Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #61
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Everest designed, engineered in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Why do I need to go overseas, we have a vast endless supply plenty of crap road here in Oz. But to make you feel better I have been overseas (a lot).

As for the Everest one thing is certain, it will never be a Toorak or Eastern suburbs tractor because of the stigma of it being a Ford and it relatively low price, it will be just like the Territory targeted to its designated socio-economic sector.

But you know this already, and since you feel so strongly about a innate object, then go ahead and purchase it, I couldn't care less. Don't forget to take lots of photo's of it doing proper 4x4 driving, you may become unique from that perspective
If you have indeed been overseas then I guess you opinion of roads is much like your assumption of the Everest. and no reasoning will ever fix that.

PS check My signature, I have a car and a 4WD
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #62
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
If you have indeed been overseas then I guess you opinion of roads is much like your assumption of the Everest. and no reasoning will ever fix that.

PS check My signature, I have a car and a 4WD
So you've got succinct facts/details/specifications on the Everest?

I couldn't care less what you drive as it isn't important to the discussion.

But then again, since you bought your knowledge of 4x4's into the discussion, you do realize the 120 series Prado is subject to cracked chassis (but you know that already don't you)

Last edited by cheap; 28-03-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 28-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #63
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
So you've got succinct facts/details/specifications on the Everest?

I couldn't care less what you drive as it isn't important to the discussion.

But then again, since you bought your knowledge of 4x4's into the discussion, you do realize the 120 series Prado is subject to cracked chassis (but you know that already don't you)

Does this sound familiar? I read it somewhere in these forums.

A Spotters guide to Trolls (summarises the resident fordforums trolls nicely)

4. Pedant Troll. In his imagination, pedant troll is the very exemplar of reason, balance and moderation. He feels effortlessly superior to the ridiculous, extremist, purblind fool whose blog he haunts, and whom he likes to put down with his killer sarcasm, weapons-grade pedantry and niggling little quibbles masquerading as constructive criticism. If he were really as brilliant as he thinks he is, he would at the very least have a major blog of his own by now, and more likely be King of the World. Strangely, he has yet to achieve either of these things.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #64
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Woo-hoo! have you come to lend a helping hand to a fellow Territory driver. Do you have details on the capabilities of the as yet not released SUV?
Old 29-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #65
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Woo-hoo! have you come to lend a helping hand to a fellow Territory driver. Do you have details on the capabilities of the as yet not released SUV?
Read my previous post, there is not a lot of info, not that I can find anyhow.
As for capabilities my best guess would be imagine a Ranger wagon! somewhere between the Prado and 200 as a comparison for the vehicle overall and ford will be on a winner. But if you're right and it's a Territory replacement were screwed.
Can you post the info that you must be privy to, that tells us the specs are similar to the Territory?

BTW what is an SUV? a Territory? Comparing a it to a Prado,Cruiser or even the Everest? Totally different class ov vehicle. IMHO
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
Old 29-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #66
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
Read my previous post, there is not a lot of info, not that I can find anyhow.
As for capabilities my best guess would be imagine a Ranger wagon! somewhere between the Prado and 200 as a comparison for the vehicle overall and ford will be on a winner. But if you're right and it's a Territory replacement were screwed.
Can you post the info that you must be privy to, that tells us the specs are similar to the Territory?

BTW what is an SUV? a Territory? Comparing a it to a Prado,Cruiser or even the Everest? Totally different class ov vehicle. IMHO
All good questions, and you best redirect some of these your questions back to the other people who made claims about it being comparable to LC200's, Patrols, Prados and so on, as they must have factual information.

Think this through, if the Everest is slotted between the Prado and LC200's (and don't forget HiLux) Toyota with its clever pricing and specifications has the 4x4 market covered, I do go off road and Toyota is literally everywhere. I think it will be a challenge for Everest competing in this area..

What is a SUV? in my view a SUV is an all wheel drive station wagon on steroids. Basically they're a 1970's Subaru platform restyled

So that leaves the Everest competing against an already saturated SUV market, KIA's to Q5's and everything in between. Everest will want to have a swag of high tech specifications and at the same time be sharply priced to compete. This is why I said Everest is a replacement for Territory.

BTW we occasionally see SUV's off road but they stick to less challenging areas, I've seen Cayenne, CX9, X5, RX350 on Fraser Island but they stick to the hard sand.
Old 29-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #67
Itsme
Experienced Member

I would say Everest would be built on the Ranger specs just like the Holden Colarado 7 to its ute design.
The Ranger needs a wagon version.

Replacement for Territory will be ?

Just my opinion only!
Old 29-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Think of Territory market being split in two - Edge as the soft rroader and Everest as the more capable 4WD Off roader.
Ford's engineers learned a lot by developing T6 ranger First and the fact that they have taken this long to get Everest done is a good sign.
I ould be concerned if it had simply been a quickie off Rnger with cart springs like the current Everest, this SUV will be different.

On the subject of SUV versus a Cross over, I think some of you need to do research.
The American class all of them as Utilities but generally speaking, most but not all SUVs began as truck based vehicles that
slowly evolved into more refined vehicles at the request of the people buying them. About the same time, car based
Crossovers began to come to prominence as people sought the higher driving position but with more car like properties.

And for those wondering, Everest definitely falls into the latter grouping and is a body on frame SUV.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #69
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

From wiki:

SUV: A sport utility vehicle or suburban utility vehicle (SUV) is a vehicle similar to a station wagon or estate car, and are usually equipped with four-wheel drive for on-or-off-road ability. Some SUVs include the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or large sedan.

Here is a list of vehicles classified as SUV's, as far as I can tell only a few began life as a truck.

Compact size SUV:
Audi Q5, BMW X3, Buick Encore, Ford Escape, Jeep Compass, Honda CR-V, Mahindra Quanto, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class, Opel Antara, Range Rover Evoque, Renault Koleos, Toyota RAV4, Volkswagen Tiguan, Mazda CX-5, Mitsubishi ASX and Volvo XC60

Medium size SUV:
Ford Explorer, Acura MDX, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge, Chevrolet Equinox, Dodge Journey, Dodge Durango, Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa Fe, Land Rover Discovery, Tata Safari, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Fortuner, Volkswagen Touareg, Ssangyong Rexton, Jeep Liberty, Mazda CX-9 and Volvo XC90.

Full Size SUV:
Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada, Toyota Sequoia, Mercedes-Benz GL, Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX.

Crossover: A crossover (or CUV: crossover utility vehicle) is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback. The term crossover and SUV are sometimes interchangeable, sometimes used in combination, depending on the marketing or public perception of a particular vehicle.

Four Wheel Drive: Even though in the general context, the term "four-wheel drive" usually refers to an ability that a vehicle may have, it is also used to designate the entire vehicle itself. In Australia, vehicles without significant off-road abilities are often referred to as All-Wheel Drives (AWD) or SUVs, while those with off-road abilities are referred to as "four-wheel drives". This term is sometimes also used in North America, somewhat interchangeably for SUVs and pickup trucks and is sometimes mistakenly applied to two-wheel-drive variants of these vehicles.

Like I said, I have seen all sorts of SUV's "off-road" but very few actually attempt or successfully negotiate anything which a "Four Wheel Drive" would otherwise have for breakfast.
Old 30-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #70
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From wiki:

SUV: A sport utility vehicle or suburban utility vehicle (SUV) is a vehicle similar to a station wagon or estate car, and are usually equipped with four-wheel drive for on-or-off-road ability. Some SUVs include the towing capacity of a pickup truck with the passenger-carrying space of a minivan or large sedan.

Here is a list of vehicles classified as SUV's, as far as I can tell only a few began life as a truck.

Compact size SUV:
Audi Q5, BMW X3, Buick Encore, Ford Escape, Jeep Compass, Honda CR-V, Mahindra Quanto, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class, Opel Antara, Range Rover Evoque, Renault Koleos, Toyota RAV4, Volkswagen Tiguan, Mazda CX-5, Mitsubishi ASX and Volvo XC60

Medium size SUV:
Ford Explorer, Acura MDX, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge, Chevrolet Equinox, Dodge Journey, Dodge Durango, Nissan Murano, Hyundai Santa Fe, Land Rover Discovery, Tata Safari, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Fortuner, Volkswagen Touareg, Ssangyong Rexton, Jeep Liberty, Mazda CX-9 and Volvo XC90.

Full Size SUV:
Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada, Toyota Sequoia, Mercedes-Benz GL, Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser, Lexus LX.

Crossover: A crossover (or CUV: crossover utility vehicle) is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback. The term crossover and SUV are sometimes interchangeable, sometimes used in combination, depending on the marketing or public perception of a particular vehicle.

Four Wheel Drive: Even though in the general context, the term "four-wheel drive" usually refers to an ability that a vehicle may have, it is also used to designate the entire vehicle itself. In Australia, vehicles without significant off-road abilities are often referred to as All-Wheel Drives (AWD) or SUVs, while those with off-road abilities are referred to as "four-wheel drives". This term is sometimes also used in North America, somewhat interchangeably for SUVs and pickup trucks and is sometimes mistakenly applied to two-wheel-drive variants of these vehicles.

Like I said, I have seen all sorts of SUV's "off-road" but very few actually attempt or successfully negotiate anything which a "Four Wheel Drive" would otherwise have for breakfast.
Pedantic semantics. The article you linked suggests that some SUVs have part-time 4 wheel drive, in which the vehicle is sometimes called a 4 wheel drive. But then in your last sentence, you refer to them both as if they are always two separate things. It wouldn't be incorrect to refer to the Everest as a 4x4, four-wheel-drive, SUV, or car. It's as if some people car more about words that simply represent an actual object than the actual object. It's those people who marketers can fool most likely. Don't be one of them.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #71
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Pedantic semantics. The article you linked suggests that some SUVs have part-time 4 wheel drive, in which the vehicle is sometimes called a 4 wheel drive. But then in your last sentence, you refer to them both as if they are always two separate things. It wouldn't be incorrect to refer to the Everest as a 4x4, four-wheel-drive, SUV, or car. It's as if some people car more about words that simply represent an actual object than the actual object. It's those people who marketers can fool most likely. Don't be one of them.
Merely quoting wikipedia, you could of course provide your own definition.

Can you clarify the following "but I bet its off-road capability will surpass that of a stock LC200 and Patrol, which is not hard to do these days" . On what basis did you make that claim, or was what that just marketing?

Last edited by cheap; 30-03-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #72
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Merely quoting wikipedia, you could of course provide your own definition.

Can you clarify the following "but I bet its off-road capability will surpass that of a stock LC200 and Patrol, which is not hard to do these days" . On what basis did you make that claim, or was what that just marketing?
The fact is Ford could call it a "crossover" if they wanted to, to which people would automatically reply "Crossovers will never be as good as a proper 4 wheel drive." Why do they do think that way? Because they think in terms of names and words, not in terms of the actual mechanics behind it. I, on the other hand, don't give a rat's *** what names they use for it, I just care about the mechanics. As far as my Toyota experiences, you already presented your assumptions in post 23 on page 1. I addressed that on post 26.
Old 30-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #73
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
The fact is Ford could call it a "crossover" if they wanted to, to which people would automatically reply "Crossovers will never be as good as a proper 4 wheel drive." Why do they do think that way? Because they think in terms of names and words, not in terms of the actual mechanics behind it. I, on the other hand, don't give a rat's *** what names they use for it, I just care about the mechanics. As far as my Toyota experiences, you already presented your assumptions in post 23 on page 1. I addressed that on post 26.
Post #26 doesn't address the claim you made in post #5
Old 30-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #74
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Closed
Closed Thread