Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Spinner77

Default RACV Insurance - Interesting question asked

Wife just had a minor bingle on the way to work. A young plumber in his boss's van ran into her side mirror - he had loaded the vehicle so that he could only use his side mirror to see, and had veered into her lane. A bit shaken, but she is fine.

Arriving at work, she went straight into the RACV insurance website, in case she had to make a claim (by the sound of it, I doubt it will be necessary). But what she found in the electronic claims form was interesting.

There is a question whether she had consumed any alcohol in the last 24 hours. 'Yes' or 'No'. No space for comment. So if she had a glass of wine with dinner last night, she would have to answer 'yes', to comply with the contract - even though the blood alcohol level would be zero.

RACV's question must have a purpose. Otherwise it would not be there. It must be some kind of factor in assessing the claim. Anyone here know how it is used?

Or is this a new instance of Victoria's fabled wowserism? This is after all, the Australian home of the dry, pub-free suburb!
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: RACV Insurance - Interesting question asked

ALL insurers ask that and have done for many years.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spent most of working life in the insurance business. I have never found an insurer that asks relevant and or intelligent questions.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke View Post
I spent most of working life in the insurance business. I have never found an insurer that asks relevant and or intelligent questions.
Yep....

"Have you been declined insurance for any reason from another insurer?"

I have when I had the Festiva - some didn't like the fancy paint.

Buy a new car and did my insurance again / said no to this question.. I'm sure if I had said yes it would have been declined as well.

Alcohol.. what is it their business if you had a glass of wine or beer the day / night before??

How can this info be used in any way after the event? It can't be tested for and it is not against the law to have a drink.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Soy sauce is 3.9% alcohol by volume, I guess that means people need to be very careful with what Asian foods and condiments they consume, would not want to be an insurance risk.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Soy sauce is 3.9% alcohol by volume
And for the Lemon, Lime and Bitters drinkers Angostura bitters is 44.7% alcohol by volume.
Old 26-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why would you answer yes. How would they know otherwise?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This question is used for further questions down the track if the claim is to be investigated. Also it will be used to see if a claim needs potential investigation, they will look at the total claim and work out indicators, usually 3 or more means we would take another look at the claim in closer detail.

When working in claims we used to do a thing call a 12 hour statement. Basically asked what the person was doing 12 hours prior, if you felt you needed more than 12 hours you could ask. We would ask details such as places they have been, who they were with, what time they left the house went to bed and such. (Not all claims we asked this only certain claims)

Then we would use these questions to match up phone call records and such, witness statements, ask the insured further questions later on down the track to confirm movements and such and the private investigator could use this information also.
xisled is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2015, 07:34 AM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Why would you answer yes. How would they know otherwise?
Disclosure?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Spinner77

Thank you, Xisled.

Very interesting. Good to know.

Fair question, Bossxr.

Unless you have a smart Samsung TV!

However I cannot imagine any Australian company trawling through your conversations via Nuance's speech recognition records. Can you?

That would be un-Australian, right?

This is a free country. Correct?
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post