Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 240kw S/C V6 AWD

Just had a conversation with one of my spies and either late this year or early next year there will be a $40k 240kw AWD S/C V6 with tiptronic 6 speed auto or 6 speed manual offered by

TOYOTA

This could be VERY interesting

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Heard the same story, Supercharged six with unbelivable power..

No figures yet tho.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

seriously wouldnt suprise me, they didnt build that supercharged camry and supercharged avalon ute concept machine for no reason.....

are they specs of that new aurion?
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Visited the motor show and as I was leaving had a person approach me and asked me 20 minutes worth of questions. She was very happy as I fitted her target audience to a T. The audience was of course large Australian 6 cylinder family cars. I think Toyota is serious about breaking into falcon/commonwhore market. Maybe they might get it right this time.

A few of the questions were around what I prefer, luxury of sportivo model etc. I said needs a supercharger/turbo option and either rwd or awd before I would consider it.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

AWD and those kw figures will certainly help. FWD and 190kw, no thanx. Will be interesting to see what sort of bodykit they come up with.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
rodderz

12 months time we might have some competition from the old boilers at the lights...lol
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

$40k, yeah right. AWD and supercharged for that money. You're kidding right. The crappy supercharged Camry they made last year didn't have much on it yet they still stated that it would be worth over 48K, even with FWD. More likely similar to XR6T price, but maybe not with AWD. I don't think Toyota even have an AWD version of the Camry on sale anywhere in the world.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
$40k, yeah right. AWD and supercharged for that money. You're kidding right. The crappy supercharged Camry they made last year didn't have much on it yet they still stated that it would be worth over 48K, even with FWD. More likely similar to XR6T price, but maybe not with AWD. I don't think Toyota even have an AWD version of the Camry on sale anywhere in the world.
Timetravel to July 2002

Ford do not have a turbocharged RWD 6 cylinder car anywhere in the world, they will never bring one out and if they do it will be dearer than a V8.
There is no market for it..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
nb_351
building the xe...

and also, there was no 4wd commodore a few years ago... nothing to speak of... now look whats here, even the territory...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Aren't the Kluger, New Camry and Aurion all built on the same platform? Then, yes Toyota do have an AWD Aurion. As for $40k, it would have to be high 40's or low 50's. Otherwise they would have to be running pretty lean (or at a loss) compared to development/build costs per unit.
*edit* At that price point their up against the XR6T, pretty stiff competition!

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #11
YOOT
Banned

Sounds excellent, and it will be built a million times better than the Fords ever will. I'm in, I will never buy another Ford so I hope this is all true! :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Sounds excellent, and it will be built a million times better than the Fords ever will. I'm in, I will never buy another Ford so I hope this is all true! :
Will you be satisfied with 170 - 180 odd 4wkw? Not judging by your signiture....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
paulvdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Will you be satisfied with 170 - 180 odd 4wkw? Not judging by your signiture....
If the engine comes with 240KW and it's supercharged then a modicum of fiddling would improve the situation. Problem is, everything I've read say that Toyota Aus has only eyes for FWD. 240KW through FWD is going to be scary in the wet, and in the dry, and on the dirt, and going round roundabouts, and with a granny behind the wheel who's foot slips. What happens when she reaches into the bowls bag for the lippy and accidently presses the load pedal - whoops.
paulvdb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Supercharged V6? Yep. AWD? Absolutely no chance in hell.

A shame really because it would be a pretty compelling argument if they actually made one.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Just had a conversation with one of my spies and either late this year or early next year there will be a $40k 240kw AWD S/C V6 with tiptronic 6 speed auto or 6 speed manual offered by

TOYOTA

This could be VERY interesting
I'd believe it. I saw in a Motor/Wheels mag in the last year with a supercharged Camry V6 FWD. Don't know whatever came of it.....
Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll believe it when i see it.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Timetravel to July 2002

Ford do not have a turbocharged RWD 6 cylinder car anywhere in the world, they will never bring one out and if they do it will be dearer than a V8.
There is no market for it..........
But being a FWD car and only designed to be front wheel drive should rule out AWD. Unless Toyota are going to spend millions converted a FWD car to AWD. Its not as easy as making a turbo version of an existing engine, it will need some pretty major underbody work to fit the tailshaft and diff.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Aren't the Kluger, New Camry and Aurion all built on the same platform? Then, yes Toyota do have an AWD Aurion. As for $40k, it would have to be high 40's or low 50's. Otherwise they would have to be running pretty lean (or at a loss) compared to development/build costs per unit.
*edit* At that price point their up against the XR6T, pretty stiff competition!
The Kluger is built on a version of the Camry platform I think, but being much higher off the ground makes fitting a rear diff and tailshaft a lot easier. When you have a low passenger car ride height it brings the tailshaft and diff up into the floorpan.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
But being a FWD car and only designed to be front wheel drive should rule out AWD. Unless Toyota are going to spend millions converted a FWD car to AWD. Its not as easy as making a turbo version of an existing engine, it will need some pretty major underbody work to fit the tailshaft and diff.
the aurion is an all new car, how do you know it hasnt been fully designed to be an AWD car with base models front wheel drive?
although they were showing off the car at the motorshow they werent giving everything away either....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
the aurion is an all new car, how do you know it hasnt been fully designed to be an AWD car with base models front wheel drive?
although they were showing off the car at the motorshow they werent giving everything away either....
Cause its a Camry underneath, and the Camry is a global model, and AFAIK there is no AWD version anywhere else so based on that i'd assume there will be no AWD version.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

yes but there is a NEW camry due out around mid year on a completely seperate chassis to the one we have now, and will not share its shell/chassies with the US market and is built entirely in the altona plant in melb, the Aurion is based off that platform but is longer/wider and has a larger footprint over all, will have a quad cam 3.5L V6 running duel VVTI and pushing 190kw through the front wheels, there is a division of toyota opening up in the latter part of the year to compete with HSV/FPV/ and hot euros.
bringing along with it a supercharged verson of the corolla/camry and Aurion, i dont have confirmation on AWD but it is a huge possibility and has been talked alot in recent months as they have all the development nouse to pull it off and do it properly, (have a look at their awd line up), and being the richest car maker in the world atm i really cant see them not expanding into some neich markets to improve brand image.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #22
ba-xr8

i think thats what killed mitsubishi.. they needed to switch to rwd.. oh well.. or at least awd
ba-xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #23
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Unless it's AWD it will be a belly flop. Even with AWD, a 240kw supercharged toymota won't hurt XR6T sales too much I wouldn't think. It won't be able to touch it in the aftermarket world either...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post