Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Exclamation Knocking Noise

G'Day all.

Another knocking noise one for ya. Tonite, and on previous ocasions, I have gone around a corner pretty hard (usually left hand corners) and on quite a few ocasions, it sounds like a big thump/whack/knock, (however you want to descibe a big sound) come from aprox, around my feet - it sounds like I flicked up a big rock or stick or something onto some part of the floorpan or firewall. The first time I dismised it as just that, but now it has happened a few more times - what is this noise. It concerns me because of the seriousness of the thump.

PLEASE HELP.

P.S. - AU3 Falcon Futura, stock alloy rims, only slightly lowered suspension (done before I got the car). I can't see any dents either.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Have u had the steering rack recall done yet? All AU's were suposed to have this done somthing had to be welded up. hope that helps.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
P.S. - AU3 Falcon Futura
Didn't affect the AU3's

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 28-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Didn't affect the AU3's
All AU's, so yes series 3 aswell.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Thats not what I was told in other posts, or by the product recall website (the government one)

Old 28-01-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
keenaz
Starter Motor

Hey Chaser, my 3 series ute does that same thing when im going through the tight drive thrus at maccas (maybe i only hear it then coz i turn down the music). Anyhoo, if anyone finds the cure id also love to hear it!
keenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

What runs under that side of the car - exhaust, and that's about it. Could be extractors hitting the chassis rails (doubtful though). Could also be worn roll bar bushes (chassis ones, not the link ones) - this is more likely. When I first got mine, it happened all the time, and bushes was the issue.

My car has a similar noise on passenger side when I reverse turning left, but being a V8, I think it is the extractors hitting a chassis bolt - there's not much room there. I have already replaced the roll bar bushes with nolathane ones, so pretty sure that's not the problem on mine.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU3's were not affected with the steering rack recall. Car had to be build before sometime before 01 (i think) to have the recall. My Series 3 never had the recall.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Check your ball joints and tie rod ends.
An AU front end is normally good for up to 300,000 k's but if it has had a few good knocks you might need some new wearing parts.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Yeah - I'll have a look now, but the thing is, is it's only done 56,000 - it only had 36,000 when i got it - no real serious driving (that I know of). Usually just heavy accelerating, and barely any wheel spinning or drifting. But things wear out so I'll check it out.

Old 29-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #11
XR8GRL