Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #31
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Adelaide Petrol

I think gas has reached its price ceiling.

I know I stopped buying it when it hit .95c as its cheaper to run a small 4cyl than a 6 on gas.
I parked the 6 up and let the rego expire. My eldest lad can have it when he gets his licence in August.

Once i've dropped my 3 eldest to school its only me and the 2 yr old so the little Lancer Coupe I have is perfect.

I was getting 300k from a tank of gas in the 6, I now get the same mileage from a half a tank of petrol and it only costs me $25 to refill @ $1.59 as opposed to $60. @ .90c for gas.

What gets me is how gas has stabilised recently.
There has always been 10-15c fluctuations until recently when it hit 90c, now its pretty much stuck on 89.9c in Adelaide's north week in, week out.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #32
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

last tank of gas i had got me about 520kms before i heard it whistling away telling me it was empty
tank before that i got over 600
not sure whats going on there
but im getting over 500kms for 60 bucks in the ute so reasonably happy with that
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
last tank of gas i had got me about 520kms before i heard it whistling away telling me it was empty
tank before that i got over 600
not sure whats going on there
but im getting over 500kms for 60 bucks in the ute so reasonably happy with that
I was doing 80% stop start in a VT.
Probably needed a gas tune to be honest and the tank is 2 years past its due date for a re test.
So the best part of $400-$500 there just to get it up to scratch.

I've always had gas powered cars, there was a time when it was worth while, but when you factor in the inconvenience of the tank, the extra tuning and the pricing compared to ULP its just not as enticing anymore.

Its only a year or so since you could get gas for .60c, how can they justify a hike of 50% in 18 months when it only rose .45c in the previous 20 years.
Petrol didn't rise 50% in comparison.
Its a scam, and that's why its stuck at .90c because people wont pay anymore for it.

My wife gets about 350k's from half a tank of ULP in her manual VRX in a week, it costs about $50 to refill with a voucher.
That is when I gave up on the gas, when it cost more to do the same distance

Instead of a fuel bill of $110pw it is now $75 and I get everywhere I did in the 6.
$35 isn't much, but its bread and milk for a household of 6 for a week.
Old 30-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #34
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle
I stand corrected - appears you can do all that and more including a Bunnings run for a new door
You should watch the Top Gear Vietnam special.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #35
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[/QUOTE]BENT_8;5057796
Its only a year or so since you could get gas for .60c, how can they justify a hike of 50% in 18 months when it only rose .45c in the previous 20 years.
Petrol didn't rise 50% in comparison.
Its a scam, and that's why its stuck at .90c because people wont pay anymore for .[QUOTE]

Oil companies dont care about what people will pay for it Australia, they care about what the world will pay for it, and are prepared to sell it to the highest bidder. Natural gas prices are rising across the eastern states, because the resource companies can soon start selling gas thru the 3 lng plants in gladstone. Unforturnately in the future you are going to pay whatever the chinese etc are prepared to pay for their oil/ gas products, even if they originate in Australia.

lpg has approx. 30 percent less energy density than petrol (thus in theory should sell for 30% less, regardless of taxes). Even if the government put an extra 50 cents tax on petrol, and none on lpg, the lpg would creep up in price (minus 30% density factor, minus some people dont like it factor, minus smaller infrastucture factor).

Businesses dont stay in business by charging what people wont pay, they charge what people are prepared to pay.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Oil companies dont care about what people will pay for it Australia, they care about what the world will pay for it, and are prepared to sell it to the highest bidder. Natural gas prices are rising across the eastern states, because the resource companies can soon start selling gas thru the 3 lng plants in gladstone. Unforturnately in the future you are going to pay whatever the chinese etc are prepared to pay for their oil/ gas products, even if they originate in Australia.

lpg has approx. 30 percent less energy density than petrol (thus in theory should sell for 30% less, regardless of taxes). Even if the government put an extra 50 cents tax on petrol, and none on lpg, the lpg would creep up in price (minus 30% density factor, minus some people dont like it factor, minus smaller infrastucture factor).

Businesses dont stay in business by charging what people wont pay, they charge what people are prepared to pay.
Like I said, im over it so it can be what ever they want it to be.
There was a time when I'd do a lot of k's and it was worth it, not now, $25 a week is acceptable for what I do.