Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
snozzau
Starter Motor

Default Hi Flow Cat

People,
Once and for all can somebody set me straight on if I have to change to a hiflow cat when if I add extractors and a 2 1/2 ïnch sports system.
Some exhaust places say the standard cat flows fine while others insist if I dont change the cat I am wasting my time and money on the extractors.
I am only changing to extractors to try and increase my fuel economy.
Thanks All,
Snoz

snozzau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It depends on the condition of the cat.

If the cat's OK, just get them to widen the entry/exit from 2" to 2.5" (they basically cut back into the cat a little bit to do this). If your cat is stuffed, then get a new one.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 30-01-2006 at 05:32 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

The standard cat is meant to flow ok from what I am aware.

I replaced mine for the hell of it. I believe JMM introduced a higher flowing cat to their range of products but before this it wasn't a must have thing. The standard one should be right.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
xr8ute
Back on the road

As has been said, by most reports the stock cat is OK for a mild 4.0L.

JC makes a very good point though, make sure the flanges they weld onto the cat are full 2.5" internal diameter.

I had some new cats made up for my exhaust with supposedly 2.5" flanges, but when i checked the rears where not quite 2.1". No big drama, just a pain in the ИИИИ to check and grind back out to the correct size.

This is more important for you i6 guys becuase you've got all 4.0L of exhaust going through the same cat.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
hambo_12

Yeah, spoke to JMM who just said to cut the ends off and weld 2 1/2 inch pipes on the ends, they told me a hiflow cat will not be as strong as the ford one, and not flow that much better to notice the difference...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #6
Tri Power 289
Back in the Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzau
People,
Once and for all can somebody set me straight on if I have to change to a hiflow cat when if I add extractors and a 2 1/2 ïnch sports system.
Some exhaust places say the standard cat flows fine while others insist if I dont change the cat I am wasting my time and money on the extractors.
I am only changing to extractors to try and increase my fuel economy.
Thanks All,
Snoz
I have fitted DiFillipo extractors and Hi Flow cat to my AU XR6 but kept the standard exhaust because I don't like loud sixes and I can tell you, I am paying the price.
It has made no noticeable difference to the economy or power.

But gee it looks good under the bonnet now!!

To get the full advantage, you really need to do the whole lot.
I am investigating a way to get a "quiet" performance exhaust.
70 Mustang Mach1 351 4V/Shaker Auto

Previous forum rides:
XH Falcon Ute 4.0 Auto
BF XR8 5.4 Manual
'88 60 Series Landcruiser Turbo Diesel.
Komatsu 830E Haul Pac- 2500hp, 165tonnes.
AUIII XR6 HP: Prepared by Aussie Car Enhancements & Custom Tuned by Blue Power to a record setting 14.22@96mph.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V :Unfinished business.
Tri Power 289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 02:26 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

More mufflers = quiet. Easy.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Power 289
I have fitted DiFillipo extractors and Hi Flow cat to my AU XR6 but kept the standard exhaust because I don't like loud sixes and I can tell you, I am paying the price.

Yeah ive got JMM extractors, and have a 2 1/2 exhaust, with a single muffler and rear resonator. Not loud at all, which is what I wanted, just a tough sound...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Power 289

I went through that when 1st having the extractor system & redback 2.5 pipes fitted but kept the orginal cat. I thought it was to loud after driving in a car that was like a libery inside. I got the exhaust guy to make it quiter so he modified my stock rear muffler to fit back up. I regreted it after nearly 12 months & others bagging me on the unusual sound : . So I took it back & had the rear stocky removed & a hotdog fitted & have no complaints now with the exhaust note plus the car gets better ks out of the tank & sounds as if it revs out better.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post