Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Ford to replace 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine after just 4 model years

Quote:
In an unusual move, Ford Motor Co. is phasing out its current 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine after just four model years.

Ford said today it is replacing the engine with a new 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder early next year beginning with the redesigned 2015 Edge. The current engine, which debuted in the 2011 Edge, will be gradually replaced in other vehicles.

The last engine in a Ford vehicle with such a short life was the 3.9-liter V-8 in the retro-styled 2002-05 Thunderbird.

Most engines have a life span of at least 10 years.

Scott Makowski, chief engineer for Ford’s large inline four-cylinder engines, said rapid improvements in engine technology led to the demise of the current 2.0, which has the highest production of Ford’s EcoBoost engine family.

The current 2.0 is offered in at least a dozen vehicles globally, such as Fusion, Focus ST, Edge, Escape, Explorer, Taurus, Lincoln MKZ and MKC in the North America, the Ford Falcon in Australia, and European cars such as the Mondeo and S-Max people mover.

The new 2.0 shares almost no parts with the current engine. It will deliver a better combination of fuel economy and power, Makowski said.

EcoBoost engines -- which feature direct fuel injection, turbocharging and variable cam timing -- have been criticized for delivering either power or fuel economy, but not both, in larger vehicles such as the Explorer and Edge.

Makowski said the new 2.0 has a new block, redesigned cylinder head, Borg-Warner twin scroll turbocharger, revised fuel injectors and higher compression ratio. It weighs about 10 pounds less than the current engine.

The new head has three exhaust ports routed into a manifold that channels exhaust gas pulses from cylinders 2 and 3, and 1 and 4, separately into each scroll of the turbocharger. This reduces the time needed for the turbocharger to reach full speed. The result, Makowski said, is a more responsive vehicle.

“We don’t go backwards,” Ford's Makowski says of the company's newest 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine.

Photo credit: RICHARD TRUETT

Ford officials would not comment on the new 2.0’s power output, which will be rated higher than the current engine’s 240 hp and 270 pounds-feet of torque. “We don’t go backwards,” Makowski said.

The 2.0-liter EcoBoost is part of a three-engine North American lineup for the redesigned Edge. The Edge Sport will also be available with an EcoBoost engine, the new 2.7-liter V-6 that will debut this fall in the redesigned aluminum-bodied F-150, and a nonturbo 3.5-liter V-6. European versions will be offered with a diesel engine.

All engines will be combined with six-speed automatic transmissions. The new 2.0 will be available with all-wheel drive, which was not offered with the current 2.0.

Makowski said the new engine makes that powertrain combination possible because the new engine has a broader torque curve.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...-4-model-years

Interesting.
Isn't the 2.0 based on the Mazda decommed MZR block?

Old 25-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford to replace 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine after just 4 model years

Quote:
EcoBoost engines -- which feature direct fuel injection, turbocharging and variable cam timing -- have been criticized for delivering neither power or fuel economy, but not both, in larger vehicles such as the Explorer and Edge.
bwahahahaha
Seriously, Blind Freddie could have seen that coming.

Wish I could be bothered digging out all those posts from a few years back where everyone lauded the EB4 and how it was going to save the Falcon.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...-4-model-years

Interesting.
Isn't the 2.0 based on the Mazda decommed MZR block?
If it is explains a lot. Mazda can't build a decent engine, OK ones, but not one of the top builders.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
bwahahahaha

Wish I could be bothered digging out all those posts from a few years back where everyone lauded the EB4 and how it was going to save the Falcon.
I struggle to find any recent owner's post of how well their EB4 Falcons are going.
I have been recently looking at (haven't driven any) 2nd hand EB4 Falcons, but not confident to go any further due to the lack of any recent talk.
Its just too quiet about them.
4stanger is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
bwahahahaha

Do you own an EcoBoost? Sounds like you know it all from that post. Way to mis quote the quote too. Save the falcon, hardly, nothing was going to.

The 2L probably isnt suited for bigger cars but in my ST its pretty ample thats for sure.

Last edited by DJM83; 25-06-2014 at 07:27 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gees that was a short life......Sounds like the new one is much more improved though.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

When they spread it around so much it only makes sense to replace it sooner.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

This engine would have started life when Ford had controlling interest in Mazda. Now they are separate companies, it is no surprise to hear the engine will be ditched.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Do you own an EcoBoost?
Yeah sure. I've always thought that putting the EB in the Falcon was the stupidest idea since iSnack 2.0, so obviously I was going to rush and and buy one.
Quote:
Save the falcon, hardly, nothing was going to.
Go back and read the posts from a few years back, that is EXACTLY what people claimed. According to them governments and greenies everywhere were queuing up to buy them by the thousands.
Quote:
The 2L probably isnt suited for bigger cars but in my ST its pretty ample thats for sure.
Wow, just wow.
WAY to restate the obvious.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
bwahahahaha

So, after reading the article a few times through, I failed to see anything mentioned about the engine failing to meet expectations in the falcon...and it has copped more praise then negative criticism, about the only product it has had a poor reception is the large SUV's, such as the explorer.

In the Falcon and Taurus, it has copped nothing but praise...and I have heard similar from people I know that have driven one.

But, what do you expect, so many people happy to shoot Ford and there efforts down at every given chance, there must be some sort of internets points bonus for doing so...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All they're doing is updating the engine to one that is of better design/fuel efficient. I dont think we can blame Ford for trying a new engine thats more sophisticated.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo View Post
I struggle to find any recent owner's post of how well their EB4 Falcons are going.
I have been recently looking at (haven't driven any) 2nd hand EB4 Falcons, but not confident to go any further due to the lack of any recent talk.
Its just too quiet about them.
Which can be a good thing. There has been really no outcry of them being bad in all sized cars. Believe me ..... you will hear if the engines used 3mm of oil more than they should more so than people saying how good they are ...... in which they are. Take one for a drive and you will be (should be) very surprised. Dont forget also, even though there are not many in Falcons, they are well tested and proven engine around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
The OBVIOUS is .... the EcoBoost is a stunning little engine pushing out similar power to the I6 in both terms of 0-100 and around a track. Its these totally naive and uneducated comments and thoughts that killed off the EcoBoost in the Falcon. NOTHING AT ALL to do with how capable it actually is. Obviously you have taken a few for a spin? Great to drive, especially on a twisty road. Then jump back in the 6 and feel how much heavier near on 100 kilos up front is. Having a chuckle about it just shows the mentality of some and why it didn't sell. Actually the EcoBoost IS very suited to larger cars like the Falcon. Its just some cannot get over their own prejudices.

Yes, everyone thought it would do better than it did. The main reason ( apart from the fact no one knew about them) they didn't sell well ..... because of an ill conceived perception that proves that some have no idea.

Good to see that they are moving on with the program. The EB's are only going to get way better and exciting and Ford ARE on to something.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 25-06-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: unfortunate spelling mistake :)
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

People kept thinking about 4 cylinder Commodore when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth, they should have stopped the I6 NA production and replaced it with Ecoboost and just not told anyone, its not like people would have noticed, except for us I guess. I'm pretty sure the 2L Ecoboost has around the same amount of torque as what the I6 did and earlier, from like 1500 RPM or something.

Just leave the I6 for XR6T and F6.

Can't compare recent technology to something which was just a 6 cylinder engine with 2 cylinders gone.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Ecoboost has shorter gearing though, woukdve been interesting if they kept the 2.73 diff in.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Which can be a good thing. There has been really no outcry of them being bad in all sized cars. Believe me ..... you will hear if the engines used 3mm of oil more than they should more so than people saying how good they are ...... in which they are. Take one for a drive and you will be (should be) very surprised. Dont forget also, even though there are not many in Falcons, they are well tested and proven engine around the world.

The OBVIOUS is .... the EcoBoost is a stunning little engine pushing out similar power to the I6 in both terms of 0-100 and around a track. Its these totally naive and uneducated comments and thoughts that killed off the EcoBoost in the Falcon. NOTHING AT ALL to do with how capable it actually is. Obviously you have taken a few for a spin? Great to drive, especially on a twisty road. Then jump back in the 6 and feel how much heavier near on 100 kilos up front is. Having a chuckle about it just shows the mentality of some and why it didn't sell. Actually the EcoBoost IS very suited to larger cars like the Falcon. Its just some cannot get over their own prejudices.

Yes, everyone thought it would do better than it did. The main reason ( apart from the fact no one knew about them) they didn't sell well ..... because of an ill conceived perception that proves that some have no idea.

Good to see that they are moving on with the program. The EB's are only going to get way better and exciting and Ford ARE on to something.
I agree 100% and still remember your excellent write-up when you tried one out, was it in Tasmania ?

Ford N.Z. in their "infinite wisdom" only ever imported the XT model here, which is a shame as i think if they'd brought one in with a decent level of spec it could have sold quite well here with fuel @ circa $2.15 a litre.

Sometimes I wonder how many brain cells the senior managers at Ford N.Z. have between the lot of them

I hope they still give us a final shot at the Ecoboost in the FH. There's some really good value Ecoboost G6's on Car Sales, I really wish I had a bigger garage...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man, these comments about how the Falcon NEEDS a big engine really annoy me. I haven't driven an EcoBoost Falcon, but I'm sure they go well, and looking at the stats for them, they use stuff all fuel and make good power / torque. Protip - engines have advanced hugely, a bigger engine is not always better.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Wow, just wow.
Care to give me an idea what i restated? you edited quote to say the EB motor provides neither power nor economy yeah.

Well in my car said motor produces 184kw and 360nm torque. While it isnt the most powerful in its class it is pretty much on par with most in the hot hatch class. While still delivering 8.3/100 with a generous foot, its a good mix of both i think.

Really though its hard to knock any engine for not providing power and econ. In reality you cant have both
4 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #18
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Some of the comments, laughable.
The current 2.0 ecoBoost is a fantastic flexible engine.
It has been used in various applications and in all, a success (within Ford and other makes).
The Falcon whilst not a success in sales was in application. All reviews were positive.
The car felt better to drive compared to the I6, performance was on par and used less fuel, win-win.
Old 26-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #19
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
People kept thinking about 4 cylinder Commodore when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth, they should have stopped the I6 NA production and replaced it with Ecoboost and just not told anyone, its not like people would have noticed, except for us I guess. I'm pretty sure the 2L Ecoboost has around the same amount of torque as what the I6 did and earlier, from like 1500 RPM or something.

Just leave the I6 for XR6T and F6.

Can't compare recent technology to something which was just a 6 cylinder engine with 2 cylinders gone.

some of us with Falcons still like to tow.(not many) but I would of noticed!! that the only real down side to the four cylinder Ecoboost compared to a Barra 6 N/A. Ecoboost makes sense as it says you can still have a big car with four cylinder economy that has 6 cylinder performance!! it doesn't make as much Torque as the six but still makes a very impressive 353Nm vs 391Nm for the 6. I'd own one as a family car and I'd keep me ute for a tow car
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I agree 100% and still remember your excellent write-up when you tried one out, was it in Tasmania ?

Thanks Rog! Found the thread!

Just so people also understand, I tried on this trip to get the Falcon to read 9.0/ltr, struggled but eventually got it to 9.1. That took some going but dropped back the moment I started to drive 'normal' ..... and we drove them like they were hired cars! And that was for 300 odd k's for the day.

The thread was here and cheers

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...coBoost+launch

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #21
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Well I too am very happy ford isn't just settling with an allready globally successfully engine. I love that they are taking advantage of they're new technology and engineering forward momentum, and releasing an updated version. Better then flogging it till it becomes old tech!

And people who think low sales of eb4 falcons in aus reflect on the quality of the eb4, truely are uneducated in this matter! Don't waste your breath......go read some more first
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
some of us with Falcons still like to tow.(not many) but I would of noticed!! that the only real down side to the four cylinder Ecoboost compared to a Barra 6 N/A. Ecoboost makes sense as it says you can still have a big car with four cylinder economy that has 6 cylinder performance!! it doesn't make as much Torque as the six but still makes a very impressive 353Nm vs 391Nm for the 6. I'd own one as a family car and I'd keep me ute for a tow car
IIRC that 353nm is from 1500 RPM and it maintains it to like 5000 RPM or something so its got a lot of balls down low, would tow adequately.

Problem is people don't use large sedans to tow anymore, everyones got a SUV or 4x4 dual cab ute towing caravans or horse floats.

The only thing I see Falcons towing is the odd 6x4 down to the tip which a Hyundai Getz could do without breaking a sweat.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #23
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
IIRC that 353nm is from 1500 RPM and it maintains it to like 5000 RPM or something so its got a lot of balls down low, would tow adequately.

Problem is people don't use large sedans to tow anymore, everyones got a SUV or 4x4 dual cab ute towing caravans or horse floats.

The only thing I see Falcons towing is the odd 6x4 down to the tip which a Hyundai Getz could do without breaking a sweat.
that's pretty true. its rather rare now to see a Falcon towing something with a decent weight like you used to. towing wise you get the optional heavy duty towing pack with the 6 (2300kg). the EcoBoost still will tow the same amount as an auto Falcon 6 with out the heavy towing pack (1600kg). even 1600kg is still plenty for most people.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #24
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I still love my EB G6E. 40,000 kms on it and hasnt missed a beat. The only reason I have the G6E EcoLPi is because Ford only rated the EB to 1600kgs for towing! Still get awesome fuel economy and its an eager motor! I love it in the Falcon. Feels much better than the I6 and the entire front end feels a lot better (obvious weight savings). If you havent driven one, then get off the computer and drive one prior to commenting.

Still averaging high 8's/low 9's in town and high 6's/low 7's on the highway. Thats fantastic for a full size sedan!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #25
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to put it out there and say an Ecoboost tows 1000kg similar if not better than my BF DLPG. And yes I've towed 1000kg with both.
Nothing wrong with the EcoBoost in the Falcon. I'm trying to talk the missus into one at the moment.
Old 27-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have liked to have seen the Falcon made of aluminium with an 8+ speed ZF, and a bigger range of EcoBoost engines. Ford just built an aluminium Fusion prototype, and it's lighter than a Fiesta, so they were able to power it with just the 1.0L EcoBoost!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #27
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Thanks Rog! Found the thread!

Just so people also understand, I tried on this trip to get the Falcon to read 9.0/ltr, struggled but eventually got it to 9.1. That took some going but dropped back the moment I started to drive 'normal' ..... and we drove them like they were hired cars! And that was for 300 odd k's for the day.

The thread was here and cheers

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...coBoost+launch
Thanks for the thread mine Dave...that review...definitly some of your very best work

Makes me think...74 less kg's over the nose with all the substaintial handling benifets that brings, heaps less fuel burn and still capable of 0-100 km's in 6.6 seconds...maybe I'm getting old, (well starting too at 52 ) but sometimes I wonder why I bother owning a V8. With all the draconian speed regulations these days the last bastion of true freedom is handling and if one needs a large saloon the Ecoboost hits that spot perfectly.
Here's hoping for some new technology with the FH and Ford slipping that gem of a motor into an XR6.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #28
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Thanks for the thread mine Dave...that review...definitly some of your very best work

Makes me think...74 less kg's over the nose with all the substaintial handling benifets that brings, heaps less fuel burn and still capable of 0-100 km's in 6.6 seconds...maybe I'm getting old, (well starting too at 52 ) but sometimes I wonder why I bother owning a V8. With all the draconian speed regulations these days the last bastion of true freedom is handling and if one needs a large saloon the Ecoboost hits that spot perfectly.
Here's hoping for some new technology with the FH and Ford slipping that gem of a motor into an XR6.
My feelings as well Rodge. While it may not exceed the I6, it does keep up AND with the 50 - 50 weight distribution it feels like it is running on rails. The handling is overlooked by those that never tried one. I love mine
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #29
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Ecoboost GT with 2x 4 banger ecoboosts hashed together. Nice.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #30
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
My feelings as well Rodge. While it may not exceed the I6, it does keep up AND with the 50 - 50 weight distribution it feels like it is running on rails. The handling is overlooked by those that never tried one. I love mine
Its interesting to note that my former SC FPV motor weigh's 47 kg's more than an F6 turbo six, strip off the intercooler turbo and all related plumbing the SC V8 motor must weigh at least 60 Kg's more than a NA inline six engine and there's another 74 kg's less weight back to the EB 4 motor compared to a NA inline six. If my maths is correct a EB4 engine weigh's about 134 kg's less than a SC V8 engine !!