Default How do you prepare your car for a road trip

Hi

Has anyone got list of how to prepare a car for long trips to do a long trip

car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How do you prepare your car for a road trip

Hi. A well maintained car, check the tyres, lights and wipers. Fill the washer bottle, check oil and coolant. Pump up tyres about 4-6 psi above normal the night before and fill with fuel. Get in and drive it like you stole it. A poorly maintained car, same as above but also check brakes, all hoses and drive belt. Change oil and filter, change wiper blades. Drive easy till lunch time then if nothing has fallen off start driving like you stole it. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

My cars are always ready for a long trip as they're serviced regularly so all I do is give the fluids a quick once over, make sure the tyre pressures are right, fill 'er up and go.

Occasionally there's little niggly wear and tear issues, usually electrical, like a window switch needs pulling and cleaning up again or the occasional dash light or some such thing, and they'll get sorted in the days before we leave but otherwise, get in it and drive it some more.
The only variable, that I usually do on the road, and because it's a pet hate of mine, is adjust the headlights to the optimum position for the load I'm carrying. There's nothing worse than being dazzled by low beams because the driver is too lazy, stupid or ignorant to adjust them once they've loaded up the rear of the vehicle.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Bag of lime and a shovel
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

If you are doing big K's & long duration then a car service is recommended, I did a trip last year 12,500k's.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Depends on how you usually look after your car.

My 20 year old XG just did 3000kms to Qld and back, preperation was check tyre pressure, oil and water.
Chuck a tool box in the back along with a tow rope and 5L of water ( I know it's a Ford, but just in case eh!)
Old 27-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
290v
290v

Check Oil ,Coolant,washer bottle, Tyre pressures, Spare tyre, clean K&N air filter ,put polish on bonnet but don't rub off fit car bra,put CD in the car for when radio is out of rang's fill the fuel Tank
Old 27-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Taking spare water, and some basic tools. And having a good spare is good. Also if your battery is fairly old buy a newy. Tunes too.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my limos are pretty well kept, day trips = tyres and fluid levels, it has no leaks and im so confident with my old falcon and i carry zero tools.
week or month trips towing the van it goes up on blocks for an intensive inspection and pre service.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #10
hedgehobb

Wallet, check.
Keys, check.

Off I go.
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Every 2 years I dust my ute off and let XFT do a service and check over. Then I get in and drive to AFF Drags. Do anywhere from 9000 to 15000k with a lazy 500kw and 20psi boost no problems. Modern cars are great.
So I would recommend a service and maybe a wheel alignment if you have not done one for a while. And of course tyres etc in good nick.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
marcyeo

Definitely emphasize the car bra - the amount of dead bugs, filth and the number of stone chips my previous ride had sustained really made the money on the carbra well worth it..

Lots of entertainment for the kids (Ipad holder anyone?), and if travelling with a buddy or 2 cars - walkie talkies!

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
anolade
trigger happy

I just check the waters and oils, make sure the spare is ready to use and make sure the load is properly strapped and loaded so weight is close to balanced
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Not much that hasn't been covered here.

Here's one that catches people out. Inspect your spare. If its not good, replace (more than 4 years old is the recommendation from tyre manufacturers).

Its good now or even more important if it is OK and you know it, take to your local servo, READ the tyre and find its Maximum inflation PSI and inflate to said pressure. Even more important if you have a tyre that has been sitting for more than a year. Better to let air out in the middle of nowhere than trying to put it back in!

Also check the battery, top up with De-mineralised water.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Yes to all of the above.

Tool wise I pack a 3/8 drive socket set, screwdriver set, pliers, metrinch spanner kit, spare drive belt/s, spare upper/lower rad hoses + clamps, 5l oil, fuse pack, spare relays suitable for fans + headlights, jumper leads, test light, torch, rigger's gloves, 2 rolls of toilet paper, some rags and overalls.

This all fits neatly in the glovebox and behind/under the seats in my ute.

Also a 10l plastic jerry can of fuel and 10l plastic jerry can of water in the back of the ute. You may think 10l of water is a bit much, but you may need it for drinking if you get stuck for a while - depends where you're going. As I've got a ute I toss a 2nd spare tyre in the tray. I also carry a pick handle on the parcel shelf in easy reach - just in case I have to club something.

If you're not with Telstra, I recommend you buy a prepaid Telstra sim card and make sure it works with your phone - ie that your phone is not locked to another network. Telstra by far has the greatest coverage. No good sitting on the side of the road with a you beaut smartphone and a Vodafone sim with as much reach as a toothpick.

I might be sounding a little rectal with the kit I pack on long trips. I plan for the worse and hope for the best. Help can be a long way away, being stuck sucks, being prepared can save you a lot of time and grief.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And don't forget to check the oil AFTER your first day driving. The long run will burn off all the moisture in the oil making the level appear to have dropped dramatically, especially if you only do short suburban runs normally.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Servicing your Ford on time using quality products, driving to the conditions & replacing any defective parts asap before any journey will help ensure you make it to your destination with no problems.

Its all in the preparation for the trip & to a lesser extent how you drive on the trip, but you can never really rule out murphy's law striking in the most inopportune time now can you!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends where and how far I'm going. I've just got back from a trip to the Dig Tree and Innamincka. First off, forget about mobile reception, there isn't any most of the time in those places. I've got a mobile antenna on the RTV and both mobiles still had no signal most of the time. Get a Sat phone if you're overly concerned, they're not all that expensive.
I check everything before I go but still developed a serious knock in the front suspension after some serious corrugations and bulldust.
From years of doing RACQ breakdown callouts, 2 problems seem to be most common, tyres and overheating, particularly in the warmer months.
Lots of flat batteries in vehicles with car fridges but that is entirely avoidable.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Just to add to my above post 6....

Just come back from a 1000km round trip to Melb and back in 13 hrs.

Preparation was as before, but of course being a Falcon (albeit an old one) I had no problems and great fuel economy
Old 29-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I drove Geelong-Singleton-Geelong in June with two full days in Singo celebrating.

My preparation: service car (50,000km overdue, yes, 50,000)
Fill with fuel
Start driving at 12.15pm, arrive at 11.40pm

Drink

Drink

Start driving at 7.15am

Pull in driveway at 6.16pm

I know I deserved a worse fate but that the reliable old EL monty for ya.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the time I do a reasonable drive, nothing :P I try and keep on top of everything, so in theory it should all be sweet.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #22
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I take a basic tool box, small jump starter/air compressor, water and always make sure tyres are in good nick and around 40psi.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

2024 Subaru Outback Touring XT

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #23
strobe

Depends on the car. If it was the XR8, I'd fuel up, maybe check the tyre pressure and go. If it was the Alfa, I'd chuck the missus the keys, wave good bye and catch a taxi to the airport. At least I'd know I'd get there then, plus I'd have a couple of days peace and quiet.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did just under 10,000km in 11 driving days in June in a $250 EL Wagon. Newcastle- Perth 3 1/2 days. 1 1/2 days off then back in it to Darwin via Meekathara, Marble Bar, Broome, Gibb River Rd, Katherine and Darwin. I put it on the train in Darwin and got it back off in Adelaide before driving straight back to Newcastle. I gave it an oil change before leaving and had the gearbox serviced. I took a spare belt, fuel pump, dizzy, tyres, fuel filter but didn't use any of them. The poor old girl still has her tongue hanging out!!

At the end of the day if you keep your car maintained and don't push it past its limits it should be fine to go most places without much trouble.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Lately (re last 4 years or so) Ive done Brisbane to Albury return. Sometimes ill do it in one go others top over night.
Leave 3am arrive 9.30-10pm

Seen as the cars ive done it in are less than 3 years old i didnt really do much apart from check fluids like oil, water and washer (More so now with head light washers) and tyre pressures although this car has TPMS

Pack car, fill with fuel and away i go.

I tend not to eat a lot when i do said trip either, i dont know why. I do drink fluids but.

Only done it once there and back in one go. Now im single the trip will be by myself. Not that i care though.
Will be doing said trip very soon.

Nothing better than open road, music pumping cruising along. Sometimes its all it takes for me take take my mind away from everything.
Soz for the little off topic.

Last edited by DJM83; 29-09-2014 at 04:38 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #26
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Wash and vacuum car. University tests prove that washed and vacuumed cars go 10% faster than dirty cars filled with Maccas wrappers on holiday trips.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote