorry that the motorcyclist is under my rear wheels, officer - the dot didn't come on.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #166
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

As a motorcyclist I can also see that orange light and I class it as my friend
7 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #167
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Probably since you've just described a feature that doesn't eliminate the need for a shoulder check but will probably encourage drivers not to do so.

What makes you think that due to a feature that I can see creating more problems than it solves as struggling with advancement? Sorry that the motorcyclist is under my rear wheels, officer - the dot didn't come on.
Remarkable.
Old 26-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #168
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lane keeping should be mandatory on all cars. The amount of people who can"t keep within the lane markings is shocking. Honestly, check your mirrors and pay attention of where you are and the other road users around you and road rage would be less prevalent as well.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #169
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8 View Post
Lane keeping should be mandatory on all cars. The amount of people who can"t keep within the lane markings is shocking. Honestly, check your mirrors and pay attention of where you are and the other road users around you and road rage would be less prevalent as well.
Does anyone have experience with lane keeping technology in cars?

As much as I'm ardently for the addition of extra tech in cars, I do wonder how the lane keeping tech can recognise that you're deliberately veering off your lane to pass a cyclist/avoid a pothole/avoid other obstacle instead of forcing you right back into whatever you were trying to avoid in the first place.

I understand that lane keeping technology can be turned off, though - so that's a plus. It's good to at least have the option.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #170
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Lane keeping systems normally vibrate the steering wheel and seat and sound an alarm when you are drifting closer to lane markings, not during deliberate steering inputs and particularly not when you're performing an emergency maneuver.
Old 27-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #171
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lane keeping on our car simply vibrates the steering wheel and gently puts your car back whitin the lane. If you are deliberately turning the wheel nothing happens.Blind spot technology is also great if you are aware of what is around you at all times by checking your mirrors which is mandatory for a responsible and safe driver,sadly this skill is lacking in so many drivers.I find when the orange light comes on you pick up on it without taking your eyes off the road ahead,you know someone is coming up on you by being aware of what is around you at all times, unless of cause you have tunnel vision which is very prevelant in a lot of motorists.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #172
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Front parking sensors? Should be mandatory on most modern cars with the "droopy" aerodynamic front ends where you literally have no idea where the front of the car actually ends.

Blind spot indicators? Again, fantastic idea...many modern cars seem to have wonderful front vision...but forget all about rearwards view. many have shocking blind spots behind the driver.

There are plenty of tech items which are amazing safety advances, including the common ones like stability control and anti-lock brakes which take over much faster than any human can react when things get out of shape.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #173
GingerAle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
That's your opinion.
I disagree, the technology has been evolving because car makers (and other safety advocates) have seen how poorly people drive and want to counteract that.
Even the basic tape deck causes a distraction and in turn an accident.

So whilst you make believe it is causing people to be lazy it is actually there to prevent accidents, to ensure people keep their eyes on the road.

Volvo has boldly claimed that “nobody should die or suffer serious injuries in a new Volvo car by the year 2020.”
How do you think that's going to happen? Through the great skills of the human being? Not likely. Advancement through innovation is the way.

Would you consider a new Porsche GT3 any less of a car because of the technology it packs? What about the McLaren P1? The Porsche 918?

Only an ignoramus would continue to roll out the "text message" and "facebook" rants when in actual fact much of this technology has nothing to do with it. Even then it is just the start of seamless communication where "mobile phones" will be obsolete.
You Have some good and valid points there mate.

However, if car makers and especially the other safety advocates want to counteract how safely people drive, then why aren't they donating the technology as goodwill or governments subsidising these tech packs so that even the base model of every car has them?? So, are they trying to say that only the rich deserve to live and not be in an accident?

I have actually seen people keep their eyes on the road and still not concentrate.... Its these people who have soo much going on in their mind that should be kept away from driving on our roads.
GingerAle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #174
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They breathe through mouths

Technology is beyond them
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #175
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
They breathe through mouths

Technology is beyond them
You should have seen this AFF crowd when cars came out with traction control, we managed to capture it on video Click here to say AFF Members react to technology
3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #176
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Remarkable.
http://www.crashtest.org/blind-spot-warning-system

"Blind Spot Warning System is only an aid designed to assist driving. It may fail to detect some vehicles and is no substitute for attentive driving. It may not detect road and traffic conditions. It may fail to detect narrow vehicles, such as motorcycles or bicycles, or may only detect them too late. Monitoring may be affected by dirty sensors, strong spray or poor visibility caused by snow, rain or mist. In this case, vehicles are detected late or not at all. - See more at: http://www.crashtest.org/blind-spot-warning-system#sthash.KFKsuIDG.dpuf"

Sorry. A 'safety feature' that is prone to failure (with catastrophic results) and may encourage drivers to not look over their shoulder is not advancement to me. When it's working, it's an aid that should be used in conjunction to looking over the shoulder. I really do fail to see the benefit.

Quote:
You should have seen this AFF crowd when cars came out with traction control, we managed to capture it on video
ABS and Traction Control are excellent safety features that will always be a consideration in any car I drive today or in the future.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #177
BHDOGS
Banned

my tc is permanently disabled in my au as it only activates when im trying to actually get out of peoples way its a death trap
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #178
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Quote:
http://www.crashtest.org/blind-spot-warning-system

"Blind Spot Warning System is only an aid designed to assist driving. It may fail to detect some vehicles and is no substitute for attentive driving. It may not detect road and traffic conditions. It may fail to detect narrow vehicles, such as motorcycles or bicycles, or may only detect them too late. Monitoring may be affected by dirty sensors, strong spray or poor visibility caused by snow, rain or mist. In this case, vehicles are detected late or not at all. - See more
This shows further that you just-don't-get-it.
Old 27-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #179
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You should have seen this AFF crowd when cars came out with traction control, we managed to capture it on video Click here to say AFF Members react to technology
I love monkeys!!

Wretcheds post (regarding ovlov), Trevs post (as a motorbicyclist, myself and yourself ??)

Stupid will always be stupid

Stay safe
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #180
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
This shows further that you just-don't-get-it.
What is there not to get? Some like techno stuff ... some dont? Some techno stuff is great in the improvement of safety .... some isn't? Some like the improvements made over time that has become the norm in cars (Air/Power/ABS/Airbags etc) while some see it as a distraction? Some have been driving quite successfully for 40 odd years with no real issues while others need all the help they can get?

It is a yes or no question asked with no real right or wrong answer ...... but obviously you think that everyone should only think like you and your opinion is all that is right?

I do totally agree with what Rodp put up. Some techo stuff is just there for the sake of it, a distraction and possibly dangerous if not used with common sense. Some stuff will disappear while some will improve with time and become mandatory. Thats the way it goes. Some stuff at this point in time seems to be just to get people to buy ...... but then that is my opinion and no one else needs to agree.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: