Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia’s Best Driver’s Car Comp BUT the FGX XR8 blower failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Who's fault is it that the XR8 cannot be driven in the wet? The tests need to be centered around the Falcon? Please.

Herein lies the problem, every other car grew up but was still able to maintain some aggression/muscle, the Falcon stayed behind. The engine may be a gem (if the s/c can stay working) but the rest of the package appears to lag behind.
"Growing up" is a good term.

The days are long long gone of "muscle cars" as they were once understood...people want, and in the 21st century deserve performance cars, and "performance" doesn't just mean whack a stonking great engine in something and forget all the rest of the package. The public won't put up with something with a big engine but no sophistication or finesse.

It's also like an Asian restaurant...you can count on the fingers of one hand how many people in a week will order a really really stinking hot curry. Most people buy something mild, and even more buy something "tame". Some buy a super hot curry and regret it, attempting to force it down but really not enjoying it, while pretending to their friends that they're OK, they're really enjoying themselves, honest...but inside they honestly think they're about to die and are promising themselves they won't be so silly again.

However, the restaurants will keep making super hot curries for the small number who want them. But they know deep down they won't sell a lot, and some restaurants will know that a lot of buyers of the hot stuff will buy them even though they never have any intention of really enjoying it...they just like to pretend to their mates they do...
But occasionally along will come a connoisseur who is expecting a really hot item on the menu, who knows how to enjoy it properly, and tries it out happily...only to be disappointed and find the item has all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop...yes it's hot as hell, but it's obviously been slapped together by a chef who really hasn't tried hard enough...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 29-05-2015 at 10:06 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #32
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’m like most people and would rather live with something refined but I also love the occasional thrill of a Jungle Curry.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 11:49 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a supercharged monster is never going to be at its best in the wet, might as well just spray some teflon on the track.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 02:37 AM   #34
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Not sure what tyres the FGX comes with but if it had those factory Dunlops that the FG had well yeh no wonder it didn't handle great. Around Winton those Dunlops are 4 secs slower than a decent set.
I actually found the dunlops that came with mine very grippy. It now has achilles on the 20s and they feel like they are coated in oil hahah.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
a supercharged monster is never going to be at its best in the wet, might as well just spray some teflon on the track.
Other makers get away with extremely powerful blown engines that handle well in the wet or dry...

From everything I've read and heard, this seems to be an old fashioned muscle car...lots of power and torque, but no finesse...and that's so far behind the times it's not funny...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #36
Pilko FNQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
Yes spring coupling broke in mine. All fixed now.
So if the coupling spring breaks I assume there is no rotor damage just the pulley spinning and a mangled coupling sounding terrible and not transmitting drive. What would the cost of a new coupling and labour to repair be if this happened out of warranty ? Would replacing with an aftermarket snout for $1500 odd get you back on the road or is there more too this failure? Chris.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #37
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilko FNQ View Post
So if the coupling spring breaks I assume there is no rotor damage just the pulley spinning and a mangled coupling sounding terrible and not transmitting drive. What would the cost of a new coupling and labour to repair be if this happened out of warranty ? Would replacing with an aftermarket snout for $1500 odd get you back on the road or is there more too this failure? Chris.
I dunno about the Ford units, but the Sprintex superchargers use a teflon star shaped coupling in the snout which is a consumable/sacrificial part.

Costs 20 bucks and I can, (and have), fitted it on the side of the road with just a 6mm allen key.

So $1500 should be an extremely generous budget for this repair.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Other makers get away with extremely powerful blown engines that handle well in the wet or dry...

From everything I've read and heard, this seems to be an old fashioned muscle car...lots of power and torque, but no finesse...and that's so far behind the times it's not funny...
by all means .....please show us a comparable car on the same track with similar horses in the wet and comparable times, other than the holden variant.
Old 31-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #39
kempy311
BEN

They don't mess around changing the coupling they supply a whole new supercharger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I dunno about the Ford units, but the Sprintex superchargers use a teflon star shaped coupling in the snout which is a consumable/sacrificial part.

Costs 20 bucks and I can, (and have), fitted it on the side of the road with just a 6mm allen key.

So $1500 should be an extremely generous budget for this repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping
Not sure what tyres the FGX comes with but if it had those factory Dunlops that the FG had well yeh no wonder it didn't handle great. Around Winton those Dunlops are 4 secs slower than a decent set.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
Old 31-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #40
kempy311
BEN

Quote:

If it wasn't under warranty I wouldn't waste time with the stock charger. Straight to a 2.6 kenne bell.
331rwkw.

Old 31-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #41
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
by all means .....please show us a comparable car on the same track with similar horses in the wet and comparable times, other than the holden variant.
why exclude the holden?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #42
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Looks like a M4 and a Jaguar F Type R were there. The latter known for its engine over powering the rest of the car. Just have to wait and see the results.

Not the same price range but a comparable layout and power. This is what we're trying to find out, if the layout/power is the issue or the quality of the chassis.
Old 31-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #43
Pilko FNQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
They don't mess around changing the coupling they supply a whole new supercharger.
So under warranty a whole new supercharger goes on....not repaired?
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #44
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
So under warranty a whole new supercharger goes on....not repaired?
Yes... then the supercharger is repaired and fitted to the apprentices Datsun

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #45
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
A 9 second street legal Datsun

Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
why exclude the holden?
because it has been done to death.
Old 31-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #47
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
because it has been done to death.
to me the brand is irrelevant, can a blown eight maintain traction is the question...

bring on all comers.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #48
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can trace almost all the handling woes of BA onwards falcons to the design of the rear suspension. It's a rubbish adaptation of a front wheel drive layout. They should have stuck with the heavier but technically superior double wishbone from the AU.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #49
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon View Post
You can trace almost all the handling woes of BA onwards falcons to the design of the rear suspension. It's a rubbish adaptation of a front wheel drive layout. They should have stuck with the heavier but technically superior double wishbone from the AU.
The IRS in the AU is orders of magnitude better than the "Control Blade" setup. Had the carrier and wishbones been recast in aluminium or magnesium for BA (and fixed the upper shock mounts), the current car would be a proper handling weapon.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #50
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The AU IRS is the best handling Falcon I have ever driven.

The double wishbone IRS was however very expensive to manufacture and heavy and the Control Blade IRS was/is more compact, easier and cheaper to manufacture, easier to install on the line, and of course we know how Ford love cost savings
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Thats showing your age
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote