Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford (and other) TV Ads

I'll say upfront that whilst I understand some of the more complicated marketing strategies, I am NO advertising guru. But I like what I like, and in all honesty I think my tastes are pretty mainstream. Ads that I LOVE go on to become part of popular culture, ads I hate disappear quickly. (ie I assume that whilst I'm not an expert, I simply like the same things most people do.)

I watch a LOT of TV. Way, WAY, too much, but that's another story. If there's been an ad on TV, chances are I've seen it.

In an industry where brand awareness is KING, I think the Jeep campaign has been brilliant. They've taken what was a negative ("you bought a WHAT? WTF did you do that for?") and parleyed into not only brand awareness, but the ultimate goal for all advertising, popular culturisation.
In contrast, Toyota's attempt to do the same thing with the Camry, simply emphasised the point that only those men with no further use for their testes would buy one. Furthermore, emasculating those who HAVE bought your product is not a great way to develop brand loyalty.

Holden running ads to point out to their customers (most of whom would have been oblivious) that they ("The Australian Car Company") were abandoning Australia, was probably the lowest point of recent advertising.

I'm well aware of all the for & against arguments for advertising. Personally I turn off when Commode ads come on, yet I can still recall them and they seem to work. Despite all the rhetoric about people not buying large RWD sedans, the Commode remains one of Australia's top sellers.
I'm not suggesting that better advertising would have SAVED the Falcon, but really, what attempts have they made? The ecoLPI is a fekkin brilliant innovation, I reckon every non-v8 Falcon should be one, yet I have never seen a single ad. (Just read all the anti-LPG rhetoric in this forum to understand the potential of decent LPG advertising.)
The ONLY Falcon ad I can recall seeing in recent memory was for the turbo 4. An extremely funny, yet completely pointless ad for a really stupid product. Imagine if FA had taken the money they wasted on developing & implementing the 4, and spent it instead on marketing the Falcon.

The Fiesta is a brilliant small car. Personally I think it (and it's fraternal twin the Mazda 2) are streets ahead of cars like the Yaris, Micra, and Getz. Yet FA's best effort was some lamentable hip-hop inspired fandango some time back.

The epic shiteness of Ford's Australian Advertising/ Marketing can best be summed up by the Focus: When they ran decent ads, it was one of our top sellers. It remains one of the top selling cars in the world, its cousin is the number one seller in Australia, it wins multiple awards, yet can't even crack the top ten. I THINK I've seen a focus ad, its some annoying nonsense about integrating your bluetooth and Karaoke, I don't actually recall the car being advertised, which is kinda my point.

And here's another point: With the ongoing (and soon to be total) demise of the Falcon, Ford's candidate for the Medium~Large segment will be the Mondeo/ Focus. Globally this is an epic car, with a mouth-watering array of engines. Considering it shares its platform (and therefore many components) with the new Explorer, Flex, & Edge, the potential for "localised" versions and parts support is significant. Yet when was the last time FA made any attempt to advertise it???

Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Ford (and other) TV Ads

I don't have time for TV.

The only add I liked for the falcon was the 'Can't get enough of this' one. Got the song on my phone.

Then there was that focus add... Oh man.. The one with that guy who has yet to have his gonads drop by the sound of his voice...

LOL gonads was in my swipe dictionary...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford add???? .......never seen or heard of one. They're still relying on word of mouth last I heard.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the AU Falcon ute ad back in 1999/2000 where that farmer made a wish and a Falcon one tonner fell out of the sky!! shame I cant find that ad anywhere
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I download all my TV series so I avoid the ads, if you want to target me with ads you'd be better off doing it on Facebook or Youtube.

Oh wait I have AdblockPLUS installed on Firefox, you can't get to me with ads on the net...

The last ads I remember of any significance are the Mazda zoom-zoom ads on TV.

I guess I advertise for Jeep as I have their T-shirts, shirts, jackets and hoodies from their clothing store chain, good clothes but.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-06-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must be stuck in third...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I like the AU Falcon ute ad back in 1999/2000 where that farmer made a wish and a Falcon one tonner fell out of the sky!!
shame I cant find that ad anywhere
It's been removed due to legal action.
Ford found it was damaging their image as it clearly implied that they responded to customer wishes.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
rdmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Must be stuck in third...
Ford should get those two guys back to promote the last ever falcon Ute in their marketing.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

dont mind the ranger one with the bloke checking the fish breeding up stream
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It's been removed due to legal action.
Ford found it was damaging their image as it clearly implied that they responded to customer wishes.
lol its about it. back in them days there was lots of ads for the Falcon. cant remember the last time I seen an ad for the Falcon on TV. its been that long.

those ads where better back then compared to now. the Ford Focus ad for example where old mates driving and his mate in the passenger seat says play pervious track IMO. great car, annoying ad
Old 21-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
dont mind the ranger one with the bloke checking the fish breeding up stream
that one wasn't to bad in my book.
Old 21-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Ford add???? .......never seen or heard of one. They're still relying on word of mouth last I heard.
Yeah.

It goes something like this from someone I know :

"I tried to buy an XR6 Turbo, and the salesman showed me a Mondeo Zetec he had in the showroom and said "it was the way to go" ......... So I walked out."
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
those ads where better back then compared to now. the Ford Focus ad for example where old mates driving and his mate in the passenger seat says play pervious track IMO. great car, annoying ad
Needs more Frank Walker from National Tiles.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post