Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
BlueOvalPrint

Default Ford to sponsor Sydney NYE fireworks for 3 years - news report

What do we think of this Forumers? A new way to push the brand in front of a massive audience, or just another Ford marketing brainfart that doesn't tell people about WHY they should choose a Ford as their next car?

From today's Daily Tele:
Clover Moore’s pedal hits the metal: Ford to sponsor Sydney’s New Year’s Eve festivities

SHE wants to get rid of thousands of cars from Sydney CBD and slash carbon emissions across the city. But Lord Mayor Clover Moore is only too happy to *accept a bumper payday from motoring giant Ford, which will sponsor Sydney’s New Year’s Eve celebrations for the next three years.

City of Sydney councillors unanimously backed the deal last night, and CEO Monica Barone is expected to get the green light next week to negotiate the remaining fine print with Ford.

The deal will begin this year and run to 2016.

The value of the deal *remains confidential but any sponsorship deal larger than $150,000 must be rubber-stamped by the council. Sources have suggested the deal is well in excess of that amount.

Along with its cash, Ford will supply a fleet of cars for City of Sydney staff during New Year’s Eve and provide LED screens and speakers to entertain crowds.

Ford, which is closing all of its Australian manufacturing plants by 2016, will get advertising and marketing space in return. It remains unclear if its logo will appear on the Harbour Bridge. “The city does struggle finding sponsors so they’re pretty excited,” one council source said.

Ms Moore, who is spending $200m to help pedestrianise George Street and has set a 70 per cent emission reduction target by 2030, denied the sponsorship was double *standards.

“I’m not anti-car. I want people who need to drive to be able to do so without battling serious congestion,” she said.

“I want people to have more choice so if they want to use other modes of transport they can do so in a quick and safe way.

“Many businesses in Australia and around the world are taking strong action to reduce their emissions, including Ford.”

Despite Ms Moore’s claims, Ford makes plenty of gas guzzlers. Its Raptor model runs at a hugely uneconomical 4.6km per litre of fuel, while the Ford F-150 4WD can achieve a slightly better 5.1km per litre.

In official documents outlining the deal, City of Sydney also defended the appointment of a car sponsor: “An alignment with Ford, currently the world’s leading environmental brand will enhance the city’s association and show support for such initiatives.”

Research has shown that New Year’s Eve contributes $156m to the Sydney economy for an outlay of $5.2m. The deal will help offset those costs

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1227028636000

BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Ford to sponsor Sydney NYE fireworks for 3 years - news report

I think it's a bit of a joke really. I personally think that money could have helped out a V8 Supercar team.

They may as well light up the cash wrapped around the fireworks and watch it burn. It will barely equate to a Ford website click let alone more sales.

Then again, I may be just a tad cynical.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ye sounds like a a waste of time and money considering Ford are closing down anyways.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I think it's a bit of a joke really. I personally think that money could have helped out a V8 Supercar team.

They may as well light up the cash wrapped around the fireworks and watch it burn. It will barely equate to a Ford website click let alone more sales.

You mean they should tell some motoring enthusiasts who already know about Ford that Ford exists? It would be like Apple sponsoring an Apple enthusiast meeting... I believe the term "preaching to the converted" comes to mind.

This sounds good to me. There'll be families standing around for several hours with time to kill so why not strategically place some Fords around and get some normal people (those in the new car market, not 16 year old forumers with FPR merchandise) into them and interested?

Good move Ford.

PS: I love the V8 supercars and watch them whenever they're on, but I also understand how businesses and marketing work.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Hawkeye84

Actually, Ford arent closing down.
The Falcon wont exist anymore, but Ford will still have a full range of cars.

Im pretty sure, as a part of a contra deal, Ford would have negotiated with the City of Sydney to set up the driving experience track for families to try out on the day of the fireworks (like they did at the Sydney Motorshow and the Royal Easter Show) - this will get bums in seats and hopefully potential sales leads. Its a lot more targeted than TV ads and OOH billboards.

And as a person working in the marketing industry, this is what i would have done among other things. Im pretty sure Ford has it worked out, you gotta cut them some slack.

The only thing i find questionable is the Synergy of the deal - With City of Sydney goals to become carbon neutral by 2030 and Ford being a car company.........perhaps a good time for Ford to promote EcoBoost and EcoLPi and tie it in with that....they have to be careful to avoid greenwashing criticisms from the press..

Last edited by Hawkeye84; 19-08-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
Actually, Ford arent closing down.
The Falcon wont exist anymore, but Ford will still have a full range of cars.

this will get bums in seats and hopefully potential sales leads. Its a lot more targeted than TV ads and OOH billboards.

Yes, Ford are not leaving the country, so they are doing all they can to promote the cars that will be their future bread winners for the company.

This type of promotion is certainly more targeted and will be more in your face than TV ect. How many people zone out during TV adds? But at a big event with a large crowd of varying ages, this style of advertising is much more likely have some cut through than a 60sec TV spot with a car driving along a moody road.

Hang on, all the above is too logical, what am I thinking. No no no, Ford are wasting their money, they should have a Falcon TV and radio Ad, should spend up on racing car teams................................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a great way to spend your marketing budget.
Sod those chickens who want to waste it advertising cars.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post

I'd rather the money was divided up and given to the retrenched staff as a final thank you for their service and sticking it out till the end.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

This is great news, Ford wanting to sponsor one of the biggest events of the year. You know, sponsor as in market product lines etc...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
I'd rather the money was divided up and given to the retrenched staff as a final thank you for their service and sticking it out till the end.
You mean a payment other than their salary and redundancy payment?
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Yes, Ford are not leaving the country, so they are doing all they can to promote the cars that will be their future bread winners for the company.

This type of promotion is certainly more targeted and will be more in your face than TV ect. How many people zone out during TV adds? But at a big event with a large crowd of varying ages, this style of advertising is much more likely have some cut through than a 60sec TV spot with a car driving along a moody road.

Hang on, all the above is too logical, what am I thinking. No no no, Ford are wasting their money, they should have a Falcon TV and radio Ad, should spend up on racing car teams................................
Mate the amount of times I've commented on the seemingly good new global ford advertising ideas as great and a well thought out initiative...only to get shot down by bogans who still think people only see adds of TV. SO I DID A POLL. Shock horror.....next to zero people bar the ussual trolls agreed they a NEVER watch TV adds.
Fords alternative and modern advertising schemes are working. People just take their hate out on ford because the falcon is a priority anymore. Harsh reality.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
This is great news, Ford wanting to sponsor one of the biggest events of the year. You know, sponsor as in market product lines etc...
Wow...so uneducated it hurts my eyes.....
Old 19-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going out with a bang!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Wow...so uneducated it hurts my eyes.....
Wish to explain how im un-educated for saying its good that ford want to sponsor and with that promote/market products during one of the biggest events of the year?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My first thought was that they should put a Falcon logo on the bridge in 2016. In all seriousness though, I think it's actually not a bad move. A lot of potential, Ford have a pretty good record of not utilising promotional potential very well though.
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Not sure how I feel about it given I get a bit fired up about the NYE fireworks every year. Personally I reckon they are quite possibly THE biggest waste of money in the country, far too many things that need it a lot more than a bunch of hippy cardigan wearing cider drinking iPhone filing twats sitting on the banks of a harbour going "ooooo look Janice the colours how pretty"
Old 19-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wish to explain how im un-educated for saying its good that ford want to sponsor and with that promote/market products during one of the biggest events of the year?
For STARTERS, you DIDN'T resort to using ANY CAPS LOCK anywhere in your post.

Funny thing is, I thought IT WAS one of the RARE TIMES you guys were AGREEING.

Would be a good way to promote the new Falcon if they did the XR hockey stick driving lights on the bridge
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post

Would be a good way to promote the new Falcon if they did the XR hockey stick driving lights on the bridge
Imagine if it was a start of a last falcon memorabilia campaign...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #19
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure you don't want me to just leave it at that.....just lay some random un warranted comment at you.....disrespect your opinion......nah I'll leave at that. See how you like it for a change.

All I ever do is stick up for ford and their products yet you seem to fire shots unwarranted. So don't get me wrong....I LOVE the idea of this yet ANOTHER unique new way that ford shows it's brand.
Old 19-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #20
Ruination

They could of done worse....
Too late, they sponsored the "Bachelor"

The Ford Australia Marketing team need to be axed.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Are you sure you don't want me to just leave it at that.....just lay some random un warranted comment at you.....disrespect your opinion......nah I'll leave at that. See how you like it for a change.

All I ever do is stick up for ford and their products yet you seem to fire shots unwarranted. So don't get me wrong....I LOVE the idea of this yet ANOTHER unique new way that ford shows it's brand.
huh?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone is arguing whether or not this is a good marketing idea, and I am just sitting here thinking this news report is pathetic because they try to put down Ford Australia by saying that the Raptor and the F150 are gas guzzlers. They use the term "4.6km per litre of fuel" even though no one uses that way to measure fuel use in Australia.
They probably couldn't figure out how to convert MPG into L/100kms after typing 'Ford Gas Guzzlers" into Google
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #23
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Everyone is arguing whether or not this is a good marketing idea, and I am just sitting here thinking this news report is pathetic because they try to put down Ford Australia by saying that the Raptor and the F150 are gas guzzlers. They use the term "4.6km per litre of fuel" even though no one uses that way to measure fuel use in Australia.
They probably couldn't figure out how to convert MPG into L/100kms after typing 'Ford Gas Guzzlers" into Google
I was more confused about the fact they used vehicles that Ford Aus doesn't market to try and make them sound bad.
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
I'd be more worried at the fact that they aren't even sold here

Not like they are even meant to be fuel misers, but even then, the best a F-150 4WD combined usage is 13.07 L/100km and the raptor is 18.09 L/100km combined.

Or about the same as a Toyota land Cruiser 200 series...

Not that "guzzling" really considering what they are.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #25
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
They could of done worse....
Too late, they sponsored the "Bachelor"

The Ford Australia Marketing team need to be axed.
Yes a show viewed by 20 something females, who are in the prime demographic to buy

Fiesta

Ecosport

Focus

Kuga

It seems that ford can do no right here, if any advertising doesn't have a falcon doing a bogan burnout then they are wasting money!
Heres a tip, Ford AU are loosing money on every falcon they make, they aren't going to use their resources to push out cars they cant sell, then advertise them at a discount to loose MORE money, think about it.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 19-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #26
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Yes a show viewed by 20 something females, who are in the prime demographic to buy

Fiesta

Ecosport

Focus

Kuga

It seems that ford can do no right here, if any advertising doesn't have a falcon doing a bogan burnout then they are wasting money!
Heres a tip, Ford AU are loosing money on every falcon they make, they aren't going to use their resources to push out cars they cant sell, then advertise them at a discount to loose MORE money, think about it.
Not even what I was implying.
Have you seen their Focus tv ad? Their Kuga tv Ad?
They are terrible, as a consumer they don't make myself, or my partner want to buy either.

The only Tv ad that even does anything good for the car from the Ford line, is the Ranger.

Also going on to the Bachelor, its not doing too well in the ratings apparently.

My only gripe is Ford's lack of online coverage. Not to mention their facebook page consists of ecosport "discoveries" and footy related junk.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #27
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
I'd be more worried at the fact that they aren't even sold here

Not like they are even meant to be fuel misers, but even then, the best a F-150 4WD combined usage is 13.07 L/100km and the raptor is 18.09 L/100km combined.

Or about the same as a Toyota land Cruiser 200 series...

Not that "guzzling" really considering what they are.
Which was why I made the comment on the story to point that out.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
When you've got a vehicle that weighs around 2 tonnes which cuts through the air with the grace of an appartment complex are you really concerned with fuel usage?

Its expected isn't it?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 02:39 AM   #29
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
Not even what I was implying.
Have you seen their Focus tv ad? Their Kuga tv Ad?
They are terrible, as a consumer they don't make myself, or my partner want to buy either.

The only Tv ad that even does anything good for the car from the Ford line, is the Ranger.

Also going on to the Bachelor, its not doing too well in the ratings apparently.

My only gripe is Ford's lack of online coverage. Not to mention their facebook page consists of ecosport "discoveries" and footy related junk.
But the thing is your WHOLE comment is subjective to personnel tastes. I like the adds...so does my wife. We like the voice adds that they're a sponsor for aswell.
Maybe it's your overall attitude......if you think something is going to suck.....then it probably will......for you. I have friends who have seen advertisements and asked me......so I gave them some extra info I know of and they went down and got a few focuses and a terry respectively.
Not everyone has the same tastes.....