Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #61
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: New engine dodgey engine number????

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso View Post
No fishing trip, they are really nice people, while there is no number in the usual place there is a barcode number also on the block at rear of the engine and the number tallies with my receipt and Holden Dealership confirmed this......all sorted and as I said they are a good mob!
Good that you have proof of engine number, however this may not be the end of the problem. It's a requirement that engine numbers are stamped into the block.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #62
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Good that you have proof of engine number, however this may not be the end of the problem. It's a requirement that engine numbers are stamped into the block.

Incorrect, barcode number also on the block at rear of the engine is sufficient along with the receipt from the Mechanic.

You do not have to have stamped engine number.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #63
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

What happens when the bar code sticker peels off or lost through a steam clean?

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #64
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
What happens when the bar code sticker peels off or lost through a steam clean?
Was thinking the very same thing....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 11:27 PM   #65
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

From Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 S.R. No. 118/2009:
A motor vehicle must have an individual engine identification number clearly stamped, embossed or otherwise permanently marked on it.

Regardless of this, the road authority/police etc. may question the defaced/unreadable engine number and could well be deemed unacceptable to them. Which is why this may not be the end of the problem.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #66
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

excerpt from ADR 61/02

Quote:
7. ENGINE NUMBER

7.1. An identification number must be legible and permanently stamped, cast, laser engraved or a combination of these upon the main component of the engine at the time of its manufacture and such number must be located where it can be seen when the engine is installed in the motor vehicle. The requirement for the identification number to be seen is deemed to be satisfied if:

7.1.1. the engine number can be viewed without the need to remove any vehicle components; or

7.1.2. any vehicle components that need to be removed for the engine number to be viewed can be removed using simple hand tools; or

7.1.3. the engine number is repeated on a supplementary label placed in a conspicuous position in the engine compartment. The label material and printing thereon must be adequately durable for the environment in which the label is located.

The label shall also be impervious to all fluids and vapours to which it is likely to be exposed in normal vehicle operation and maintenance. The label shall not be removable other than by its destruction.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #67
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Can anyone tell me where the engine number is on a diesel Territory? Or an ecoboost 2.0 Kuga?
If you're going to tell me it's under the engine cover on the Territory you are incorrect.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #68
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Well at least I know what the engine number is and that it corresponds with the number on my receipt. The guy did say that the engine number is on there but I'd need to remove a pulley to read it, which I intend doing.....at this point I am happy that I've got the engine i paid for. The Holden dealership was not bothered by the lack of engine number stamp on the block and said that it doesn't look like it has been machined off, in fact he went straight to the rear of the engine saying "there should also be a bar code here with the engine number" and he was right. If however it requires a stamp I will have to get it done.

I am inclined to think that a mere barcode sticker is insufficient and that a dot matrix stamp should be on the block........as said before, what if the sticker falls off???

Last edited by muso; 14-04-2015 at 12:24 AM.
muso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #69
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

If as said it's stamped behind a pulley. It's annoying, but meets the rules (7.1.2) I posted above.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #70
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Not sure where you are or what happens in other states but in Victoria you are simply issued a new engine number by VicRoads.
Or you can jump up and down and start writing letters in crayon to Holden. Remember to use capitals ok.

Crayons and Capitals
Old 14-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #71
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Can anyone tell me where the engine number is on a diesel Territory? Or an ecoboost 2.0 Kuga?
If you're going to tell me it's under the engine cover on the Territory you are incorrect.
It's definitely under the engine cover on the Territory!!!!

Sorry just kidding Top I wouldn't know......but seriously a Ford dealership may be able to help.
Old 15-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #72
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso View Post
It's definitely under the engine cover on the Territory!!!!

Sorry just kidding Top I wouldn't know......but seriously a Ford dealership may be able to help.

No I'm not looking for help to find them. It was a challenge to see if anyone actually knew where they are on these cars. I know where they are.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #73
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
No I'm not looking for help to find them. It was a challenge to see if anyone actually knew where they are on these cars. I know where they are.

Oh I see, fair enough
Old 15-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #74
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

I'd bet its his job to know where they are. And I'll bet they are permanently marked into the engine blocks by some means.

To the OP, are you notifying your road authority about the engine change?
Old 16-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #75
muso
Heinrich tuned 300 rwkws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I'd bet its his job to know where they are. And I'll bet they are permanently marked into the engine blocks by some means.

To the OP, are you notifying your road authority about the engine change?
Yes.........once I've located the stamped engine # myself! When I get a chance , at the moment it's very low priority with a sick wife.