Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #31
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Re: Mustang more popular than the Falcon

IMO, the Stang will sell well in Oz and NZ. Both nations of rev heads. (Not thousands per month, but a steady trickle)

There will be an initial surge which will then settle at a handful per month. That won't matter as the cost of getting the car here will be very little.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #32
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

With the amount of people wanting a falcon coupe....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #33
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
Mustang - yeah, meh
Falcon - f### yeah. Fully loaded (i.e. standard) FGX XR8 will do just fine, thank you.
If you had a FG11 GT, F6 or last XR8 a mustang would be back trading. Will be interesting to see what models we get here dont be suprised if we only get the basic units.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #34
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
If you had a FG11 GT, F6 or last XR8 a mustang would be back trading. Will be interesting to see what models we get here dont be suprised if we only get the basic units.
But considering the basic GT mustang out specs the falcon. . .
Old 13-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #35
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
But considering the basic GT mustang out specs the falcon. . .
The falcon spec blower or turbo is missing and to me thats the most important spec the other stuff is well just stuff to keep the kids amused.......

Lotus Exige S/C S240

Quote:
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 13-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #36
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A 2015 Mustang GT with PP as standard is back trading
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
Bowser22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
I just hope this new Mustang doesn't end up with sales like the Monaro.

ie/ sales went off with a bang, then sort of disappeared into nothing.
I am struggling to remember the last time I saw a late model Monaro on the roads
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #38
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
A 2015 Mustang GT with PP as standard is back trading
So this PP pack we are definately getting that model here? N/A 5.0L? Does it come standard with a PD blower or TT setup to out perform the local product in standard guise? or is (PP spec) to keep the kids happy with gadgets?
If your buying a performance car the main ingredient is performance IMO the Blown XR8 will eat a N/A mustang even with (PP)

Lotus Exige S/C S240

Quote:
Old 13-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #39
Rastas

Quote:
So this PP pack we are definately getting that model here? N/A 5.0L? Does it come standard with a PD blower or TT setup to out perform the local product in standard guise? or is (PP spec) to keep the kids happy with gadgets?
If your buying a performance car the main ingredient is performance IMO the Blown XR8 will eat a N/A mustang even with (PP)
All Mustangs comeing here (EB included) will be kitted out with PP and LP (Luxury pack) .
OH and whilst it should be close, the 5.0 Mustang is expected to out accelerate a Miami Falcon (stock of course).
0-100 times around 4.1 secs for this Stang!
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #40
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
And then the corners

Sorry but the falcon won't have anything on the stang except rolling acceleration and being able to mod it straight out of the box (voiding warranties). If only we see some ford racing parts. And I would be very surprised if we don't see a high performance model here, (more than a GT with PP)
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #41
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
OH and whilst it should be close, the 5.0 Mustang is expected to out accelerate a Miami Falcon (stock of course).
The 2014 model's 0-100 time is 4.5 seconds already. The new 5.0L Mustang with more power should be a rocket for your money if FoA price it under 60k (which they should).
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #42
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
All Mustangs comeing here (EB included) will be kitted out with PP and LP (Luxury pack) .
Are you sure that's 4.1 to 100 kmh or is it 4.1 to 60 miles per hour?
Also normally the American figures are with 1 foot of rollout. ie the time is measured after the car has moved 1 foot.

Take account of these two points and you're likely looking at a 4.6 time to 100 kmh for the same car tested under equal conditions in Australia, I'd say.

I suspect the Mustang might launch better than the XR8, but I'm thinking that it may not quite match the XR8's rolling pace on temporary overboost.
I guess we will just have to wait and see.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #43
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
The 2014 model's 0-100 time is 4.5 seconds already. The new 5.0L Mustang with more power should be a rocket for your money if FoA price it under 60k (which they should).
If that 4.5 (0-100 kmh) time is the time from 1 foot to 100 kmh, I'd say think around 4.7 to 4.8 seconds for an equivalent Australian test that doesn't have the 1 foot rollout.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #44
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I calculated that we pay around 1.7 times of USA price so GT Stang should be around 62k locally - it will be interesting to see the actual pricing .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #45
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
I calculated that we pay around 1.7 times of USA price so GT Stang should be around 62k locally - it will be interesting to see the actual pricing .
To be honest, with the spec level that the Aussie version will be, that price would be where I would expect it to be.

You cant just look at the US prices and expect them to be similar in Australia. Those dirt cheap US prices are for bare bones, povo pack models (even with the desirable V8) that the aussie market would turn their nose up at for lacking equipment (some already do this towards the Falcon as it is.)

In the US, the Mustang is sold quite remarkably on volume, for Australia, the Mustang will be treated as a Flagship and aspirational model and the price will reflect this.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2014, 09:22 PM   #46
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

If anyone is surprised by this then you really dont know you're cars. Falcon is largely just a family taxi, while Mustang is a hero car. And its a global one at that, even people who dont give a **** about cars know what a Mustang is.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2014, 02:35 AM   #47
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

This thread is starting to show who are FORD fans and who are falcon fans.

the mustang will be a far superior performance car then the falcon. Its a built as a sports car.. unlike the falcon which is a family sedan with a big engine added to make it a performance vehicle.

the last gen model GT beat or at least came very close to beating the V8 M3 coupe around a track, something the falcon would have now chance in doing in stock form as the mustang did.

Next minute these falcon fans will say the FGX XR8 / FPV GT/F6 are better performance cars then the Ford GT.

Dont get me wrong, the falcon is a solid car, but the mustang will take it to the next level performance wise.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #48
99AUXR
Brad

^ This and I can't wait for 2015/16 Fun future ahead of us, especially with the bolt ons available for the mustangs out of the US. However I don't want to trade the F6 she's a keeper.
Old 14-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #49
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I'd have a Hot Falcon over Mustang any day of the week, but since I'm a Ford fan not just a Falcon fan the Mustang fills the void left by Falcon perfectly.
Now having the coin to own one that's a different story.
Old 14-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #50
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Could someone explain what "should sell well" actually means in terms of units forecast? Is it 10/month, 50/month, 100/month... Whilst it is a hero cult car, in practical terms it is a very small market that is being targeted.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #51
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

For me I'm more of a Falcon fan than a Ford Fan, but I acknowledge that the Mustang will be a better performance tool a Falcon could or has ever been.

The new one is lighter with better weight distribution and has been designed as a performance car right from the start unlike high performance Falcons/Commodores and the other modern US muscle cars (Camaro ect) which are based on large sedans.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
I just hope this new Mustang doesn't end up with sales like the Monaro.

ie/ sales went off with a bang, then sort of disappeared into nothing.

Have they released where Ford are building these Mustangs yet?

Should they limit how many they import per month to 1000? or should they go gang busters and flood the market?
Flat Rock plant in Michigan. US production started a couple of weeks ago, with LHD export production starting mid next year.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post