Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
laybourne

Question AU Stereos/IPODS etc.

Is it better to have a CD stacker in the boot, or just buy an original CD player Head unit of Ford origin, as in the Ghias, and have it fitted properly. I can't manage the steering wheel remote wiring, it's too much.
Also, Can you buy AU stereo facias that you can mount a flash stereo system in, that fits in place of the original one?-will they work with the steering wheel remotes (seek and tune buttons). I have a tape deck in mine, and have been told to get an IPOD with ITRIP to play music on. It seems a bit fiddly to me, what do you lot think, all I want is a better sound system.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

if you want a better sound system, dont use an iTrip. aside from that, upgrading everything will give you better sound. but im the worst person to ask about systems.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better Sound System:

All new speakers
1 x 4 Channel Amp
Pioneer/Alpine Headunit
iPod Adapter
Steering Wheel Control Adapter

Should cost you around $1000-1500, but it will be bloody good.

And you can get headunits to look and flow well with the AU dashs. Do a search, all been discussed before including pictures.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
elusiver
Starter Motor

i got an fm transmitter for my ipod. 3 reasons for this. I didn't want to buy a new headunit as it's mainly used as the mrs daily driver. i couldn't be bothered installing the headunit as it's just the mrs daily driver. and last but not least i was abit worried about the 'security' issues i've been reading about on the forum regarding the au's, and I couldn't be bothered installing an alarm as well. all in all... you could just say I'm lazy.

The fm transmitter i got was made by a company called cygnett.. i got that one cause it's got a rechargable battery so i don't always have to have the cig lighter plugged in and/or carry spare AAA batteries. It works.. OK.. not the best to be honest with you. Finding a completely clear frequency can be abit of a pain(who knew there were so many damn radio stations?!) If you want a serious sound system.. don't go this way.. but.. if you just want mp3 capabilities to upgrade you stock CD player(or in my case cassette tape) then it does it's job.

el
elusiver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

You can now buy a cd player that has a USB port on the front face so you can plug it right in and away you go!
Old 03-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
anarchyok

I bought an Itrip and quite frankly it sucked. I bought a Sony headunit for $263 on sale (normally $460ish) which had an AUX input, and i run a cable from it to the ipod - day and night difference to the itrip. Also installed some sony 6x9s in the back and am satisfied with the sound - decent bass without being doof doof (i listen to rock after all). Mate whose amped and subbed his car was annoyed that mine was a much better sound for well under half the cost. Be aware that the ipod adaptors for Pioneer and Kenwood are well over $100.... I'm using a $6 cable with the Sony...
anarchyok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you want to keep a Ford head unit, then about the only way to effectively hook up the iPod is to use an FM modulator - similar to the FM transmitter except that it is hard wired, and most have a switch so you can turn it on/off, as well as 5 different frequencies to choose from. I have one in my XR8 (AIWA, I think) and I use it for my XBox - it is actually quite good sound, with no static, or interference.

Also, if you have an AU1, I have a standard CD player unit out of my XR8 for sale if you want it. The last one I sold on ebay for $170 (AU2 CD/Tape), so I was thinking $150 odd including postage and it's yours. It works and comes with security code - I replkaced it with in Dash DVD/MP3 player for my kids (oh, OK, and me!!).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #8
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have tried it all.
Wireless FM Modulator - Sucked.
Hard Wired FM modulator - Sucked.
Pioneer Deck with MP3 Compatibility - AWESOME.

My problem with the modulators was that im located in sydney and there are just too many radio stations broadcasting.

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
laybourne

Thanks for that. I am interested in the CD Player, but do you realise I live in NZ? Not really a biggy nowdays with internet banking etc/ and couriers. Perhaps you could send a picture of the unit to me just so I know I'm on the right track. I have a 1991 AU, so I guess thats an AU1. laybourne@xtra.co.nz.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #10
laybourne

...er, thats 1999. Typo.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybourne
Thanks for that. I am interested in the CD Player, but do you realise I live in NZ? Not really a biggy nowdays with internet banking etc/ and couriers. Perhaps you could send a picture of the unit to me just so I know I'm on the right track. I have a 1991 AU, so I guess thats an AU1. laybourne@xtra.co.nz.
I didn't know you were in Un Zud, but I guess it shouldn't be much hassle sending it across. I'll get a pic to you some time today.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 04-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Pic is included in the For Sale ad for my radio. Click on the link:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=32294

Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
laybourne

HI there. Yep, I'd like to buy that CD from you. You will need to contact me by email so I can direct credit your account, or as you require.

Please state 'CD player' in subject line so I don't delete your message.

The post office can sell those fancy boxes to ship it, so I will need a price for that if you can. I can't get one of these players in NZ as they are an "accessary" and are obsolete!

laybourne@xtra.co.nz
Old 06-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

email sent - item is now on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
InSinR8

Just My 2c but I went out and got a Eclipse CD8445 and had them cable a connection to the centre console. Now I have the best of both worlds, If I havent got all my cds with me I punch in my Zen Micro and the quality is brilliant.

If your going for an FM transmitter, do your homework, as many ppl I know have bought one and found that all the frequencies are way too close to radio stations in NSW :-(
InSinR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
laybourne

...well, in the end folks I got a Pioneer 12 disc stacker off TRADE-ME (like E-bay) for 150 bucks. Installed it and works like a little ripper. Good enough for the small amount of Ozzy my wife lets me listen too; suppose a 12 stacker full of metal could be annoying to a country western lover!!.
Old 28-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Tape deck

If you have a tape deck in your car use the Sony casssate adapter! It plugs into the i-Pod and sounds great and doesn't use batteries! Its also cheaper and more reliable!
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #18
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
If you have a tape deck in your car use the Sony casssate adapter! It plugs into the i-Pod and sounds great and doesn't use batteries! Its also cheaper and more reliable!
I was just about to mention the same thing. You can get any tape adapter from your local shop. You can pick one up for $15 at BigW or for $25 with a car charge with different heads.

Really, they sound 10 times better than fm transmitters.