Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Nite time crazy idea

I put this up elsewhere and didnt get much response, most who read probobly thought I was crazy or smoking something.

In the early hours of the morning when I cant sleep the brain does wierd things........
I do a lot of country driving and also a lot at night, your hands are ...supposedly on the 10 - 2 position and suddendly your in a bend theres someone coming towards you, your both flaying around trying to find the dip light lever.
Years ago before most of you were sparks in your parents eyes, cars had a dip switch on the floor usually near the clutch pedal...........these are very hard to find although buried somewhere I've got 3 of em.

Well. how about little pressure switches on ya finger tips, (like a soft glove) this way you always have the light level control at your finger tips and simple push and the lights change rather than flaying around trying to find the stupid lever.....

As I said theres wierd things go on in my head at night.

Old 22-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nite time crazy idea

You think too much

Leave your high beams on and maintain the rage
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats not weird Tonz, thats called thinking outside the box, I can see where your comin from ....... it wouldnt be bad if you could do something like that........ or perhaps have a sensor like on some smart phones and just make a gesture with a finger? ....... no not the bird .
Actually there have been times I have thought about putting a dip switch in that would work as well as the stalk, it is a weakness in car controls the high beam stalk for sure.
just thinking about it some cars have auto dip headlights, of course that doesn't help us on cars without it.

Last edited by mik; 22-06-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've often wondered why they went away from the floor mounted dipper switch in the first place. It's much easier to use as your foot is just there. I'm sure they could have improved the switch operation easily so it wasn't quite as pedestrian.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Floor switch is good when your double clutching through the gears going through a corner. Not. meh Combination switch is the same.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Well. how about little pressure switches on ya finger tips,
what happens when you pick your nose?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
what happens when you pick your nose?
Now that's what I call a dilemma ! har har har

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I've often wondered why they went away from the floor mounted dipper switch in the first place. It's much easier to use as your foot is just there. I'm sure they could have improved the switch operation easily so it wasn't quite as pedestrian.
They probably went away from them when left foot footrests started coming into fashion.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I put this up elsewhere and didnt get much response, most who read probobly thought I was crazy or smoking something.

In the early hours of the morning when I cant sleep the brain does wierd things........
I do a lot of country driving and also a lot at night, your hands are ...supposedly on the 10 - 2 position and suddendly your in a bend theres someone coming towards you, your both flaying around trying to find the dip light lever.
Years ago before most of you were sparks in your parents eyes, cars had a dip switch on the floor usually near the clutch pedal...........these are very hard to find although buried somewhere I've got 3 of em.

Well. how about little pressure switches on ya finger tips, (like a soft glove) this way you always have the light level control at your finger tips and simple push and the lights change rather than flaying around trying to find the stupid lever.....

As I said theres wierd things go on in my head at night.
Suddendly your in a bend theres someone coming towards you, your both feet start stomping to find the dip light switch covered up by the floor mat

Yea I remember those useless switches!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Suddendly your in a bend theres someone coming towards you, your both feet start stomping to find the dip light switch covered up by the floor mat

Yea I remember those useless switches!
not much different from trying to find the stalk while hurriedly spinning the steering wheel when you are totally blinded for about 20 seconds by some sod with about 900 wats of driving lights ....... to that bloke in arthurs creek.....
2 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Well auto dimmers are all the rage now, although I've found large reflective signs tend to freak them out!
Old 23-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Matty4
Banana

Yep, mine has auto dipping high beams but sometimes reflective speed limit signs can fool it, also they don't work well around corners and on windy roads when you only get a second before the oncoming car is right upon you.
Old 23-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like driving and picking bits of dead skin between my toes

foot dipper switch is pia
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
Well auto dimmers are all the rage now, although I've found large reflective signs tend to freak them out!
Can you over ride them if you want ?
Old 23-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #15
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

reckon my old xm coupe had a floor dimmer
i know i drove something that did in my early 20s
i liked it
i like to drive with the left hand on the triptronic gear shift sometimes and its a pain in the *** dimming lights from the steering wheel
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll go one up and retell the story of the journo taking a brand new Lambo for a spirited drive on a windy mountain road on a cold winter evening. Coming around a bend at a decent rate he notices a car comming the other way. He immediatly goes for the highbeam only to find himself spaying the windscreen with water which immediately frosts up basically blinding him mid-corner with a car coming the other way.

The only skidmarks visible were in his underdacks.

I personnally have no idea why Euro cars are allowed to have their indicator on the left side of the steering wheel and wipers on the right. But that is probably another thread.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

"Siri, dip headlights!"

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I personnally have no idea why Euro cars are allowed to have their indicator on the left side of the steering wheel and wipers on the right. But that is probably another thread.
Seeing my wife has had a VW for nearly 8 years now, I have adapted to both sides. Pretty easy really. But its surprising how much easier it is to drive a manual car with indicators on the left side, so the right hand stays firmly on the wheel.

Now that local car manufacture is almost over, its about time that Australia standardises the indicator and wiper wand sides to how it is in the rest of the world. UK seems to have changed some time ago.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We used them in the ambos to change siren tone or "bark", just stomp on the C and get the party started.

Not so much party when you put your foot down and all 2.1L with 90KW and 300nm tries moving a 3500kg+ beast shaped like 10 washing machines....... Whirlpool's finest.

Grandma's scooter would beat one down the 1/4 mile.

People get so upset about the indicator on the left, doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-06-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #20
staity

I got used to the left hand indicator the first day i drove one. Im also in and out of the wifes falcon so i have to swap from left to right on a weekly basis and it rarely trips me up.

2013 Ford Kuga Titanium Gunmetal Grey
staity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Can you over ride them if you want ?
Yep, can still dim as normal